U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 07:04 AM

768 posts, read 418,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but each team uses their own footballs during every game, right? In that case, how is properly inflating the Patriots' footballs magically going to make the Colts score more than seven points?
If this is found to have been done intentionally then New England cheated. The Only punishment which would seem to fit would be to have Indianapolis declared the winner and have them play in the Super Bowl.

If or how much the cheating helped New England is irrelevant.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:05 AM

10,543 posts, read 12,009,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think it's more like "We know the NFL is run by a bunch of chickens**ts"
I agree, that makes more sense.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:06 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,172,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
The more I listen to this story unfold, the one thing that is truly evident to me is how over-blown this story is, fueled especially by the fans. And those who say the Patriots are targeted is true, albeit something they have brought on themselves for bending so much.

Of course there should be fines and penalties as dictated by league rules. But those who actually believe this or anything the Patriots have done have made the difference between them being themselves or a Jacksonville or Oakland is ridiculous.

The organization is too smart which makes them stupid, especially with this ball issue in a game that would have turned out similar. Aaron Rodgers himself admits to over inflating his balls. So that in itself tells me most QB's tweak the balls, and in this case, if Jay Glazer is correct the Ravens tipped off the Colts due to their suspicions.

At the end of the day, it will be interesting to me to see how Belichick responds with something other then On To Seattle when asked. More importantly, this issue rests squarely in the hands of Tom Brady IMHO. Everything I've read said only the QB would know about this (at a minimum) because no coach or any other employee messes with the ball for the most important player on the team, the QB.
Yes Brady is most culpable, but who is ultimately responsible for all that his players do?

Old 01-22-2015, 07:09 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,856,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
If this is found to have been done intentionally then New England cheated. The Only punishment which would seem to fit would be to have Indianapolis declared the winner and have them play in the Super Bowl.

Nobody cares about the outcome of that game. The one in question is the Ravens vs Patriots. You could argue it should have been Colts hosting the Ravens in the AFC Championship game maybe. But that is just way too much speculation to go on and declare the Colts the champions.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:13 AM

8,340 posts, read 14,095,346 times
The Patriots are playing in the Super Bowl. That isn't changing.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:14 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,172,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

I hope all this shyt keeps going up to the superbowl

I also hope this sets a huge fire under the patriots ... and they come out on fire!!

I want to see Saturday night live to a parody of the patriots winning the superbowl, and not only be handed the Lombardi trophy but brady gets handed the "game ball" and its deflated, and flat as a pancake !!
If the Patriots win, then this Superbowl will forever be known as the cheater bowl or some such name. The only good outcome for the sake of the NFL is for the Seahawks to win.

For that matter, until Belichick and Brady are gone from the NFL any game they win will be suspect.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:17 AM

6,443 posts, read 3,451,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post

Stop hating for a moment. Look, the Patriots broke the rules with Spy Gate, and based on what the NFL reports with Deflate Gate too. But if you listen to those who play and coach the game, in both cases without regards to the rule books, using the word "cheat" is harsh when compared to a pure competitive edge on the field of play. They should be fined and penalized based upon the rule book, but cheating to me implies they won because of it (or lost like the Black Sox). I highly doubt anything anyone does to gain an edge (other than PED's we may not know about), the outcome of the games are probably not affected.

What Lance Armstrong did gave him that pure advantage, and really cheated against his opponents. In football, all players say all sorts of edges are tried, and most don't truly affect the outcome of any game. 2 lbs of PSI in a football weighs as much as a dollar bill, and the grip difference is slight.

Deflate Gate is a big deal not for the hater reasons of winning and losing. It's about integrity and morals. As a Pats fan, that's what bothers me. Brady's and Belichick's legacy will forever be tarnished. The issue is the stupidity of the minuscule acts of Spy Gate and Deflate Gate and actually doing them against the rules. The organization and Belichick is too smart for their own good. The lengths they take for greatness, that last little piece, is stupid because in fact they probably would have the same record and legacy without the stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Yes Brady is most culpable, but who is ultimately responsible for all that his players do?
I have read that in the case of footballs it is very possible Brady told the ball boy and Belichick knows nothing. But yes Belichick, and to a point Kraft, are culpable.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:50 AM

1,069 posts, read 555,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
If the Patriots win, then this Superbowl will forever be known as the cheater bowl or some such name. The only good outcome for the sake of the NFL is for the Seahawks to win.

For that matter, until Belichick and Brady are gone from the NFL any game they win will be suspect.
Serious tho, even if there wasn't a "Deflatgate" and the Pats should win the SB in 10 days, there are some who would stll stick to the mindset of Belicheck is a cheater

Old 01-22-2015, 07:57 AM

16,522 posts, read 20,966,979 times
There's been 197 responses in 3 days here. I believe people have had ample time to weigh in.

There is another thread on this same subject that I am making a *sticky* One thread per subject.

Thread closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or