Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 07:08 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,595,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
By and large the refs have not had a good playoff. They touch the ball before every play, so one would think they should be able to tell right away something was off.
Well, it brings into question how under deflated were the balls? They need to be what, between 14-15 ounces? Were the 11 under deflated balls like 13.8 ounces? That may be hard to notice.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:10 AM

7,274 posts, read 5,263,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Actually, that probably makes it more plausible that it was the cold.

I'm no Patriots defender, but I have to be fair here. If you inflate 12 balls with 75-degree air, and take them out into 40-degree ambient temperatures, they should all contract about the same. I'm not going to go so far as to say that's what happened, but I can accept that it could have been that way.
For all we know, it could just be a moronic employee of the Patriots who had no clue how to inflate the ball for the weather conditions that day. People make mistakes, and this could have been a grave error especially given the Pats are forever saddled with Spy Gate.

Unless we know every last detail as to this story, we may never know the whole truth. To point fingers at the entire organization using cheating words to me is unfair. I cannot believe every employee knows about this.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:12 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,595,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Actually, that probably makes it more plausible that it was the cold.

I'm no Patriots defender, but I have to be fair here. If you inflate 12 balls with 75-degree air, and take them out into 40-degree ambient temperatures, they should all contract about the same. I'm not going to go so far as to say that's what happened, but I can accept that it could have been that way.
It was also a mild temperature I believe. I think it was in the 50's at kick-off pretty warm for that time of year in new england. If it is the temperature, why don't we see this more with all the games that are played in the 20's and 30's or below.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:12 AM

30,566 posts, read 18,069,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I have not gotten confirmation about this. I have read and heard on the radio that this is not the case. The Pats played with their (deflated) balls and the Colts played with theirs (non deflated) balls.

When I originally read the story, that is how I read it but then i have read several other articles and heard on the radio that only the Pats had access to these deflated balls..
Very interesting. Will certainly investigate further! That would definitely change my perception of things.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:27 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,644,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
For all we know, it could just be a moronic employee of the Patriots who had no clue how to inflate the ball for the weather conditions that day. People make mistakes, and this could have been a grave error especially given the Pats are forever saddled with Spy Gate.

Unless we know every last detail as to this story, we may never know the whole truth. To point fingers at the entire organization using cheating words to me is unfair. I cannot believe every employee knows about this.
That's the catch really. The balls were inspected prior to the game.. even weighed to confirm the meets specs, so the deflation occurred after the fact. In fact, the balls remain in the officials possession until just before the game when they are given to the ball boy from each team.

IMO 2 psi is a bit much for these balls to deflate due to weather. If that were the case, then the Colts footballs would have lost 2 psi as well and they did not at least i have not heard such. I have to believe that if the NFL's investigation includes inspecting the Patriots 12 footballs as well as the Colts 12 footballs. So, how could the weather discriminate and only cause the Patriots footballs to lose air.. sorry the weather excuse is not valid, IMO!

Old 01-21-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
That's the catch really. The balls were inspected prior to the game.. even weighed to confirm the meets specs, so the deflation occurred after the fact. In fact, the balls remain in the officials possession until just before the game when they are given to the ball boy from each team.

IMO 2 psi is a bit much for these balls to deflate due to weather. If that were the case, then the Colts footballs would have lost 2 psi as well and they did not at least i have not heard such. I have to believe that if the NFL's investigation includes inspecting the Patriots 12 footballs as well as the Colts 12 footballs. So, how could the weather discriminate and only cause the Patriots footballs to lose air.. sorry the weather excuse is not valid, IMO!
Trust me, I know.

And if you notice, even though I am a die hard Pats fan, I'm not going to sit here and brush it off as outsiders whining.

If all balls on both teams were looked at, then of course it's not weather related because both teams balls would have the same effect. And I wouldn't believe balls could be handled on the sidelines differently by both teams to cause one teams balls to deflate and not the other.

I just think all of the cheat talk over the years in unfair to the players who play the game. It's fairly obvious that the balls did not make the score so lopsided against the Colts - they would have lost anyways. But to now assume this has happened for a while (which haters will say) makes me wonder why now? You would think in a close game like the Ravens, that would have been the game if caught fingers could more easily be pointed for an advantage. But in a blowout game like the Colts? Just seems weird to me.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:39 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,064,474 times
The sad thing is, that Brady's record as a QB is now called into question. If the refs couldn't tell the difference during the first half, how many games could this have been going on unnoticed? Didn't they strip Lance Armstrong of all his medals after the fact because he may have had an unfair advantage?

Old 01-21-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
The sad thing is, that Brady's record as a QB is now called into question. If the refs couldn't tell the difference during the first half, how many games could this have been going on unnoticed? Didn't they strip Lance Armstrong of all his medals after the fact because he may have had an unfair advantage?
That's why I am at odds with this whole story. I'm not saying it didn't happen. But why this game, an obvious blowout regardless? Why not the Ravens game if they were doing it all along, a game in which one slight advantage could have made the difference between winning and losing? I'm sorry, but there is no denying Brady's greatness - I watch the game and watch him play. He deserves his accolades.

I'm mad as a Pats fan to see this organization tied to such things. But I'm also not naive to read the stories over the years of other teams bending the rules. But the Pats have the target on them due to their success. If they were Jacksonville or Oakland, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:43 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,064,474 times
Quote:
Trust me, I know.

And if you notice, even though I am a die hard Pats fan, I'm not going to sit here and brush it off as outsiders whining.

If all balls on both teams were looked at, then of course it's not weather related because both teams balls would have the same effect. And I wouldn't believe balls could be handled on the sidelines differently by both teams to cause one teams balls to deflate and not the other.

I just think all of the cheat talk over the years in unfair to the players who play the game. It's fairly obvious that the balls did not make the score so lopsided against the Colts - they would have lost anyways. But to now assume this has happened for a while (which haters will say) makes me wonder why now? You would think in a close game like the Ravens, that would have been the game if caught fingers could more easily be pointed for an advantage. But in a blowout game like the Colts? Just seems weird to me.
But, now that they have been caught, it calls the Ravens game into question, doesn't it? We've already hashed out the formation trickery, and, while the NFL says it was legal, it does show the mindset of Bellichik. Anything for a win.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:49 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,644,866 times
Quote:
Trust me, I know.

I agree that it is unfair for the players, at least the ones who had no knowledge what so ever.. But.. if the LB for the Colts recognized the ball was under inflated, then obviously the Pats QB, receivers and RB knew as well. Maybe its a common occurrence and balls are often under inflated but no one thinks twice about it and Colts were a bit POed about the result of the game and decided to point this out.. i don't know. I would hope that other teams/players would come and speak on the subject one way or the other.. Surely the refs know how often they have to remove a ball from play because of this and surely they are being questioned during the investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.