U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 06:28 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,468,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
So you are saying they tricked people into thinking one of the two balls was under inflated and it wasn't, and only one of five people still thought one was? Is there something in the water in New England that everyone is into trickery?

Even if it was above board and the other ball was deflated, the fact that the test was done in a Pats store in Foxborough negates any credibility. Based on the Pats Fans loyalty seen even here on CD, the people in the test had an incentive to make the test fail. Somebody should do the test in a neutral location.
As this media blown up scandal unfolds (like any supposed cheating scandal), I find so many contradictions in the stories.

So the original story states Jackson who made the interception thought the ball was soft and gave the ball to the equipment manager and started this issue.

Jackson was interviewed yesterday. He, the one who supposedly called this out, said he kept the ball because it was his 1st interception and that he noticed nothing different about the ball, nor would he notice a 2 PSI difference (to which many experts agree), and that he started nothing and never gave the ball to anyone saying it was soft. That's from the source.

So where is this story coming from and what is the truth? The fans and the media are fueling and over blowing this frenzy, which is almost a psychological issue of sports fans and media. Again, I continue to say this stinks, and continue to say that outsider fans are piling on with the media with no true facts to this story. People suck.

Last edited by metalmancpa; 01-23-2015 at 07:07 AM..

Old 01-23-2015, 06:50 AM

5,631 posts, read 4,230,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
As this media blown up scandal unfolds (like any supposed cheating scandal), I find so many contradictions in the stories.

So the original story states Jackson who made the interception thought the ball was soft and gave the ball to the equipment manager and started this issue.

Jackson was interviewed yesterday. He, the one who supposedly called this out, said he kept the ball because it was his 1st interception and that he noticed nothing different about the ball, nor would he notice a 2 PSI difference (to which many experts agree), and that he started nothing and never gave the ball to saying it was soft. That's from the source.

So where is this story coming from and what is the truth? The fans and the media are fueling and over blowing this frenzy, which is almost a psychological issue of sports fans and media. Again, I continue to say this stinks, and continue to say that outsider fans are piling on with the media with no true facts to this story. People suck.
That definitely contradicts the origin of the story...
Do you think there was a plot to start a story about the balls all the while someone on the Pats side, let air out of the ball unbeknownst to them just to cast a shadow over the Pats?

I tend the believe that the simplest answer is typically the correct answer. I think its plausible that the 12 balls that were presented to the NFL refs were under inflated to begin with and the refs simply did not thoroughly check them therefore allowing them to get into the game. I think its plausible to believe that Tom Brady typically has the balls inflated to the pressure he likes best before they are given to the NFL refs and they either inflate them to specs or maybe sometimes in haste, they don't... I could believe this which would put the onus on the refs who seem to be getting a pass in all of this..

Old 01-23-2015, 07:19 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
NFL needs to improve its oversight of how/where/who/whats of football management before the game. Obviously the teams have found a loophole and now the NFL will have someone safeguard the balls. What a fiasco. More important things in the world/country - but how this has taken the lead story on many of the top news organizations is really embarrassing for our country.
I would agree with this.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:20 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,559,598 times
Default Patriots forfeit; Colts replace them in SB

I frankly find it hard to believe that Belichick and Brady were clueless here. They are far too experienced, used to operating at a high level. This team is run and plays with a level of precision that has yielded great success. It is more likely than not that Tom Brady knew these ball were deflated, and so did Belichick. You just don't get to this level and not know this sort of stuff, and the league needs to come down very hard on the Patriots.

I think the league should force the Patriots to forfeit, giving the Colts the SB nod. The SB should be rescheduled accordingly. Seahawks vs Colts.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:30 AM

22,895 posts, read 19,336,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
So you are saying they tricked people into thinking one of the two balls was under inflated and it wasn't, and only one of five people still thought one was? Is there something in the water in New England that everyone is into trickery?

Even if it was above board and the other ball was deflated, the fact that the test was done in a Pats store in Foxborough negates any credibility. Based on the Pats Fans loyalty seen even here on CD, the people in the test had an incentive to make the test fail. Somebody should do the test in a neutral location.
No, the guy thought the regular football was the underinflated one. What's with the accusations of everything NE is corrupt? You people need to get a grip.

Now, the reason I came here again...yesterday I kept saying "a Raven said...". It was NOT a Raven, it was a Hawk player. Birds, got them confused.

Carry on with your insatiable Pats hatred.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I frankly find it hard to believe that Belichick and Brady were clueless here. They are far too experienced, used to operating at a high level. This team is run and plays with a level of precision that has yielded great success. It is more likely than not that Tom Brady knew these ball were deflated, and so did Belichick. You just don't get to this level and not know this sort of stuff, and the league needs to come down very hard on the Patriots.

I think the league should force the Patriots to forfeit, giving the Colts the SB nod. The SB should be rescheduled accordingly. Seahawks vs Colts.
That is nuts! Like Belichick said, in 40 years of coaching, he has never spoken to anyone about psi.

