U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-28-2015, 02:23 PM
 
2,286 posts, read 1,511,805 times
Reputation: 1143

Advertisements

Because Brady is constantly whining to the refs every time he gets hit, and as a result, certain QBs get preferential treatment regarding roughing the passer penalties. Because they're dismissive of people in the media far too often. Because whenever they lose in the postseason, they're extremely poor sports.

And Lol at that link. It's unfair to hate on the Patriots before proven guilty, but it's cool to hate on the Colts for an artificial noise allegation? Ngata's "PED" use? Might as well start on about Chris Davis now too. I just have to laugh at the title of the article.

 
Old 01-28-2015, 03:14 PM
 
51,950 posts, read 41,815,822 times
Reputation: 32413
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
IMO, the article really made the Pats look worse because most of the teams only had some PED violators and then the article brought up domestic violence or something from the Packers 90 years ago and a whole bunch of other handwaving like "allegations".

I will give the writer credit for flailing wildly in distraction by including allegations, non-cheating and whatnot but for someone that is relatively neutral on the topic it was just silliness.

I don't personally think the ball pressure thing is THAT big of a deal but you have the double whammy of getting caught recently coupled with getting caught leading up to the Super-Bowl. It's not like it's some 2-6 team getting caught where they hand out some fines and maybe some people get fired with little national fanfare.

To think that in the media circus run-up to the Superbowl with Spygate fresh in peoples minds is some sort of unfair media attention.....is laughable whining.

Clearly, Pats fans won't see it this way but it's not just a bunch of pats haters piling on.

Me personally, I'm just going to sit back and wait for the NFL's findings.
 
Old 01-28-2015, 03:18 PM
 
51,950 posts, read 41,815,822 times
Reputation: 32413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Not similar, but the Giants cheated on the salary cap, which means they had players that should not have been on their team. Should have forfeited those games.
But the worst example of cheating was the Saints paying players to intentionally hurt other players. Very much against the rules.
Taping the other team like the Pats did was against the rules, but had been allowed previously.
Bountygate was really only cheating in that players got money outside the cap.

Trying to knock opposing talent out of games is a fact of football. Saints just put a payola amount on it.

Don't kid yourself, any defensive lineman worth their salt that gets a bead on the opposing QB this Sunday is going to hit them like they want to kill them.
 
Old 01-29-2015, 04:19 AM
 
16,790 posts, read 9,119,114 times
Reputation: 6803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
Here's video of a guy deflating 11 + 1 footballs in 40 seconds. So, I believe the 11 balls could be leaked (as well as the ball boy taking a leak himself lol) within 90 seconds. Also, a precise air pressure bleeding device could easily be rigged up. Of course, this doesn't confirm that anything nefarious happened, but the deed is definitely doable.

The problem with taking air out of the footballs is that scientifically speaking... A dry 75 degree ball will lose about 1.8 PSI when made 50 degrees and wet.

Since the Patriot balls were typically between 1.5 and 2.0 PSI short -- then perhaps the attendant was actually secretly putting some air back in to the tune of about 0.1 PSI?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxsXFX3tDpg
 
Old 01-29-2015, 04:29 AM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa?
6,420 posts, read 4,181,378 times
Reputation: 5707
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The problem with taking air out of the footballs is that scientifically speaking... A dry 75 degree ball will lose about 1.8 PSI when made 50 degrees and wet.

Since the Patriot balls were typically between 1.5 and 2.0 PSI short -- then perhaps the attendant was actually secretly putting some air back in to the tune of about 0.1 PSI?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxsXFX3tDpg
He then made himself invisible and went over to the colts locker room and added air to their footballs to make sure they didn't have the same advantage.
 
Old 01-29-2015, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Yucaipa, California
9,729 posts, read 18,433,504 times
Reputation: 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Because Brady is constantly whining to the refs every time he gets hit, and as a result, certain QBs get preferential treatment regarding roughing the passer penalties. Because they're dismissive of people in the media far too often. Because whenever they lose in the postseason, they're extremely poor sports.
I agree. Brady is a bit of a cry baby especially when they are losing. His model wife annoys me & MANY others.
 
