U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Who's Going to Win Super Bowl 49 (Feb 1, 2015)
New England Patriots 56 49.56%
Seattle Seahawks 57 50.44%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2015, 01:45 PM
 
11,057 posts, read 3,769,687 times
Reputation: 5197

Advertisements

Pats barely beat the #6 Ravens who finished 3rd in their division and barely made the playoffs and the Hawks barely beat the #2 seed in the Packers who finished 1st in the division.

Beating the Packers is more impressive than this year's Ravens.


If the Pats can run the ball on the Hawks they have a chance....if not, I don't see Brady beating the #1 pass defense in the NFL with his arm and throwing it 50 times like he did against the #23 ranked pass defense of the Ravens....that is not going to work on the Hawks.

 
Old 01-19-2015, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
8,260 posts, read 9,567,563 times
Reputation: 8198
I know QB's get all the glory and the hot chicks, blah, blah, blah, but defense still wins championships, I'm going with Seattle.
 
Old 01-19-2015, 01:54 PM
 
11,057 posts, read 3,769,687 times
Reputation: 5197
people are jumping on the Pats bandwagon because of the Colts win. Nothing new here, Pats own the Colts so 1 sided for the past 3 years, nothing new here.

but people easily forget that just a week before, the #6 seed Ravens who barely made the playoffs and finished 3rd in their division almost beat the Pats and the Ravens scored 31 points and Forsett (the replacement for Ray Rice) rushed for 130 yards on this Pats defense.


Giants and Ravens put out the blue print in beating the Pats.....physical defense, limit the run and have a power running game to control the clock to limit Brady's attempts and leave him on the sideline.


Pats had a better chance against the Packers but still I pick the Packers to beat the Patriots but against the Hawks, its a bad matchup for the Pats.
 
Old 01-19-2015, 02:09 PM
 
Location: New England
186 posts, read 265,074 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
people are jumping on the Pats bandwagon because of the Colts win. Nothing new here, Pats own the Colts so 1 sided for the past 3 years, nothing new here.

but people easily forget that just a week before, the #6 seed Ravens who barely made the playoffs and finished 3rd in their division almost beat the Pats and the Ravens scored 31 points and Forsett (the replacement for Ray Rice) rushed for 130 yards on this Pats defense.


Giants and Ravens put out the blue print in beating the Pats.....physical defense, limit the run and have a power running game to control the clock to limit Brady's attempts and leave him on the sideline.


Pats had a better chance against the Packers but still I pick the Packers to beat the Patriots but against the Hawks, its a bad matchup for the Pats.
What happened last week or yesterday doesn't mean squat when it comes to predicting the outcome of the Super Bowl. If you want to go down that road, then I can say that there's no way the Seahawks are going to win because they had 5 interceptions yesterday. See how that works?

I get it - you're a Seahawks fan and you want them to win, and you think they're going to. I've got no problem with that, but your argument doesn't make sense.

I know all your talking points about the great Seattle D, and I admit they're going to be tough. I think, however, with 2 weeks to prepare that Belichick is going to prove to be a far better coach than Pete Carroll, who was NOT a good coach in New England. Whether that means the Pats are going to win or not, I don't know. The one guy who really scares me as a Pats fan is Russell Wilson, especially if he gets outside the pocket...
 
Old 01-19-2015, 02:19 PM
 
6,469 posts, read 3,467,398 times
Reputation: 10265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
do you have short memory???? Didn't the #6 Ravens who barely made the playoffs and came 3rd in their division almost beat the Patriots. Didn't the Ravens scored 31 points and Forsett rushed for 130 yards on the Pats defense and the Pats could only rush for 17 yards?????

the only reason the Ravens lost the game was that their pass defense is weak and ranked #23 in the NFL because of injuries all season that they had to put back up players in the secondary that couldn't cover or tackle.....you think the Hawks are in the same situation as the Ravens in the secondary?

who resembles more the Ravens but are better, the Hawks or the Colts?.......Hawks play the same type of football as the Ravens but better and more physical. Better defense, better running game and unlike Flacco, Wilson can run and scramble for yards or to find open receivers.

If Patriots are better than the Packers (you based this on what?, the Colts game?) explain why did the Packers beat the Patriots in November?

Packers dominated the Patriots in time of possession 36 minutes to 23 minutes. Rodgers outplayed Brady by passing for 368 yards to Brady 245 yards.....Packers also outrushed the Patriots 130 yards to 84 yards.

don't make a big deal about the Patriots win over the Colts....Pats have dominated the Colts this way for the past 3 years. Colts have nothing similar to the Hawks.........if you want a preview of the Super Bowl, go watch the Ravens/Pats game and add that the Hawks are like the Ravens but on DROIDS......unlike the Ravens pass defense who are rank #23 because of injuries, the Hawk are ranked #1 and are very physical, that's how you beat Brady and the Pats.

and the injuries of Sherman and Thomas would have a valid point if they had to play next week but they have 2 weeks (basically a BYE week) for the SB in a warm weather......I don't see that an issue.
The Ravens match up well against the Patriots. Packers barely won at home. Stats are useless - the Pats always bend but don't break, giving up lots of yards. And the fact that if the offense sputters the D can hold, and if the D sputters the offense can put up points is a good compliment. Yesterday both sides of the ball played lights out.

