U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 07:11 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,860,279 times

Advertisements

Anyone else notice this trend?

Cowherd and others have been ripping certain teams for bringing in defensive minded coaches. Or at least he sure has ripped my Bills for doing so. Well, he better also be ripping the Jets, the 49ers, and the Raiders now as well. All have "shaky" QB situations for various reasons. The thought is that the HC needs to be offensive minded in order to develop the QB. I have always thought that is a bunch of baloney. Personally, I think a QB either has the skills or doesn't. Plus, just let the OC handle it.

Look at the four coaches remaining in the conference championship games. Only Mike McCarthy is an offensive guy. Is it a coincidence that the year the Pack won they had their best and most opportunistic defense of the Rodgers era?

My other thought has always been that a good QB gets you to the dance, as in playoffs. But a good to great defense puts you over the top. It isn't good enough to just have a great QB in today's NFL because the competition you face in the playoffs will also have a great QB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 07:32 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,678,820 times
Agree 100% with what you've said. It comes down in most cases having an elite QB and a very good defense to put you over the top...

I like the Jets, and see them and the Bills as in a very similar situation...

Old 01-16-2015, 11:41 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,128,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Anyone else notice this trend?

Cowherd and others have been ripping certain teams for bringing in defensive minded coaches. Or at least he sure has ripped my Bills for doing so. Well, he better also be ripping the Jets, the 49ers, and the Raiders now as well. All have "shaky" QB situations for various reasons. The thought is that the HC needs to be offensive minded in order to develop the QB. I have always thought that is a bunch of baloney. Personally, I think a QB either has the skills or doesn't. Plus, just let the OC handle it.

Look at the four coaches remaining in the conference championship games. Only Mike McCarthy is an offensive guy. Is it a coincidence that the year the Pack won they had their best and most opportunistic defense of the Rodgers era?

My other thought has always been that a good QB gets you to the dance, as in playoffs. But a good to great defense puts you over the top. It isn't good enough to just have a great QB in today's NFL because the competition you face in the playoffs will also have a great QB.
Didn't really know what to think about the recent hires of defensive-minded coaches, but you make a good point about the QB's being under the OC's.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:11 PM

32,479 posts, read 26,364,993 times
a QB doesnt need to be the best in the league, they just have to be good enough if you build an offense around them. as for the head coach, i think they should be defensive minded. look at dallas over the past few seasons for instance. poor defense, and a on dimensional offense, kept them out of the playoffs. this year they improved their defense, and went to a two dimensional offense, and they won their division, as well as their first playoff game, and had a real shot at beating green bay.

i think del rio will be a good choice for the raiders.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:52 PM

8 posts, read 3,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
a QB doesnt need to be the best in the league, they just have to be good enough if you build an offense around them. as for the head coach, i think they should be defensive minded. look at dallas over the past few seasons for instance. poor defense, and a on dimensional offense, kept them out of the playoffs. this year they improved their defense, and went to a two dimensional offense, and they won their division, as well as their first playoff game, and had a real shot at beating green bay.

i think del rio will be a good choice for the raiders.
The argument to that is the Colts are here with a lousy defense and a one dimensional offense....Seattle has a great defense but a one dimensional offense

Old 01-16-2015, 02:15 PM

21,201 posts, read 30,404,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillyweed View Post
The argument to that is the Colts are here with a lousy defense and a one dimensional offense....Seattle has a great defense but a one dimensional offense
Except that's really not an accurate argument. The Colts rank 12th in total defense which sounds pretty balanced to me, though certainly not as impressive and let's not forget the Colts have averaged about 100 yards a game rushing in the postseason so far. Seattle's offense is hardly one dimensional and tends toward a team approach versus one or two key guys with outrageous stats, which is a pretty smart strategy and hard to prepare for. For what it's worth of the top 10 offenses and top 10 defenses overall only two top offenses (#3 Indianapolis and #6 Green Bay) remain in the playoffs while only just one top defense remains (#1 Seattle). Interesting note: Just half of the top 10 defensive teams in the league made it to the playoffs, while just 6 of the top 10 offensive teams made it to the playoffs.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:22 PM

8 posts, read 3,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Except that's really not an accurate argument. The Colts rank 12th in total defense which sounds pretty balanced to me, though certainly not as impressive and let's not forget the Colts have averaged about 100 yards a game rushing in the postseason so far. Seattle's offense is hardly one dimensional and tends toward a team approach versus one or two key guys with outrageous stats, which is a pretty smart strategy and hard to prepare for. For what it's worth of the top 10 offenses and top 10 defenses overall only two top offenses (#3 Indianapolis and #6 Green Bay) remain in the playoffs while only just one top defense remains (#1 Seattle). Interesting note: Just half of the top 10 defensive teams in the league made it to the playoffs, while just 6 of the top 10 offensive teams made it to the playoffs.
Kyle, here is my issue with stats, they can mislead. To get that 12th ranked defense, they played the Jags twice, the Titans twice and the Texans twice. 3 horrible offenses. What happened when they played good teams? Pittsburgh, NE, Dallas and Denver basically blew them off the field during regular season. Now because they had 2 decent efforts, they have a good defense?

Old 01-17-2015, 07:55 AM

2,532 posts, read 4,960,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillyweed View Post
Kyle, here is my issue with stats, they can mislead. To get that 12th ranked defense, they played the Jags twice, the Titans twice and the Texans twice. 3 horrible offenses. What happened when they played good teams? Pittsburgh, NE, Dallas and Denver basically blew them off the field during regular season. Now because they had 2 decent efforts, they have a good defense?
Good points. It is amazing that the Pats ran up 200+ yards rushing in each of the last two games they played against the Colts... It is nearly impossible to win with such a poor run defense...

Looking at the Colts schedule, they beat two good teams: Ravens, Bengals. But they lost to the Bronco's, Patriots, Steelers, and the Cowboys. Not too good against the better teams....

The Pats play in a weak division as well with the Bills, Dolphins and Jets. This year they beat most of the good teams they played (Colts, Bengals, Bronos, Lions, Chargers). Lost to the Packers and Chiefs, both on the road....

Of course, all of that is ancient history on Sunday. The Colts have shown they belong by beating the Bronos in Denver. That is a significant accomplishment...

Old 01-17-2015, 05:33 PM

25,630 posts, read 30,453,311 times
Jack Del Rio was a head coach for 9 years. Certainly can't really be grouped into this thread.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:40 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,860,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Jack Del Rio was a head coach for 9 years. Certainly can't really be grouped into this thread.
I'm not referring to just DC's. I'm talking defensive minded coaches in general wether they are HC, DC's or D-line coaches (Tomsula).

John Fox goes to Chicago with the QB issues they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or