U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 05:04 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 29 days ago)

58,182 posts, read 40,987,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
A tv station did just that today at the Official Pat's store in Foxboro today. That bought two Official footballs, took 2psi out of one and asked people leaving the store to handle both balls and tell the reporter if they could tell the difference. Out of the 5 people they showed, only one said he felt a difference...the ball was underinflated and guess what?? It wasn't!! Goes to show, mind over matter.

Just as an average weekend golfer could not likely tell the difference in 'feel' of different balls that a PGA Pro would sense immediately, someone who doesn't handle a football hundreds of times in weekly practices would not likely feel small difference a pro would be sure to sense.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:06 AM

6,410 posts, read 4,177,915 times
But if one of those weekend golfers happened to work for a golf ball manufacturer, would you trust his opinion at all?

Old 01-24-2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
It's sad that the NFL is more hell bent on investigating Deflate-gate than they were when Ray Rice knocked the crap out of his wife.
Which of the two has more effect on the integrity of the game? Which one is just bad PR for the NFL?

Old 01-24-2015, 07:37 AM

2,532 posts, read 4,957,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I am starting to think that Brady never thought it would be that big of an issue to deflate the balls and he is surprised that it is that big of an issue.
Think of the moment when you first heard of this. Indy loses 45 - 7 and then they come up with the issue of football under-inflation? Really? As if the air pressure in the footballs had any effect on the game....

Old 01-24-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Think of the moment when you first heard of this. Indy loses 45 - 7 and then they come up with the issue of football under-inflation? Really? As if the air pressure in the footballs had any effect on the game....
I agree, it probably had little effect on THAT game. What about the previous game where they won by only 4 points? Do you really believe the AFC Championship game was the first and only time? What about during the regular season when they were building their W/L record to get into the playoffs in the first place? How many close games were there?

Being a fan of my local NFL team the first thing I thought about was the close score in the Ravens game and how they (NE) pushed the limits of the rules(eligible vs ineligible payers and the quick snap before the defense could respond) in that game. NE thinks they can get away with murder. (pun intended, re; Hernandez)

Old 01-24-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
But if one of those weekend golfers happened to work for a golf ball manufacturer, would you trust his opinion at all?
I never said anything about trusting a weekend golfer's opinion, only that I didn't think a typical weekend golfer could tell one ball from another by feel, just like I don't believe a Pro QB handling the ball hundreds of times a week wouldn't notice a difference.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Are penalties NOT called because they didn't affect the particular play the infraction occurred on?

Old 01-24-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I never said anything about trusting a weekend golfer's opinion, only that I didn't think a typical weekend golfer could tell one ball from another by feel, just like I don't believe a Pro QB handling the ball hundreds of times a week wouldn't notice a difference.
I was referring to the fact that the test was performed at a Pats merchandise store and that patrons involved in the test could never be considered unbiased enough to make it a reliable test.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:33 AM

What I find comical is the fans for the Pats, immediately labeling people who post negative comments about Deflate Gate as haters of the Pats. I didn't and believe I still don't hate the Pats. I recognize that most teams and individuals on teams will push the limit to gain an edge. I just hate the outcome when they step over the line. I was born and raised in the cradle of the NFL, Canton, OH. I used to ride my bicycle past the HOF while it was being built.

I have since lived in areas with NFL teams and at the time I adopted them as any fan would. The Broncos, the Browns, the Dolphins, and even the Pats for three years. I moved from Attleboro, MA to MD shortly after Irsay moved the Colts to Indy. I witnessed Tagliabue's actions to keep Baltimore from getting an expansion team, at Jack Kent Cooke's insistence. That was a low point in my life as a football fan. Now we have Goodell, who appears to be very Friendly with Kraft, and I fear my feelings toward the NFL may hit another low point.

So, if anyone believes that I am merely a Pats hater, they have another think coming!

Old 01-24-2015, 09:17 AM

6,450 posts, read 3,457,518 times
Quote:
What I find comical is the fans for the Pats, immediately labeling people who post negative comments about Deflate Gate as haters of the Pats. I didn't and believe I still don't hate the Pats. I recognize that most teams and individuals on teams will push the limit to gain an edge. I just hate the outcome when they step over the line. I was born and raised in the cradle of the NFL, Canton, OH. I used to ride my bicycle past the HOF while it was being built.

I have since lived in areas with NFL teams and at the time I adopted them as any fan would. The Broncos, the Browns, the Dolphins, and even the Pats for three years. I moved from Attleboro, MA to MD shortly after Irsay moved the Colts to Indy. I witnessed Tagliabue's actions to keep Baltimore from getting an expansion team, at Jack Kent Cooke's insistence. That was a low point in my life as a football fan. Now we have Goodell, who appears to be very Friendly with Kraft, and I fear my feelings toward the NFL may hit another low point.

So, if anyone believes that I am merely a Pats hater, they have another think coming!
I am speaking only for myself as a Pats fan.

The haters comment goes back to Spy Gate. And, listen to ESPN or any other sports network, and they too will say outside of New England the Patriots are hated. It's just a fact, no different than the Yankees hatred of the past. The intense homer fans in this case will jump to the defense of their team calling everyone haters. I've used that comment towards others too, but only those who I feel are blindly throwing accusations out without the facts.

If you today told me Brady and Belichick are liars, I'd call you a hater. The only reason I'd say that is we don't have the facts yet. If the report comes out and they were lying, then I would never call you a hater.

The court of public opinion was out on the Patriots since Spy Gate, and it's never gone away. I have heard enough garbage thrown against the Patriots. And truthfully, I partially believe it's due to their success. I've previously stated that in any sport, when you are on top you are targeted. The Patriots record has been the best in the NFL in the Brady/Belichick era - 14 years is a long time for other fans of their teams wishing it was their team in the Super Bowl. 9 AFC Championship games in 14 years is domination, so fans of Pittsburgh and the Ravens and other teams that are really good still always seem to be a step behind the Patriots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football