U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 05:58 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,224,097 times

Advertisements

The Problem with the science, IMO.. it seemed to ignore the Indy balls.. If it were nothing more than the weather then seems to me the deflation would have effected all 24 balls and not just 11 of the 12 Patriots balls.. that's the part that debunks the science, IMO.

I think the Pats either deliberately deflated the balls or the refs simply did not confirm there was enough air in the Pats balls to begin with.. JMO!

Old 01-27-2015, 06:34 AM

9,072 posts, read 15,041,236 times
A lot of ex QB's seem to be rather incensed about deflategate, and they probably know a thing or two about what is going on behind the scenes having been in the league. It sure does not seem likely it was an innocent situation.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:14 AM

6,449 posts, read 3,458,717 times
Does the NFL always test balls at halftime, or is it only in that pre-game time?

Old 01-27-2015, 07:15 AM

2,041 posts, read 3,219,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
IF true, SOMEONE gave the "orders," why would a locker room attendant or ball boy do anything so mischievous if not paid or who knows for what reason? Sad, this probably has been going on for years. Why cheat when you are one of the best?

EXACTLY! This came from someone higher up. There's no way some ball boy would take it upon himself to deflate 11 balls in the NFC championship game non the less. For the sake of argument lets just say he did, Brady says he's always done everything by the rules so wouldn't he be the first to recognize this and correct them? As much as I love football over the past several years there's to much concern on $$$ and it's ruining the game. The owners and Goodell are starting to look a lot like our political leaders and that's not saying a whole lot!

Old 01-27-2015, 07:24 AM

6,420 posts, read 4,179,346 times
I used to check and inflate basketballs when I was a student assistant for my Jr High School team. It does not take more than a second once the needle is inserted for the ball to lose a significant amount of pressure. You are not talking about a lot of volume in a basketball and a football has even less volume. 90 seconds is more than enough time, but would still indicate a rush job, which might account for one missed ball.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:53 AM

If we are to assume (as we've been doing all along) that these leaks have some truth to them, then I challenge ANY Patriots fan (and I am a huge Pats fan, and Brady is my #1 favorite athlete) to believe this is an isolated incident for which some employee decided to do something on his own. You would be a fool to believe that someone higher up (and in this case I will still point to ONLY two people - Brady or McDaniels, NOT Belichick) didn't at some point make their wishes known.

I could still say (not that I believe it) that the person could have been paid off by someone outside the organization to have this done, assuming this targeted person becomes the ultimate guilty party.

The NFL has pinned themselves in a corner. Even me as a Pats fan would chuckle if they come out and only blame this one employee acting on his own. I would of course understand the rest of the world doubting that. My only wish, IF this one employee is singled out, for him to whistle blow the truth. I want to know, period.

But honestly, and this is where people may jump on me for being a Patriots fan, this would NOT make me not be a fan of the Patriots, or diminish the accomplishments of Brady and Belichick, although I know their reputations would be tarnished forever by a majority of the football world. This act in itself, by my (and others) estimation, does not have a measurable or provable advantage on the field of play, as evidenced alone by Brady's 2nd half performance. But I, as a Patriots fan, would be hugely disappointed to think that the Patriots would think they needed to stoop to such a level to gain a pinhead's worth of an advantage. That would be the biggest travesty in all of this, because I believe any true football fan cannot deny the greatness of Brady and Belichick and what they have accomplished.

What I have written above is ALL based on assumption, but it's all we have right now. It's such a shame the NFL has spoiled this years Super Bowl with this story taking precedent. That's where I think the NFL screwed up.

And to Richard Sherman - honestly you should have not answered the question posed to you accusing your boss (Goodell) of collusion with Kraft. With all of your trash talking, that's a cross the line low blow. Plus Kraft coming out and demanding an apology from the NFL if no wrong doing is found is an interesting look at that friendship.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:55 AM

7,623 posts, read 11,469,376 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF3TZrvkKvc

Old 01-27-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
HAHAHA - that was funny

Old 01-27-2015, 08:22 AM

6,420 posts, read 4,179,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
But I, as a Patriots fan, would be hugely disappointed to think that the Patriots would think they needed to stoop to such a level to gain a pinhead's worth of an advantage. That would be the biggest travesty in all of this, because I believe any true football fan cannot deny the greatness of Brady and Belichick and what they have accomplished.
Yet there are similar cases all over in all walks of life of people losing their good paying job because they stole something from their employer or did something else illegal, for a relative small amount of financial gain compared to the amount of money they were making in the job. They had to know what the risk was but they did it anyway. It's a strange world we live in.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Yet there are similar cases all over in all walks of life of people losing their good paying job because they stole something from their employer or did something else illegal, for a relative small amount of financial gain compared to the amount of money they were making in the job. They had to know what the risk was but they did it anyway. It's a strange world we live in.
Those differences fall squarely on the laps of the NFL and their handling of this sort of situation. Right now this is in their hands. They have the power to do anything, from nothing at all, or all the way to stripping the Patriots of past victories. The perpetrator is always the one at fault - the boss is the only one with the ability to set the example and lay the ground rules for the future. It wasn't good enough for people that in Spy Gate draft picks were lost, and Belichick and the Patriots were stiffly fined - people wanted more. We'll see what comes of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football