U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 01:23 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,109,150 times

Advertisements

I've always hated the idea of games in other countries. Even exhibition games would be bad due to all of the extra players on the team (undrafted rookie free agents, etc.). Coaches have such a short amount of time during training camp and pre-season to get the players up to speed, keeping everything in order with logistics, making decisions on depth charts, who to cut, bring in, etc., etc., etc. And during the regular season it doesn't make any sense. Very unfair to take a home game away from a fanbase that supports the league by over paying for virtually everything league related.

Goodell is more concerned with his legacy and being remembered as a visionary than doing right by the fans. The only place I'd be ok with them moving a team to is Canada, as long as it wasn't too far north. Toronto or Vancouver, for instance. We have some of their hockey teams, so why not, eh? Just don't touch my Browns again. Grrrr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 08:11 AM

2,123 posts, read 4,317,272 times
Good article from the Cowboy's official site, with some interesting claims:

Nine Months Later, Cowboys Game In London Still Has Global Impact | Dallas Cowboys

Susancruz, Jacksonville went in 2014, why would they want to go again in 2016?

The timing is too disruptive with the change in time zones IMO. Dallas did have a bye after the trip to London this past November which was helpful but seemed discombobulated for several weeks after including taking a thumping (their only real beat-down)) from Philly on Thanksgiving Day.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:32 AM

2,748 posts, read 2,369,445 times
- More NFL expansion.
- Mexico City is getting a game, & other areas (Brazil, Germany) are being explored. More games in London were booked through 2020 with an option to extend 5 years beyond that.
- I'm not an economics major, but I say focus more on improving the game here.

NFL Signs Deal To Play Even More Games In London
Quote:
It doesn’t seem like the NFL’s international expansion is done, either. It’s expected that a 2016 game will take place in Mexico City as well, while Spanish sports newspaper AS reported that starting in 2017 or 2018, the NFL will stage one game per season in Mexico City. Roger Goodell has also said the NFL is exploring Germany—which was by far the strongest NFL Europe market—and Brazil, which might host the Pro Bowl in 2017.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:46 AM

6,536 posts, read 4,489,472 times
So I heard on PTI yesterday that the NFL wants to play up to 5 games in London by 2018 . Can we get rid of this complete buffoon of a commissioner before he puts 17 games a year in London & a team in London??

Old 11-04-2015, 07:01 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 27 days ago)

58,174 posts, read 40,973,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gringo View Post
Anyone else completely despise this?

I'm fine with preseason, but multiple regular season games is a slap in the face of all the fans of the "home team" who lose one of only eight regular season games a year!

What would happen if the English Premier League started playing a few matches in the USA during their regular season?

There would be an absolute UPROAR, and rightfully so. It's THEIR league, not ours.

And to think they are actually considering putting a franchise there...makes my head explode. NFL Europe failed for a reason.

The NFL is OUR league. If British fans of the NFL want to see live games, let them buy tickets and fly over here. I know many of them already do.

You'd think getting a team back in L.A. would be a bigger priority than creating a new one in fooking LONDON!

Goodell is a total idiot.

Go Pats
"OUR league"?

You're kidding, right?

The NFL will go wherever the $$$ are, period!

Old 11-04-2015, 07:24 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times
I really don't see what the big deal is, the NFL master plan anyways is to have world domination with games played before studio audiences and all games pay per view.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:31 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,122,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
So I heard on PTI yesterday that the NFL wants to play up to 5 games in London by 2018 . Can we get rid of this complete buffoon of a commissioner before he puts 17 games a year in London & a team in London??
This global mindset seems to have infected the NFL. Britain could care less about its former colonies and "American football". It seems that they mostly complain about America's people, politics and policies as it is. The NFL should focus on America and building up places like Los Angeles.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:17 AM

3,722 posts, read 3,878,758 times
Personally, I am not a fan of these games in London for a few reasons.

1. A team has to give up a home game and that means fans get one less game to go and see their team play
2. It means a team loses the advantage of playing at home, especially if the game played over there is a division game
3. It gives the away team the benefit of having to play 1 less true road game

The NFL will never take off in England to the level they'll want. English fans who like rugby and soccer will not like all of the commercial breaks.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:47 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,489,472 times
The NFL has already tried expanding in Europe. It was called the WLAF, & NFL Europe among other things. Google it! It failed miserably. The reason it failed so bad: Nobody in Europe gives a flying ^%$% (4 letter word begins with an F that rhymes with puck) about American Football. Never have, never will. It's all soccer & Rugby over there, the NFL in Europe will be what the NHL in America has become: a sport that gets about 5 minutes of highlights on the sports shows, and a box in the sports section of the paper. At least people in LA WILL. ACTUALLY. CARE. about having a professional football team they can call there own. People in London will not give a hoot!

Old 11-05-2015, 04:52 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
"OUR league"?

You're kidding, right?

The NFL will go wherever the $$$ are, period!
apparently the NFL money train keeps chugging along despite a series of off field domestic assaults, a cheating scandal, on-field buffoonery and the intensifying spot-light of health risks to playing the game...none of which has slowed the growth and profits of the league.

NFL revenue: Here comes another record season - Sep. 10, 2015
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or