Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 08:11 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,946,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Sounds like deflection when you start in on PEDs. As far as penalties go, I would be concerned in NE that the Saints got huge penalties for doing something that wasn't even against the rules. In this case, no one got hurt, but it puts the whole competition thing into doubt.

Keep digging up ex players that say the deflated balls wouldn't make any difference. You have a long way to go to overcome the number of ex players and current players who are saying it could.

The point: deflategate is being blown out of proportion.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:38 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
The NFL Will Conclude Belichick And Brady Did Not Cheat - Forbes

Always wondered about the taping. They did it openly in front of 80,000 fans. Didn't seem too sneaky to me, and afterward, a bunch of people admitted that many of the teams were doing it.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:58 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
No matter who deflated them, the balls were light in pressure and the Colts balls weren't, so the balls were outside of the rules. The NFL can't ignore that fact in light of all the hubbub.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:00 AM

What it comes down to is the game should not be about the equipment, hence the reason for the rule in the first place. Can anybody disagree with that?

Old 01-25-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The NFL Will Conclude Belichick And Brady Did Not Cheat - Forbes

Always wondered about the taping. They did it openly in front of 80,000 fans. Didn't seem too sneaky to me, and afterward, a bunch of people admitted that many of the teams were doing it.
But they got caught taping and it was against the rules. You maybe can complain about it being the Pats that seem to get caught and say it is because they are the Pats and people are against them, but doesn't that seem a bit paranoid? When Spygate happened, the Pats were not considered the dynasty they are today, so that is not a valid reason they got caught.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:42 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Quote:
Cheating (a discussion spurred by the Patriots)-a level headed discussion instead of the hate in other threads
Cheating gives any sport or industry a major blemish. It makes people (in this case: players, coaches and others) closely involved in the action look very bad. It leaves fans, customers or clients confused and upset about the processes within the industry which were compromised, and wondering about how and why this could even have happened.

The good news is that this particular cheating could create new ideas and methods in a process which should prevent the cheating.

The bad news is that there will always be those who will look for ways to cheat any new process.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:50 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Suppose the Colts inflated their balls to the max 13.5, the Pats to the min, 12.5, both legal. Then they went from the 72 degrees indoors to the 50 outdoors which caused the pressure to drop one lb. Then the Colts would be at 12.5, still legal and the Pats at 11.5, illegal. I know that a tire will drop that much or more with a 20 degree temp change. Don't know about footballs.
The whole problem could be solved, if the NFL would control the footballs, as they should.
This video illustrates your example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxsXFX3tDpg

Old 01-25-2015, 09:54 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Quote:
No matter who deflated them, the balls were light in pressure and the Colts balls weren't, so the balls were outside of the rules. The NFL can't ignore that fact in light of all the hubbub.
Quote:
What it comes down to is the game should not be about the equipment, hence the reason for the rule in the first place. Can anybody disagree with that?
Quote:
But they got caught taping and it was against the rules. You maybe can complain about it being the Pats that seem to get caught and say it is because they are the Pats and people are against them, but doesn't that seem a bit paranoid? When Spygate happened, the Pats were not considered the dynasty they are today, so that is not a valid reason they got caught.
Fans like yourself offer up no real reason to have such disdain towards the Patriots. And in fact after 3 Super Bowl wins they were already considered a dynasty before Spy Gate. And after Spy Gate they went 18-0, and since that time continue to win, as evidenced by being in the past four AFC Championship games.

You will blindly forever accuse the Patriots of something. And even if the upcoming report finds nothing, you will continue to point fingers and doubt and come up with some reasoning that the Patriots are still bad. This Deflate Gate will probably make everyone outside of New England look like witch hunters, including you. You will look at anything the Patriots do and be on the bandwagon that blows things so far out of proportion it's comical.

So as a fan such as yourself continues to spew negativism in the direction of the Patriots without any true reasoning other than a rules infraction for which you will just say cheating regardless of the facts, and with so many other stories of other improprieties around the league that get no press, I will as a Pats fan have no respect for a "fan" of football like yourself. Pats fans have every right to term outsiders haters. I've read everything you've posted in this thread. My expectations is you will bite back at this post with something - go ahead. I'm pretty much done with being defensive towards people such as yourself. Your "perception" makes you look the fool, although I know you don't think that and believe it is I who am the fool. Keep on assuming the Patriots are a bad evil team who is cheating at every corner. Sad really.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:56 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Cheating gives any sport or industry a major blemish. It makes people (in this case: players, coaches and others) closely involved in the action look very bad. It leaves fans, customers or clients confused and upset about the processes within the industry which were compromised, and wondering about how and why this could even have happened.

The good news is that this particular cheating could create new ideas and methods in a process which should prevent the cheating.

The bad news is that there will always be those who will look for ways to cheat any new process.
And you like others continue to assume there is cheating in this case. And even if the NFL comes back with nothing, you won't believe them. It is so old listening to supposed fans of football outside of New England continue to assume everything.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Fans like yourself offer up no real reason to have such disdain towards the Patriots. And in fact after 3 Super Bowl wins they were already considered a dynasty before Spy Gate. And after Spy Gate they went 18-0, and since that time continue to win, as evidenced by being in the past four AFC Championship games.

You will blindly forever accuse the Patriots of something. And even if the upcoming report finds nothing, you will continue to point fingers and doubt and come up with some reasoning that the Patriots are still bad. This Deflate Gate will probably make everyone outside of New England look like witch hunters, including you. You will look at anything the Patriots do and be on the bandwagon that blows things so far out of proportion it's comical.

So as a fan such as yourself continues to spew negativism in the direction of the Patriots without any true reasoning other than a rules infraction for which you will just say cheating regardless of the facts, and with so many other stories of other improprieties around the league that get no press, I will as a Pats fan have no respect for a "fan" of football like yourself. Pats fans have every right to term outsiders haters. I've read everything you've posted in this thread. My expectations is you will bite back at this post with something - go ahead. I'm pretty much done with being defensive towards people such as yourself. Your "perception" makes you look the fool, although I know you don't think that and believe it is I who am the fool. Keep on assuming the Patriots are a bad evil team who is cheating at every corner. Sad really.
Why are you so paranoid that you think anyone who is against cheating is against the Pats? Could it be that they have the most accusations against them? Aren't you being overly sensitive?

I am against cheating at any point. This time around it happens to be the Pats accused of cheating. I did not accuse them, the Colts did. Can we not discuss the possibility the Colts were right? Can we not discuss what should come of it? Can we not discuss what the NFL should do to prevent it in the future? Can we not have a discussion without defenders of the accused turning a blind eye to the facts as they are known at this point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football