U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 03:23 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,012,098 times

Advertisements

From a grip standpoint, of course there is an advantage to an under deflated ball. But let's look at Brady in this instance. I would imagine, a QB playing through college and into the pros is used to throwing a ball inflated to "x". If one day, in this case 14 years into a career, in one game balls are put into play under-inflated to "y", it would have greatly affected his game. It wouldn't make him better, but actually worse, because his mind and arm have been playing with a regulation ball for over a decade. I saw no difference in his game against the Colts than in any other game this year.

Not true, in conditions such as what they were that day, an under inflated ball is much better from a gripping standpoint. I guess the real question is why does the NFL have a psi requirment on footballs at all? Just make the psi to the liking of your own quarterback and call it good. One less regulation to look at. They don't regulate cleat spikes, why the air pressure of a football?

Old 01-21-2015, 03:29 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,187,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gringo View Post
So many drama queens on here.

Let me give you all a reality check.

Teams have always "cheated". Be it by stealing signals during a game (why do you think coaches cover their mouths with their play sheets), scouting opponents practices, getting info from newly signed players, videotaping (yes, videotaping, look up Jimmy Johnson's statement on it)

They've ALL done it. The reason The Patriots took the fall for it comes down to one rat, er, person: Eric Mangini. Mangini was butthurt about leaving New England so he ratted them out, end of story.

People inside football know the witch hunt against New England was a farce, and most of them breathed a sigh of relief that it wasn't them that took the fall.

But now that New England has this tag on them, opponents are going to try to rat them out if they can.

Does anyone really believe this is the only team that's ever done this?

If so, you are naive.
What you're saying then is cheating is part of the overall game strategy. If so, here's an idea: be better at it so you don't get caught. Don't whine about it if you're not as good as other teams at pulling it off. Buckle down and step up your game.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:30 PM

6,447 posts, read 3,455,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
From a grip standpoint, of course there is an advantage to an under deflated ball. But let's look at Brady in this instance. I would imagine, a QB playing through college and into the pros is used to throwing a ball inflated to "x". If one day, in this case 14 years into a career, in one game balls are put into play under-inflated to "y", it would have greatly affected his game. It wouldn't make him better, but actually worse, because his mind and arm have been playing with a regulation ball for over a decade. I saw no difference in his game against the Colts than in any other game this year.

Not true, in conditions such as what they were that day, an under inflated ball is much better from a gripping standpoint.
You're missing my point. If in one game over a 14 year span Brady played with a ball measurable under-inflated as compared to the rest of his career, how would that possibly help him? I've gone bowling and used balls I purchased that weigh "x". I've gone out and played with house balls which weigh different, and it throws off my game. Why? Because I perfected my game with balls that weighed "x", and it affected my release, spin, and trajectory with the different weight. In one game having a different grip would not make a QB throw more accurate. The only advantage I see is better grip on a wet ball and less chance of slippage. And maybe just maybe Brady only threw for 226 because those under inflated balls threw off his game.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So basically, cheating is part of the overall game strategy. If so, here's an idea: be better at it so you don't get caught. Don't whine about it if you're not as good as other teams at pulling it off. Buckle down and step up your game.
The Patriots aren't whining at all, just some overly homer fans. I am a huge Pats fan, and as you said, part of my unhappiness is now twice having them get caught at something stupid, whether or not it truly affected the outcome of the games.

The Pats DO have a target on them. Before and after Spy Gate they've played at a high level. As I previously stated, all teams/individuals in sports who are at the top are targeted, and it makes sense - knock down the best. The Pats (and probably Belichick the most) are too smart for their own good. I think they do know the rule book better then any other team. The problem is they think they are so smart they find the wrinkle and test it.

On the stupid side, their two "Gate" incidents. On the brilliant side, something like the line-up they did against the Ravens.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:40 PM

And one more point on Brady. The balls were questioned at half time, so the assumption would be in the 2nd half the balls would be brought up to regs, because the Colts already had informed the powers that be.

Tom Brady in the first half: 11-for-21, 52 percent completions, 95 yards, one touchdown, one interception, 60.6 passer rating

Tom Brady in the second half: 12-for-14, 86 percent completions, 155 yards, two touchdowns, zero interceptions, 157.3 passer rating

Patriots in the first half: Outscored the Colts 17-7

Patriots in the second half: Outscored the Colts 28-0

EDIT: according to Mortenson who wrote the initial article, the 11 of 12 balls were from the 1st half, and the 2nd half balls tested OK. So, what advantage? TO my point, Brady's disadvantage. WAY more to this story.

Last edited by metalmancpa; 01-21-2015 at 03:58 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 03:41 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,187,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
The Patriots aren't whining at all, just some overly homer fans. . .
And that's exactly who I was responding to. Though it's not entirely accurate to say "The Patriots aren't whining at all." Tell that to Tom "Now I've Heard Everything" Brady. If you're caught, take your licks instead of lashing out of the people who caught you.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:28 PM

74 posts, read 56,089 times
Hi I'm Rob Lowe and I am a Seahawks Fan.

And I'm a painfully awkward cheating Patriots fan Rob Lowe....and I have cable

Old 01-21-2015, 04:37 PM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 28 days ago)

58,180 posts, read 40,973,781 times
I thought I was hallucinating after the game when I saw Belichick crack a smile, now I think maybe he just saw the humor in soft balls.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:58 PM

6,401 posts, read 4,174,894 times
Quote:
The Patriots aren't whining at all, just some overly homer fans. I am a huge Pats fan, and as you said, part of my unhappiness is now twice having them get caught at something stupid, whether or not it truly affected the outcome of the games.

The Pats DO have a target on them. Before and after Spy Gate they've played at a high level. As I previously stated, all teams/individuals in sports who are at the top are targeted, and it makes sense - knock down the best. The Pats (and probably Belichick the most) are too smart for their own good. I think they do know the rule book better then any other team. The problem is they think they are so smart they find the wrinkle and test it.

On the stupid side, their two "Gate" incidents. On the brilliant side, something like the line-up they did against the Ravens.
Which only gives us more insight into the lengths that Belichick will go to to win.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:00 PM

6,401 posts, read 4,174,894 times
Quote:
You're missing my point. If in one game over a 14 year span Brady played with a ball measurable under-inflated as compared to the rest of his career, how would that possibly help him? I've gone bowling and used balls I purchased that weigh "x". I've gone out and played with house balls which weigh different, and it throws off my game. Why? Because I perfected my game with balls that weighed "x", and it affected my release, spin, and trajectory with the different weight. In one game having a different grip would not make a QB throw more accurate. The only advantage I see is better grip on a wet ball and less chance of slippage. And maybe just maybe Brady only threw for 226 because those under inflated balls threw off his game.
That is an assumption that he was not using underinflated balls prior to the AFC title game. I am sure Lance Armstrong only doped up for the last TdF. Sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or