U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 06:57 PM

32,438 posts, read 26,300,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'm in favor because of I enjoy seeing people get wigged out about stuff that doesn't matter, whatever games they play all show up in the same place anyways...my TV.
well said. in the end it really doesnt matter where the games are being played, as long as i can watch them on my tv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 03:25 PM

18,637 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
So is it a problem to have NYG-NYJ games and have the Jets miss a home game? Or the Cowboys miss a home game when more Niners fans show up in Dallas?
Or the Niners miss a home game when more Cowboy fans show up in San Francisco?

Old 01-24-2015, 04:14 PM

77 posts, read 46,451 times
I'm a yank and live in England. I have to admit when I watch the London NFL games they feel more like pre-season exhibition games. They don't feel "real", and yet they bloody well are!

The NFL is trying to sell American football to the UK which already has soccer & and 2 or 3 forms of rugby. Those games are relatively faster than American football. The Brits hate the stop & start action---it's worse than one of the forms of rugby which has lots of stopping & starting involving something silly-looking called "scrums". And they hate all the goddamn commercial breaks, too.

I don't see it catching on over here. Soccer & rugby, like baseball & football, are no longer cheap sports to attend. The soccer & rugby teams struggle as it is because their ticket prices are so high & off-putting and their expenditure on talent is extremely expensive.

American football is too damn slow and expensive for the UK. It tries to make its money through television advertising and has ample opportunities during the many pauses in action during the game. The Americans absolutely loathe all those friggin' commercials and the Brits even more so because they haven't been subjected to it during their televised sporting events. They are subjected to some but usually only during half time.

Still, having said all that, I am glad to see the London NFL games on me telly! I don't have satellite or cable and so I can't watch any of the American-based NFL games. I don't find them too slow. I like them. I live to see excellent passing, blocking, and running.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:35 PM

6,443 posts, read 3,451,927 times
I think this is an example of Goodell's ego getting the better of him. Yes the NFL is huge. But it is the USA's sport. I don't think it's fair for players to travel across seas just so Goodell can get his exposure and try to make this a world sport. Instead, if he is that hell bent on going overseas, start another league and pull players from Europe.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:40 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,324,963 times
One of the reasons the NFL failed in Europe is because it was third class compared to the NFL in the USA. Europeans will pay good money to see 'premier league' NFL and London and the South East of England is a market of 25 million people and can easily support a top rate franchise.

Whether it is culturally desirable is a different issue.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:57 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,863,598 times
Goodell encourages teams to play there if they want a Super Bowl.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:02 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,863,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsippius View Post
I'm a yank and live in England. I have to admit when I watch the London NFL games they feel more like pre-season exhibition games. They don't feel "real", and yet they bloody well are!

The NFL is trying to sell American football to the UK which already has soccer & and 2 or 3 forms of rugby. Those games are relatively faster than American football. The Brits hate the stop & start action---it's worse than one of the forms of rugby which has lots of stopping & starting involving something silly-looking called "scrums". And they hate all the goddamn commercial breaks, too.

I don't see it catching on over here. Soccer & rugby, like baseball & football, are no longer cheap sports to attend. The soccer & rugby teams struggle as it is because their ticket prices are so high & off-putting and their expenditure on talent is extremely expensive.

American football is too damn slow and expensive for the UK. It tries to make its money through television advertising and has ample opportunities during the many pauses in action during the game. The Americans absolutely loathe all those friggin' commercials and the Brits even more so because they haven't been subjected to it during their televised sporting events. They are subjected to some but usually only during half time.

Still, having said all that, I am glad to see the London NFL games on me telly! I don't have satellite or cable and so I can't watch any of the American-based NFL games. I don't find them too slow. I like them. I live to see excellent passing, blocking, and running.
Huge point the NFL really needs to start considering. Too many stoppages of time.

Never thought of it that way but pace of the game is a big issue. The rest of the world favors the football that is continuously moving, a 'flow' sport. Running a play for 30 seconds then taking a minute to plan another one must be a buzzkill.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:04 AM

77 posts, read 46,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Huge point the NFL really needs to start considering. Too many stoppages of time.

Never thought of it that way but pace of the game is a big issue. The rest of the world favors the football that is continuously moving, a 'flow' sport. Running a play for 30 seconds then taking a minute to plan another one must be a buzzkill.
Exactly---buzzkill---going off the boil...coitus interruptus...

But I grew up with Sunday NFL games and really don't mind the pace...it's just those obnoxious commercials. I'd rather watch Replays and hear the talking heads blabber than watch those damn ads.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:45 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,541,988 times
I'm digging up this thread as I read something interesting on the Packers website! They would like to play in London but, of course, don't want to give up a Lambeau game.

Now they play the Jaguars in 2016 but their owner doesn't want to do it because a Packer game is a big draw for their stadium. Mark Murphy has contacted the Jaguars but even though it has been rumored in news outlets, definitely not a done deal yet.

Jaguars are due to play in London 2016 but the opponent, who knows!

Old 07-27-2015, 10:30 PM

1,743 posts, read 958,771 times
The NFL will never add teams overseas so they need to stop with the regular season games in London. Or anywhere outside the United States for that matter. It's a shame several teams must have to give up a home game for a neutral site game with no point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or