U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 01:45 PM

58,188 posts, read 41,002,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Brady's take...
"When Gronk scores ... he spikes the ball and he deflates the ball. I love that, because I like the deflated ball," Brady said then of tight end Rob Gronkowski. "But I feel bad for that football, because he puts everything he can into those spikes."

I wonder if he directly denied knowledge of altering the footballs...
WOW! Gronk scored eleven times?

Old 01-21-2015, 01:48 PM

672 posts, read 617,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
The Colts lost by 35 ^%^*ing points! Who cares whether they used regulation-sized balls, over-inflated balls, under-inflated balls, or nerf footballs! Are the Colts going to make up 35 points using the regulation balls?? I highly doubt it, and in that case who the hell cares!
Absolutely, but unfortunately, this is yet another stain on Bellichick and his propensity to be willing to cheat. This is not what people should be talking about, but they are, and they will talk about it for a long, long time. Again, it boggles the mind, because the man has enough smarts, and the team is talented enough that they shouldn't resort to cheating, but he seems so obsessed with winning that he will go to any means to an end.

This is just another black mark that will taint the legacy of this team, coach and QB.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:52 PM

10,543 posts, read 12,015,068 times
Quote:
The Colts lost by 35 ^%^*ing points! Who cares whether they used regulation-sized balls, over-inflated balls, under-inflated balls, or nerf footballs! Are the Colts going to make up 35 points using the regulation balls?? I highly doubt it, and in that case who the hell cares!
No, but the Patriots didn't know that would happen when they did it. They did it in case it would make a difference. Is the defense really. "yeah we cheated but it didn't help us as much as we thought, so you shouldn't care?"

Old 01-21-2015, 01:57 PM

6,422 posts, read 4,181,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The Colts did not know the balls were under inflated until the 2nd quarter Jackson interception.
Word is that they suspected the Pats were doing this when they played back in November.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:00 PM

58,188 posts, read 41,002,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
No, but the Patriots didn't know that would happen when they did it. They did it in case it would make a difference. Is the defense really. "yeah we cheated but it didn't help us as much as we thought, so you shouldn't care?"
I think it's more like "We know the NFL is run by a bunch of chickens**ts"

Old 01-21-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
But it is likely that the Pats did the same thing the week before when they beat the Ravens by only 4 points. If so, maybe the Ravens could have won that game without the deflated balls, and Indy would have been playing the Ravens at home for the AFC championship.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:07 PM

I was listening to the Dan Patrick show on XM, and someone mentioned that he wouldn't be surprised if Kraft dumped Belichick for this, after the Spygate scandal, the Hernandez scandal, and now this.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:25 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,013,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
NFL investigating if Patriots deflated footballs: report - NY Daily News

The Patriots may have deflated their footballs to make it easier to throw and catch. If true, the Patriots will lose draft picks.
When you consider Spy Gate and now Deflate Gate!!! Is that what they mean when they say
The Patriot Way??

Old 01-21-2015, 03:00 PM

6,455 posts, read 3,459,939 times
No matter what I read about this, I still say something smells about this whole thing. Beyond the fact of the deflated balls, for which we still have to wait a couple of days for the official report to come out, there are so many inconsistencies. I will base my comments on various other comments and conspiracies I have read in the past day.

It's amazing this came out only after the Patriots are on their way to the Super Bowl. If as others have mentioned that there have been suspicions of this occurring in the past, why did it take until now for it to come out?

To my point above, if this has been happening for who knows how long, are you telling me that no other interceptor of Brady would have called this out? No one else ever noticed this before? Plus, I am still at odds about the officials. I know the NFL wants to protect it's precious business that rakes in billions, but for all this time it's been slid under the table? If that were the case, then Vince McMahon is the secret owner and Goodell is a figurehead.

From a grip standpoint, of course there is an advantage to an under deflated ball. But let's look at Brady in this instance. I would imagine, a QB playing through college and into the pros is used to throwing a ball inflated to "x". If one day, in this case 14 years into a career, in one game balls are put into play under-inflated to "y", it would have greatly affected his game. It wouldn't make him better, but actually worse, because his mind and arm have been playing with a regulation ball for over a decade. I saw no difference in his game against the Colts than in any other game this year. He has missed receivers all year and at times been a tad off target. He wasn't magically spot on against the Colts, and actually had a pedestrian day, something he's had a few of this year. And back to previous point - if he's been throwing an under-inflated ball for 14 years, I totally call BS that it was never found out previously.

Conspiracy theory - in ANY sport, when you are considered one of the best, you have a target/bulls eye on you as everyone is gunning for you. The Patriots, before Spy Gate, had won 3 Super Bowls and playing consistent winning football. Before Spy Gate, most teams were taping (evidence abound on this). Once the Patriots made the stupid mistake of taping after the NFL letter came out warning against it, additional targets put on them. And most experts agreed that taping didn't offer any huge advantage, because if the Pats lined up perfectly the other team could have shifted and audibled pre snap. Who is to say the who and why of Deflategate. Was there a plant, someone who could profit somehow for deflating balls to get the already heavily scrutinized Patriots in more trouble?

Look, if any other fan of any other team sits here and says the Patriots are the ONLY team to do anything wrong, then you are mistaken. No other team has shown such consistency (and of course many will say it's because they cheated in the first place) in this era, not even close. No other team is as scrutinized.

What I think the Patriots should do (and of course they would not for many reasons) would be to have the owners, excluding Kraft, hire an investigating team to investigate the Patriots organization. We know the NFL's investigations could be partially covered-up to protect the business. So let this independent team interview past and present players and employees. Dig into the culture of the Patriots. See what dirt is dug up. Find out if it's the entire organization some individuals, the mafia, Las Vegas - whoever. And in that investigation, also look at other teams, because any sports fans should know other teams aren't squeaky clean either. Again, this would never happen because it potentially could blow up the entire worlds view of the NFL.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:22 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,223,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
The sad thing is, that Brady's record as a QB is now called into question. If the refs couldn't tell the difference during the first half, how many games could this have been going on unnoticed? Didn't they strip Lance Armstrong of all his medals after the fact because he may have had an unfair advantage?
Sorta OT here... but as the old NASCAR saying goes, it ain't cheating if everyone does it. Doping has been rampant in competitive cycling for over a century. Lance Armstrong got stripped of his medals not because he had an unfair advantage, but because he got caught. And he got caught primarily because he got the whole sport to hate his guts, including his own teammates. At least the Tour de France officials had the good sense to simply nullify the results of the years he won. If any of his other victories in other events were subsequently awarded to second-place riders, the irony is that those awards were given to people who were almost certainly doping too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
With regards to the refs not noticing during play that the balls were underinflated, one possibility could be that Goodell doesn't want the refs to bring something like this to attention if nobody (opposing team) is questioning it. It would be far better for Goodell and the league to just let it fly under the radar as long as everybody is cool with it. But once a team brings it into question the league has no choice but to look into the matter.
Kinda like everyone knows a lot of pitchers have pine tar or something similar hidden somewhere when they're out on the mound, but nobody wants to take that weapon away from their own pitchers who use it so they let it slide. That is, until you're obnoxiously obvious about it like Michael Pedata walking out with a wad of it on his neck so big that fans sitting along the third base line could see it.

Last edited by Drover; 01-21-2015 at 03:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or