Wilson can run, but the Pats D can get him with Collins and others. Revis and Browner can hold the wide outs. I think the Pats match up better against Seattle then the Ravens. But of course match ups won't matter on game day - execution will. In the end, the team who executes better will win, period. Green Bay totally faltered in the end, and those two 4th and goals where they opted for field goals was a bad omen.

I'm not worried about Seattle, and I assume Seattle fans aren't worried about the Pats.

In two weeks the best team on that given Sunday will win and we'll have a champion. Until then, we can have all of this fun chattering.
 
Old 01-19-2015, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,577 posts, read 7,288,390 times
Reputation: 37479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Pats barely beat the #6 Ravens who finished 3rd in their division and barely made the playoffs and the Hawks barely beat the #2 seed in the Packers who finished 1st in the division.

Beating the Packers is more impressive than this year's Ravens.

If the Pats can run the ball on the Hawks they have a chance....if not, I don't see Brady beating the #1 pass defense in the NFL with his arm and throwing it 50 times like he did against the #23 ranked pass defense of the Ravens....that is not going to work on the Hawks.
Actually beating the Ravens is far more impressive than winning only because:
1) The other team couldn't cover an onside kick that went right to a tight end, and
2) The luck of the overtime coin toss (because, unlike the Patriots, Seattle couldn't manage to hold the lead that it grabbed late in regulation, allowing the other team to tie it up)

That said, this Super Bowl match-up is obviously one in which a victory by either team would not be at all surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I know QB's get all the glory and the hot chicks, blah, blah, blah, but defense still wins championships, I'm going with Seattle.
In cliche-land, perhaps - but not in the real world.

http://www.nfl.com/features/freakonomics/episode-15
 
Old 01-19-2015, 02:56 PM
 
894 posts, read 840,905 times
Reputation: 2633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Playing in the AFC East where the Pats have NO competition on offense helps a lot in making the playoffs. (Buffalo, Miami and Jets have NO solid QB for years)
That's a good point and why I don't much stock in the Patriots dominating yesterday. The Colts are nowhere near the caliber of Seattle or Green Bay. The Pats will be facing an entirely different animal in two weeks. I think they can pull it out if everyone plays well, but I think they would have had a better chance against a banged up Rodgers and the Packers.
 
Old 01-19-2015, 03:07 PM
 
2,286 posts, read 1,513,671 times
Reputation: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
In cliche-land, perhaps - but not in the real world.

NFL.com - Freakonomics Episode 15
Even in cases where those stats "prove" otherwise, defense still wins championships. The Pats held a great St. Louis team to 17 points (even if they were ranked 24 apparently that year); the Colts, though ranked 28, played great defense on their SB run, especially Sanders. The Ravens' defense was pretty bad in 2012, but in the playoffs it was terrific. There may be some teams that legitimately won the SB with offense, but anything since 2000 I'd argue defense won championships. Even the 1999 Rams won it with defense. Anything before that I don't really remember clearly (or didn't watch).

Of course Manning and Flacco had to be good in the playoffs too. I'm not saying you have to Dilfer your way to a SB (actually he had his moments that postseason, too). But defense still wins SBs.

Last edited by rarog; 01-19-2015 at 03:29 PM..
 
Old 01-19-2015, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,744 posts, read 6,316,089 times
Reputation: 11571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Best ever? But you predict a 10 plus point win?

Does not compute.
My exact reaction to that post. But, for what its worth, my money is on the Seahawks.
 
Old 01-19-2015, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
8,260 posts, read 9,567,563 times
Reputation: 8198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Actually beating the Ravens is far more impressive than winning only because:
1) The other team couldn't cover an onside kick that went right to a tight end, and
2) The luck of the overtime coin toss (because, unlike the Patriots, Seattle couldn't manage to hold the lead that it grabbed late in regulation, allowing the other team to tie it up)

That said, this Super Bowl match-up is obviously one in which a victory by either team would not be at all surprising.



In cliche-land, perhaps - but not in the real world.

NFL.com - Freakonomics Episode 15
Lol, So I guess last year when seattle defense destroyed the great Peyton Manning that was just my imagination? And in 2007 when the patriots were undefeated going into the game they had the great Tom Brady and Randy Moss and Giants Defense lead by Michael Strahan and the rest of the D line kicked the **** out of Tom Brady and held the pats to 14 points was also a "cliche".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top