U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 06:37 PM

6,441 posts, read 3,451,927 times

Advertisements

Although we're getting back into the details of Deflate Gate, it keeps to my point on the effect of cheating in sports.

We as fans, not the casual fan, get invested in our team. I really believe that a large percentage of the haters wouldn't be talking at all if it was their team with the lengthy success of the Patriots and this happened to their team. They'd be defensive too.

Cheating affects us differently as fans. As I previously stated, I've seen cheating with no vested interest in the individual or team but have still been hurt by it. For me it's more about integrity.

I had a discussion with my 82 year old mother who is a sports fan. We were discussing cheating and the cover-up that usually precedes the truth. Lance Armstrong strung people out for years until he came clean on Oprah, albeit after consistently lying. I told my mother I was as disgusted by the lying as I was the act. She in turn said she didn't care as much about the lying, but it's the act that bothers her most.

Right now as a Pats fan, I still don't know the truth. I believed what I saw in the press conferences today knowing full well I've been duped in the past in sports controversy. Until the reports come out, we shall see. Maybe I don't want to believe Brady and Belichick are lying, but right now I believe they are not.

It really is amazing how the discussions about cheating are usually deeper than the discussion of the sport itself. In this case, there is a Super Bowl in less than two weeks and the world is talking only (in general) about Deflate Gate - such an idiotic name.

Last edited by metalmancpa; 01-22-2015 at 07:50 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 08:16 PM

9,577 posts, read 4,589,584 times
I think they should just cancel the Super Bowl and put a "My Mother the Car" rerun on instead.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:17 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
One good thing about this story is we don't have to talk about the SB for 2 whole weeks which I always hated because it seemed like it took forever. So we can call this a "NFL Filler" until Next Tuesday and that's when the pregame hype starts. Normally the week after the Championship Game there is nothing to talk about but definitely not this week.

Last edited by FBJ; 01-22-2015 at 08:57 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 08:41 PM

12,247 posts, read 17,986,322 times
I like that^

Old 01-22-2015, 09:07 PM

32,438 posts, read 26,300,226 times
i think the first thing that needs to happen is to absolutely define cheating. take for instance my favorite sport, auto racing. back in the early 60s the rule was gasoline only to fuel the engines. well smoky yunick figured out that nitrous oxide was NOT a fuel but rather an oxidizer. so he installed a system on one of his race cars, and told the driver that when he comes out of turn four to open the bottle four turns. nascar then had to make a rule saying no pressure systems, which precluded using nitrous.

when one reads the rule book, one can always find "grey" areas that the rules dont cover. to exploit these grey areas, is that cheating or is it creative adjustment?

Old 01-22-2015, 09:22 PM

3,466 posts, read 3,147,352 times
Cripes, cheating in pro sports who would of thought. All the best coaches and players find ways around the rules. Always have, always will...

Why does each QB need to pick 12 balls, it isn't baseball where balls are being hit or thrown in the dirt, well unless McNabb threw them, but the same football should be used for both sides, it's set up for teams and QBs to cheat.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:56 AM

18,347 posts, read 23,510,540 times
if a defensive cornerback is interfering with a catch and doesn't get called on it ,,,is it cheating???

its a penalty only if caught , we see holding calls every game , and some get penalties,,
yet many do not,,,the holding that does not get called,,are they cheating?? are they bending the rules to get an advantage??

we see "taunting" and "unsportsmanlike" behavior being now called... because they get caught
so, if they do taunt and don't get called for it ,,,they are cheaters?? they are knowingly doing it, hoping they don't get caught

pro sports have been striving for competitive advantages forever,,,some may call cheating

but because its the patriots,,,they are getting nailed for 2 lbs of psi??

they are being called CHEATERS yet there is no evidence they tampered with these balls

here are some other nfl examples

Deflate-gate: A look at NFL cheating and gamesmanship through the years - CBS News

Old 01-23-2015, 04:36 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,196,040 times
NFL needs to improve its oversight of how/where/who/whats of football management before the game. Obviously the teams have found a loophole and now the NFL will have someone safeguard the balls. What a fiasco. More important things in the world/country - but how this has taken the lead story on many of the top news organizations is really embarrassing for our country.

Last edited by BucFan; 01-23-2015 at 05:14 AM..

Old 01-23-2015, 05:32 AM

2,156 posts, read 1,263,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

when one reads the rule book, one can always find "grey" areas that the rules dont cover. to exploit these grey areas, is that cheating or is it creative adjustment?
Creative Adjustment!! I love it!! That's what Brady should have thought of instead of "duh...I duuno"...maybe, the fellas got caught up in some Washington weed?

The two looked like they were up all night, trying to make up a good Creative Adjustment to their hand caught in the big fat cookie jar.....just like some political folks......they think we are stupid....."duh, dunno what happened". Proves what I have thought all along. CHEATERS are also known to be LIARS!! Enough hot air in that press room to inflate all the footballs in the NFL. (since there seems to be a shortage of good old air!)

Correct me if I am wrong; don't know a lot about the game; but it seems like the FOOTBALL is a main component; how long has this been going on? Looks like the footballs need to be guarded; all is fair in love, war and sports?

The NFL needs two rule books: One, the REAL RULES and the "other", the CREATIVE ADJUSTMENT to the REAL RULES!

Last edited by mollygee; 01-23-2015 at 05:48 AM..

Old 01-23-2015, 06:04 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,172,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
A tv station did just that today at the Official Pat's store in Foxboro today. That bought two Official footballs, took 2psi out of one and asked people leaving the store to handle both balls and tell the reporter if they could tell the difference. Out of the 5 people they showed, only one said he felt a difference...the ball was underinflated and guess what?? It wasn't!! Goes to show, mind over matter.
So you are saying they tricked people into thinking one of the two balls was under inflated and it wasn't, and only one of five people still thought one was? Is there something in the water in New England that everyone is into trickery?

Even if it was above board and the other ball was deflated, the fact that the test was done in a Pats store in Foxborough negates any credibility. Based on the Pats Fans loyalty seen even here on CD, the people in the test had an incentive to make the test fail. Somebody should do the test in a neutral location.

Last edited by Cruzincat; 01-23-2015 at 06:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football