Old 01-29-2015, 02:34 PM
 
16,790 posts, read 9,119,114 times
Reputation: 6803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
He then made himself invisible and went over to the colts locker room and added air to their footballs to make sure they didn't have the same advantage.
#1 It wasn't an advantage - the Patriots played significantly better with the properly inflated balls in the 2nd half.

Tom Brady with the deflated ball 11 of 21 passing, 1 TD, 1 INT, QB Rating 60.6.

Tom Brady with the inflated ball 12 of 14 passing, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, QB Rating 145.2


#2 As has been stated too often...the Patriots and Colts' balls are not constant to one another.

--The Colts balls sat in an unheated cold storage compartment on the undercarriage of a charter bus for hours and then went straight in to the refs. They would be colder than the Patriots balls when checked in and therefore lose less PSI when out in the cold.

--The Colts check their balls in at 13.5, the Patriots at 12.5. The Colts can lose 1.0 PSI and still be legal. The Patriots can't even lose 0.1 PSI to still be legal.

--Sideline heaters raise the PSI as it dries the balls out and increases the temperature -- both increase PSI. So, scientifically speaking, would you not expect balls kept in proximity to a heater to have a higher PSI than those not?


#3 Are you literally denying scientific principles like a ball that is getting colder loses pressure just like your car tires do in the winter? That leather absorbs water and a leather football expands slightly when wet, which means more volume and less pressure?


P.S. You do realize that the Patriots locker room attendant had the Colts' balls with him and didn't need to go over there to get them - as he literally had them. What a lot of people don't realize is that he has to keep sight of them at all times while they are entrusted to him. He is suppose to bring them into the bathroom if he has to pee.

Last edited by michiganmoon; 01-29-2015 at 02:47 PM..
 
Old 01-29-2015, 04:15 PM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,881,732 times
Reputation: 2779
Welp the verdict is in - this whole entire deflated ball situation was a media driven frenzy in the end has come up baseless. The bad information thrown out there by people like Chris Mortensen caused this thing to spire way out of control.
 
Old 01-29-2015, 05:47 PM
 
4,574 posts, read 7,062,229 times
Reputation: 4222
Haven't heard yet that there has been a finding of absolute proof that the Patriots (the organization, or any individuals) have done anything intentionally...let's also keep in mind that this is an NFL rule violation not a law enforcement issue (as was Ray Rice, etc.).

I heard a former Oakland Raider being interviewed yesterday about how and others, back in the day, greased themselves down with silicone and Vaseline so they wouldn't be tackled very easily and he thought nothing of it, no guilt although this would be considered cheating today.


Remember, Brady and Manning were the two QB's (the darlings of the NFL) to ask for change the rules for QB's could so they could get their hands on the footballs before the games so they could work on them to get them "the way the wanted" and the NFL allowed it.
 
Old 01-29-2015, 06:28 PM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,881,732 times
Reputation: 2779
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Haven't heard yet that there has been a finding of absolute proof that the Patriots (the organization, or any individuals) have done anything intentionally...let's also keep in mind that this is an NFL rule violation not a law enforcement issue (as was Ray Rice, etc.).

I heard a former Oakland Raider being interviewed yesterday about how and others, back in the day, greased themselves down with silicone and Vaseline so they wouldn't be tackled very easily and he thought nothing of it, no guilt although this would be considered cheating today.


Remember, Brady and Manning were the two QB's (the darlings of the NFL) to ask for change the rules for QB's could so they could get their hands on the footballs before the games so they could work on them to get them "the way the wanted" and the NFL allowed it.
NFL didn’t log the PSI of each Patriots football | ProFootballTalk

This ends it for me. So much bad information was thrown out there by NFL insiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top