U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 07:57 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,464,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
But, now that they have been caught, it calls the Ravens game into question, doesn't it? We've already hashed out the formation trickery, and, while the NFL says it was legal, it does show the mindset of Bellichik. Anything for a win.
Forget the "trickery" play. I'm sorry, but in that case I'll attribute it to Belichick's genius for being able to know the rule book inside out and do something legal no one else has done before because he understands the rules as written.

But yes, I would think it calls all past games into question. But, in ALL past games, why weren't any balls noticed by officials or other players? Why have I never heard of balls in Pats games being cycled out for inflation problems? If it was so obvious against the Colts, it would be equally obvious any other time. So again, this whole story smells of something, but as of now, I do not know what.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:57 AM

6,425 posts, read 4,186,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I agree that it is unfair for the players, at least the ones who had no knowledge what so ever.. But.. if the LB for the Colts recognized the ball was under inflated, then obviously the Pats QB, receivers and RB knew as well. Maybe its a common occurrence and balls are often under inflated but no one thinks twice about it and Colts were a bit POed about the result of the game and decided to point this out.. i don't know. I would hope that other teams/players would come and speak on the subject one way or the other.. Surely the refs know how often they have to remove a ball from play because of this and surely they are being questioned during the investigation.
Football is a team sport. If even just one player on a team cheats, then all the players may benefit from it. Brady and all his receivers, as well as the center could have been aware of it. Or at least should have been aware of it. Especially when the defender who caught the interception noticed it right away.

If you think it is unfair to taint the other players on the team, then how do you feel about the unfairness to all the players on the other team(s)?

Old 01-21-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Football is a team sport. If even just one player on a team cheats, then all the players may benefit from it. Brady and all his receivers, as well as the center could have been aware of it. Or at least should have been aware of it. Especially when the defender who caught the interception noticed it right away.

If you think it is unfair to taint the other players on the team, then how do you feel about the unfairness to all the players on the other team(s)?
I understand what you are saying. And I said before I find it strange that all the offensive players on the Pats side couldn't (or won't admit to) feeling the difference. But I can't see how it happened in all past games and only noticed now. And I can't see how ball inflation would have made that much of a difference in the Colts game seeing as it was such domination in the way the game was played at the line. If it happened ion the Ravens game, why wasn't it noticed? That game was so close that one could say it could make a difference.

I still just don't know. Brady has been slinging for 14 years. Assuming he plays with regulation balls every other time except for last week, it would affect his game, which is maybe why he only threw for 226 as opposed to 350+ against the Ravens with a regulation ball.

I will continue to say that right now this thing smells fishy in some way shape or form.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:05 AM

And to my point about other teams doing things:

NFL aware of game ball incident during Vikings-Panthers - ESPN

Again, I'm not diminishing the facts, but only how one team continues to get the finger pointed assuming they are the only ones.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I understand what you are saying. And I said before I find it strange that all the offensive players on the Pats side couldn't (or won't admit to) feeling the difference. But I can't see how it happened in all past games and only noticed now. And I can't see how ball inflation would have made that much of a difference in the Colts game seeing as it was such domination in the way the game was played at the line. If it happened ion the Ravens game, why wasn't it noticed? That game was so close that one could say it could make a difference.

I still just don't know. Brady has been slinging for 14 years. Assuming he plays with regulation balls every other time except for last week, it would affect his game, which is maybe why he only threw for 226 as opposed to 350+ against the Ravens with a regulation ball.

I will continue to say that right now this thing smells fishy in some way shape or form.
The higher number of passing yards against the Ravens are attributed to the fact they couldn't run the ball effectively against them. The rushing yards in that game were extremely low. That would indicate that, if the balls were underinflated, it would have made an even greater difference in their winning the game.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:15 AM

Another thing to consider is that, if it is easier to pass and catch an underinflated ball, it is also easier for running backs to keep a tight hold on the ball and avoid fumbles. So it is not just the passing game that gains an advantage.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:23 AM

9,623 posts, read 4,612,445 times
Quote:
And to my point about other teams doing things:

NFL aware of game ball incident during Vikings-Panthers - ESPN

Again, I'm not diminishing the facts, but only how one team continues to get the finger pointed assuming they are the only ones.
And Aaron Rodgers says that he like balls overinflated. Where are the complaints about that? Isn't that a rules violation too?

Old 01-21-2015, 08:23 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,213,244 times
Quote:
Another thing to consider is that, if it is easier to pass and catch an underinflated ball, it is also easier for running backs to keep a tight hold on the ball and avoid fumbles. So it is not just the passing game that gains an advantage.

Sure, and both teams play with the same balls, so no issues.

Of course, the cold air would decrease the pressure. They are filled and weighed inside in warmth then brought out into the elements.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:25 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,213,244 times
Quote:
Forget the "trickery" play. I'm sorry, but in that case I'll attribute it to Belichick's genius for being able to know the rule book inside out and do something legal no one else has done before because he understands the rules as written.

Oh, others have done it. The ineligible formation thing? It was done several times in the NFL this year by other teams. It's done all the time in college and high school. It was nothing new by NE.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:26 AM

9,623 posts, read 4,612,445 times
The officials check the air pressure when the balls are brought out to the field. The balls then sit in plain sight. So for any team to alter the air pressure, an official would need to be in on it. I think the whole thing was just to get something started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or