U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 11:36 AM

77 posts, read 79,654 times

Advertisements

So many drama queens on here.

Let me give you all a reality check.

Teams have always "cheated". Be it by stealing signals during a game (why do you think coaches cover their mouths with their play sheets), scouting opponents practices, getting info from newly signed players, videotaping (yes, videotaping, look up Jimmy Johnson's statement on it)

They've ALL done it. The reason The Patriots took the fall for it comes down to one rat, er, person: Eric Mangini. Mangini was butthurt about leaving New England so he ratted them out, end of story.

People inside football know the witch hunt against New England was a farce, and most of them breathed a sigh of relief that it wasn't them that took the fall.

But now that New England has this tag on them, opponents are going to try to rat them out if they can.

Does anyone really believe this is the only team that's ever done this?

If so, you are naive.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:43 AM

28,456 posts, read 15,436,866 times
The text from the ESPN article.

11 of 12 Pats footballs underinflated

The NFL has found that 11 of the New England Patriots' 12 game balls were inflated significantly below the NFL's requirements, league sources involved and familiar with the investigation of Sunday's AFC Championship Game told ESPN.

The investigation found the footballs were inflated 2 pounds per square inch below what's required by NFL regulations during the Pats' 45-7 victory over the Indianapolis Colts, according to sources.

During that game, Colts safety Mike Adams twice intercepted Tom Brady and gave the balls to the Colts' equipment manager to save -- and both times there were concerns about the balls feeling underinflated, sources told Schefter.

Brady's take...
"When Gronk scores ... he spikes the ball and he deflates the ball. I love that, because I like the deflated ball," Brady said then of tight end Rob Gronkowski. "But I feel bad for that football, because he puts everything he can into those spikes."

I wonder if he directly denied knowledge of altering the footballs...

Old 01-21-2015, 11:51 AM

28,456 posts, read 15,436,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gringo View Post
So many drama queens on here.

Let me give you all a reality check.

Teams have always "cheated". Be it by stealing signals during a game (why do you think coaches cover their mouths with their play sheets), scouting opponents practices, getting info from newly signed players, videotaping (yes, videotaping, look up Jimmy Johnson's statement on it)

They've ALL done it. The reason The Patriots took the fall for it comes down to one rat, er, person: Eric Mangini. Mangini was butthurt about leaving New England so he ratted them out, end of story.

People inside football know the witch hunt against New England was a farce, and most of them breathed a sigh of relief that it wasn't them that took the fall.

But now that New England has this tag on them, opponents are going to try to rat them out if they can.

Does anyone really believe this is the only team that's ever done this?

If so, you are naive.
Most people exceed the speed limit on the freeways. If five cars are going 20 mph and you are the one the police stops - are you going to complain about the others when the cop asks how fast you were going? Will that sway the cop from not giving you a ticket? Probably not. You broke the law regardless of what everyone else does.

Patriots not looking good here.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:13 PM

8,083 posts, read 5,289,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The text from the ESPN article.

11 of 12 Pats footballs underinflated

The NFL has found that 11 of the New England Patriots' 12 game balls were inflated significantly below the NFL's requirements, league sources involved and familiar with the investigation of Sunday's AFC Championship Game told ESPN.

The investigation found the footballs were inflated 2 pounds per square inch below what's required by NFL regulations during the Pats' 45-7 victory over the Indianapolis Colts, according to sources.

During that game, Colts safety Mike Adams twice intercepted Tom Brady and gave the balls to the Colts' equipment manager to save -- and both times there were concerns about the balls feeling underinflated, sources told Schefter.

Brady's take...
"When Gronk scores ... he spikes the ball and he deflates the ball. I love that, because I like the deflated ball," Brady said then of tight end Rob Gronkowski. "But I feel bad for that football, because he puts everything he can into those spikes."

I wonder if he directly denied knowledge of altering the footballs...
Tommy likes deflated ballz?? One ball must hang lower than the other.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:44 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,489,472 times
The Colts lost by 35 ^%^*ing points! Who cares whether they used regulation-sized balls, over-inflated balls, under-inflated balls, or nerf footballs! Are the Colts going to make up 35 points using the regulation balls?? I highly doubt it, and in that case who the hell cares!

Old 01-21-2015, 12:51 PM

9,071 posts, read 15,032,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
The Colts lost by 35 ^%^*ing points! Who cares whether they used regulation-sized balls, over-inflated balls, under-inflated balls, or nerf footballs! Are the Colts going to make up 35 points using the regulation balls?? I highly doubt it, and in that case who the hell cares!
No, but the suspicion is extending to other games too, such as the Pats 35-31 divisional round game against the Ravens. That game was certainly close enough that a small advantage could have tipped the game.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:58 PM

990 posts, read 1,514,187 times
wrong plus wrong equals wrong

Old 01-21-2015, 01:33 PM

240 posts, read 205,888 times
If the Patriots gained an advantage by using an uninflated ball, wouldn't the opposing team have the same advantage when it gained possession of the same ball?

Old 01-21-2015, 01:42 PM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 27 days ago)

58,174 posts, read 40,973,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Eh, yes there should be punishment for cheaters, but let's keep things in proportion here: no team had the advantage as both played with deflated balls. So invalidating the Pat's win, who were clearly the better team, would seem to be a bit excessive.
Teams get their own set of balls when they have possession, where/when was it said both teams' balls had low pressure?

Old 01-21-2015, 01:44 PM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 27 days ago)

58,174 posts, read 40,973,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
If the Patriots gained an advantage by using an uninflated ball, wouldn't the opposing team have the same advantage when it gained possession of the same ball?
They don't gain possession of the same ball, different QBs like them prepared differently and each team gets their own when possession changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or