U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 10:26 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,435,209 times

Advertisements

People are failing to recognize the significance in this from a mental and personal advantageous standpoint. When you're an NFL QB having tossed around a football literally 10's of thousands of time, you develop small variables, that if nothing else can give you a mental edge. Brady, in his mind believes and probably actually does toss the ball better when it's 2 pounds under pressure. He has acquired this over years and years of throwing footballs. It gives him a clear and distinct advantage for how he throws the ball. He has commented on it himself. that is turn has likely given him some confidence boost within his game. My guess is, those balls have been deflated for years and years by Brady and his ball boy, etc. Brady does not have the biggest hands for an NFL QB, so having that ball slightly deflated works better for him, no doubt!

As an NFL fan, I do not view the SB as now being tarnished, but rather Brady himself. He will be a side note in my mind. A Jose Conseco of football. And you can trust, this will absolutely lead back to Brady himself. He did it to himself is all I can say.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:31 AM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,877,440 times
Initially, i gave Tom the benefit of the doubt, but not so anymore. All these great players don't believe Tom. I have to agree with them.

Deflate-gate: NFL Players Pile on New England Patriots Quarterback Tom Brady - ABC News

Richard Sherman, Seattle Seahawks cornerback
Mark Brunell, former Green Bay Packers quarterback
Jerome Bettis, former Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams and Pittsburgh Steelers halfback
Brian Dawkins, former Philadelphia Eagles and Denver Broncos safety
John Madden, former Oakland Raiders coach
Troy Aikman, former Dallas Cowboys quarterback
Hines Ward, former Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver

Old 01-24-2015, 10:38 AM

9,578 posts, read 4,589,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Initially, i gave Tom the benefit of the doubt, but not so anymore. All these great players don't believe Tom. I have to agree with them.

Deflate-gate: NFL Players Pile on New England Patriots Quarterback Tom Brady - ABC News

Jerome Bettis, former Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams and Pittsburgh Steelers halfback
Some old has-beens and one never-was(Brunell) just looking for some publicity. Hines Ward was one of the dirtiest to ever play the game.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:42 AM

6,443 posts, read 3,451,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
People are failing to recognize the significance in this from a mental and personal advantageous standpoint. When you're an NFL QB having tossed around a football literally 10's of thousands of time, you develop small variables, that if nothing else can give you a mental edge. Brady, in his mind believes and probably actually does toss the ball better when it's 2 pounds under pressure. He has acquired this over years and years of throwing footballs. It gives him a clear and distinct advantage for how he throws the ball. He has commented on it himself. that is turn has likely given him some confidence boost within his game. My guess is, those balls have been deflated for years and years by Brady and his ball boy, etc. Brady does not have the biggest hands for an NFL QB, so having that ball slightly deflated works better for him, no doubt!

As an NFL fan, I do not view the SB as now being tarnished, but rather Brady himself. He will be a side note in my mind. A Jose Conseco of football. And you can trust, this will absolutely lead back to Brady himself. He did it to himself is all I can say.
In the case of the Colts game that proves to be the total opposite, which is what makes this whole story even more crazy.

I agree that if this ultimately comes back to him, his legacy will be tarnished. And the sad fact it's unnecessary, because he's great regardless. The risk/reward of this if proven guilty is a decision he'll pay for the rest of his life.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:46 AM

6,443 posts, read 3,451,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Some old has-beens and one never-was(Brunell) just looking for some publicity. Hines Ward was one of the dirtiest to ever play the game.
In looking at the people who are currently pointing fingers without facts, and for that matter any NFL player, I think there might be other reasons they are jumping on the accusation bandwagon.

Let's assume for a moment every player and every team does something, anything, to gain a competitive edge. It takes all the pressure off them to put all of the attention on Tom Brady, one of the greats of the game. Who's to say Aikman or Bettis or Brunell (he's the laughable one because he sucked anyways) did their own things and never got caught.

