Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 08:41 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,289,000 times

Advertisements

IMO, if you take away the pressure the balls could lose from the change of temperature, that 1.0 psi really isn't a huge change. I'm also wondering why the refs who handle the ball each down, didn't feel a difference. They handle the ball more than a quarterback does, if they were so tampered with, they would have noticed....they are the rule enforcers on the field...I'm not a Patriots fan, but I used to play football, and 1.0 psi isn't much... The pressure gauge available to check balls, are not scientifically calibrated either, so there could be discretion there. I look at it this way, when a team blows out the other, with regulation footballs by the score of 27-0, there are no what ifs.....sad to take focus away from the Super Bowl...remember everything is speculation, and when it comes to allegations, they are innocent until proven guilty.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:42 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
If the NFL can come out and say that having the balls at 10.5 will not let anyone gain any advantage over someone having the balls at 13.5, then fine. Let them open the specs to that level. If they cannot say that, then they definitely need to come up with better methods to make sure no one falls out of spec. And I hope that includes checking on the sidelines during the game.

Personally, I would like to see the NFL bring out the balls at the beginning or during the game without the team having access. Let everyone play with the same equipment. That is what I and probably most other people in the country thought was happening in the first place. Back to the basics, I say. If you can't pass, run. Get players with larger hands if you have to.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:48 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
If the NFL can come out and say that having the balls at 10.5 will not let anyone gain any advantage over someone having the balls at 13.5, then fine. Let them open the specs to that level. If they cannot say that, then they definitely need to come up with better methods to make sure no one falls out of spec. And I hope that includes checking on the sidelines during the game.

Personally, I would like to see the NFL bring out the balls at the beginning or during the game without the team having access. Let everyone play with the same equipment. That is what I and probably most other people in the country thought was happening in the first place. Back to the basics, I say. If you can't pass, run. Get players with larger hands if you have to.
This makes the most logical sense, but do you honestly believe Goodell is smart enough to make such a change, even after this "scandal" before the biggest game of the year for the NFL? The balls should be in control by the NFL/official from start to finish. Of course many will say it's part of the history in the NFL to let QB's get the balls exactly how they like them.

At this point, I think Vince McMahon could do equally as good of a job as Goodell.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:55 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
I think it was around 2006 when Brady and Manning (the darlings of the NFL) lobbied to have access to the footballs so they could get the balls that they liked.

I agree that most people have no idea that all this manipulation of the footballs was going on.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:59 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
This makes the most logical sense, but do you honestly believe Goodell is smart enough to make such a change, even after this "scandal" before the biggest game of the year for the NFL? The balls should be in control by the NFL/official from start to finish. Of course many will say it's part of the history in the NFL to let QB's get the balls exactly how they like them.

At this point, I think Vince McMahon could do equally as good of a job as Goodell.
What other team sport lets teams play with different or modified equipment like they have been doing with the footballs, allowing them to be modified to suit the quarterback? I am talking about equipment that more than one person an any team would use. Roughing them up also helps the running backs hold onto them better. Let the center be responsible for looking at the ball and then ask the refs to change it if he finds something wrong with it. Before the game the QBs and maybe the staff of both teams should inspect the supply of balls and have any ball that looks funny removed from the field. That should be the only contact before the game starts.

Not like bats or gloves in baseball. Golf is individual all the way, except special cases like best ball or alternate shot. Even then every golfer uses his own clubs, which is the way it has always been and will never change.

By the way, I went to the official NFL site and downloaded their official rules. The only had the rules for the 2013 season! How stupid can the NFL be?

Old 01-26-2015, 09:13 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Hats off to Belichick and Brady on their presser tonight. It seems fair that, at some point, the world "let it go" and let the Patriots prepare... mentally as well as physically, for the Seahawks.

As daunting as this grind must be, they seem to have the ice in their veins to let it go.

Current line, Pats by one.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:21 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
What other team sport lets teams play with different or modified equipment like they have been doing with the footballs, allowing them to be modified to suit the quarterback? I am talking about equipment that more than one person an any team would use. Roughing them up also helps the running backs hold onto them better. Let the center be responsible for looking at the ball and then ask the refs to change it if he finds something wrong with it. Before the game the QBs and maybe the staff of both teams should inspect the supply of balls and have any ball that looks funny removed from the field. That should be the only contact before the game starts.

Not like bats or gloves in baseball. Golf is individual all the way, except special cases like best ball or alternate shot. Even then every golfer uses his own clubs, which is the way it has always been and will never change.

By the way, I went to the official NFL site and downloaded their official rules. The only had the rules for the 2013 season! How stupid can the NFL be?
It would be like LeBron James coming out with his personal basketballs. Maybe they should have let George Brett alone with his pine tar. As this story continues to unfold, cheating aside, the emphasis is also shifting to the overall culture in the NFL. So to answer your question - I think the NFL is looking more idiotic every day, and has allowed this to happen.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:22 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
The teams practice with the balls for about two weeks and then the ones the QBs like best are used for the games. At least that is what some of the QBs were saying.
Why doesn't the NFL provide the balls and inflate them? Too cheap?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:01 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigueur2014 View Post
IMO, if you take away the pressure the balls could lose from the change of temperature, that 1.0 psi really isn't a huge change. I'm also wondering why the refs who handle the ball each down, didn't feel a difference. They handle the ball more than a quarterback does, if they were so tampered with, they would have noticed....they are the rule enforcers on the field...I'm not a Patriots fan, but I used to play football, and 1.0 psi isn't much... The pressure gauge available to check balls, are not scientifically calibrated either, so there could be discretion there. I look at it this way, when a team blows out the other, with regulation footballs by the score of 27-0, there are no what ifs.....sad to take focus away from the Super Bowl...remember everything is speculation, and when it comes to allegations, they are innocent until proven guilty.
One one hand, you say the refs should have noticed, and then you say 1.0 psi isn't that much.

Tim Hasselbeck said last week that probably the only person on the field who would notice would be the quarterback.

Remember, the Colts/Patriots game was played in heavy rain and the officials were catching and covering the balls with a towel. They also weren't expecting to check for something like deflated footballs.

Say what you want about pressure gauges that aren't "scientifically calibrated," but the fact remains that 11 of the 12 Patriots footballs were underinflated and none of the Colts footballs were.

Now we have this from NBC Sports:

Quote:
On Monday, Jay Glazer of FOX Sports added the next new big piece of news in #DeflateGate, reporting that the NFL has interviewed a locker room attendant who allegedly took footballs from the officials’ locker room after they had been inspected and approved “to another area on way to field” before the start of the game.

PFT can now contribute additional details to that story.

First, per a league source, the other “area on way to field” is a bathroom. The bathroom consists of one toilet and one sink and a door that locks from the inside.

Second, according to the same source, the person carried two bags of balls into the bathroom: the 12 balls to be used by the Patriots and the 12 balls to be used by the Colts.

Third, from the same source, the evidence comes from a surveillance video that was discovered by the Patriots and given to the NFL early in the investigation.

Fourth, again from the same source, the video shows the employee in the bathroom for approximately 90 seconds.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:04 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
"Fourth, again from the same source, the video shows the employee in the bathroom for approximately 90 seconds"

He would need to be really good to deflate 11 balls in 90 seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football