Pats haters are just grasping for straws.

So if the Colt's player is denying the story, who did it? Sounds like a set-up to me. Not being a fan here, just using my head. How would any of you like it if it was YOUR team going through this? Don't give me "it wouldn't happen" either.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:52 AM

32,503 posts, read 26,398,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Creative Adjustment!! I love it!! That's what Brady should have thought of instead of "duh...I duuno"...maybe, the fellas got caught up in some Washington weed?

The two looked like they were up all night, trying to make up a good Creative Adjustment to their hand caught in the big fat cookie jar.....just like some political folks......they think we are stupid....."duh, dunno what happened". Proves what I have thought all along. CHEATERS are also known to be LIARS!! Enough hot air in that press room to inflate all the footballs in the NFL. (since there seems to be a shortage of good old air!)

Correct me if I am wrong; don't know a lot about the game; but it seems like the FOOTBALL is a main component; how long has this been going on? Looks like the footballs need to be guarded; all is fair in love, war and sports?

The NFL needs two rule books: One, the REAL RULES and the "other", the CREATIVE ADJUSTMENT to the REAL RULES!
wow talk about being all over the board. first off, did someone check the balls for proper inflation? did each ball meet the NFL specs? is it possible that the balls were inflated in a warm setting, and when taken out into the cold the air naturally contracted and as such the pressure dropped? was the inflation valve on the balls in question, if there are any, faulty and let a bit too much pressure escape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post

oh please. just because the colts got their butts handed to them, doesnt mean that the balls were somehow the problem here. belichick would have made a great crew chief for a race team because he actually reads the rule book and figures ways to use the rules to his advantage. lets take the balls for instance, if the rule reads that all the balls have to be inflated to a certain pressure, lets say 12psi, and some balls are at 11psi, then a rule was broken. but what should the punishment be for such a rule violation? would it really have an effect on the game? however if the rule reads the ball needs to be inflated to 12psi + or - 1.5psi, then the balls can be between 10.5psi and 13.5psi and still be legal.

as i noted in another thread, the raiders used to have a punter by the name of ray guy. the man made some seriously long punts, with some serious hang time. it saved the raiders butts many times, to the point where the raiders were accused of filling the balls with helium to make them fly further, which was rubbish. i believe the myth busters busted that myth a couple of years ago.

i would have preferred that the colts beat the patriots, but they didnt. they got outplayed at every turn of the game, and as a result they got a beat down. so unless you can find some real evidence that the patriots cheated badly enough to warrant forfeiture of the game, and it had better be something very very serious, get over it. the colts got beat badly.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:02 AM

32,503 posts, read 26,398,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
That is nuts! Like Belichick said, in 40 years of coaching, he has never spoken to anyone about psi.

Pats haters are just grasping for straws.

So if the Colt's player is denying the story, who did it? Sounds like a set-up to me. Not being a fan here, just using my head. How would any of you like it if it was YOUR team going through this? Don't give me "it wouldn't happen" either.
part of the problem here is that some "fans" have never really played the game, and dont understand the intricacies of the game. they als become rabid about their team, and if anything doesnt go to plan, they scream that the other team cheated somehow, and then start to look for things that might have been done to make their team lose.

and before anyone accuses me of being a fan of the pats, forget it, i am a cowboys fan(have been since 1972 in fact) and before that i was a colts fan(they were still in baltimore at the time). i wanted to see luck beat brady, but the colts got outplayed at every turn of the game, and even if the balls were deflated for brady but not for luck, i am sorry but a 45-7 loss is far larger than any deflation of the balls could ever account for.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:08 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,468,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
part of the problem here is that some "fans" have never really played the game, and dont understand the intricacies of the game. they als become rabid about their team, and if anything doesnt go to plan, they scream that the other team cheated somehow, and then start to look for things that might have been done to make their team lose.

and before anyone accuses me of being a fan of the pats, forget it, i am a cowboys fan(have been since 1972 in fact) and before that i was a colts fan(they were still in baltimore at the time). i wanted to see luck beat brady, but the colts got outplayed at every turn of the game, and even if the balls were deflated for brady but not for luck, i am sorry but a 45-7 loss is far larger than any deflation of the balls could ever account for.
So true, the psychology of a fan.

Sports is the one form of entertainment that people just get so involved with. Planning for game watching parties; purchasing team stuff like flags and banners. So when their team (as if they have any ownership or true vested interest) or player is accused of cheating, the rabid fan jumps in and defends as if it's his/her own child.

In my discussions if the Pats thread, all I am saying that this rabidness has created stories and accusations before ANY investigative report has come out. It's guilty until proven innocent. I'll be hugely disappointed if either Brady or Belichick were lying at their pressers. But I don't need to assume they were at this point because I have no evidence that they were lying other than the hearsay of the media and haters.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football