The "it's part of the game" has been said for ages, these little edges. But now, with the business of the NFL being so large, there is much more at stake then just the playing field. Image and billions of dollars are on the line here.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:03 PM

1,069 posts, read 555,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post

Conseco isn't considered an alltime great, Brady is

Old 01-24-2015, 01:04 PM

32,438 posts, read 26,300,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I agree, it probably had little effect on THAT game. What about the previous game where they won by only 4 points? Do you really believe the AFC Championship game was the first and only time? What about during the regular season when they were building their W/L record to get into the playoffs in the first place? How many close games were there?
right because a slightly soft football is the only thing that determines the outcome of a game. remember that the teams still have to execute better than the other team does, soft ball or not. a soft ball still doesnt make a pass be thrown any truer, and while the receiver can catch a softer ball easier, the DB still has to make a play to prevent the ball from getting to the receiver in the first place.

Quote:
Being a fan of my local NFL team the first thing I thought about was the close score in the Ravens game and how they (NE) pushed the limits of the rules(eligible vs ineligible payers and the quick snap before the defense could respond) in that game. NE thinks they can get away with murder. (pun intended, re; Hernandez)
right because the officials never announced the ineligible player, oh wait they did. and the quick snap is not part of the game, oh wait it is part of the game. so apparently the ravens defensive players were not paying attention to the officials when they made the proper announcement, so the onus is on the ravens, not the patriots. what should the pats, or any team for that matter, do. give the defense their entire play book? tell them what play they are going to run and give the defense a few minutes to put the proper people on the field and then allow the defense to line up the way they want?

pushing the limits of the rules is what the best in ANY sport does if they want to win, and the losers are the ones that sit back and constantly cry about it.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:52 PM

22,851 posts, read 19,286,589 times
Quote:
I was referring to the fact that the test was performed at a Pats merchandise store and that patrons involved in the test could never be considered unbiased enough to make it a reliable test.
So NO ONE in the New England states can do a little experiment for their viewers? Give me a break. It was a tv station who did that piece, not some "official" entity.

Glad to know you are no longer here in Attleboro.

You are no fan. A fan is someone who sticks with their team no matter where they live. My daughter has been out of NE for decades now and she's still a Pats fan.

Quote:
If that is how you feel about it, then by all means come back to CD after the NFL is done with it. We will still be here.
No such luck for you.

Hines Ward was a decent dancer though!

Burrell? Never heard of him, that I can remember and I remember lots of great players as far back as the 60's when I started paying attention.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:57 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,172,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
right because a slightly soft football is the only thing that determines the outcome of a game. remember that the teams still have to execute better than the other team does, soft ball or not. a soft ball still doesnt make a pass be thrown any truer, and while the receiver can catch a softer ball easier, the DB still has to make a play to prevent the ball from getting to the receiver in the first place.
All things being equal you are correct. Except if both teams are equal, and one uses illegal equipment to gain an edge, and they win the game, is it a true victory?

Quote:
right because the officials never announced the ineligible player, oh wait they did. and the quick snap is not part of the game, oh wait it is part of the game. so apparently the ravens defensive players were not paying attention to the officials when they made the proper announcement, so the onus is on the ravens, not the patriots. what should the pats, or any team for that matter, do. give the defense their entire play book? tell them what play they are going to run and give the defense a few minutes to put the proper people on the field and then allow the defense to line up the way they want?

pushing the limits of the rules is what the best in ANY sport does if they want to win, and the losers are the ones that sit back and constantly cry about it.
Are you willing to bet that there won't be a rule change next season that allows defenses more time to respond when the offense declares a player ineligible or eligible, that would in some way prevent a quick snap after the announcement?

Old 01-24-2015, 02:02 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,172,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
So NO ONE in the New England states can do a little experiment for their viewers? Give me a break. It was a tv station who did that piece, not some "official" entity.

They can do it all they want but I don't have to accept their results under those circumstances.

Glad to know you are no longer here in Attleboro.

Me too!. Glad I am not a Pats fan anymore.

You are no fan. A fan is someone who sticks with their team no matter where they live. My daughter has been out of NE for decades now and she's still a Pats fan.
I am a football fan. You are not. You only care about your home team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football