Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 04:52 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times

Advertisements

I am starting to think that Brady never thought it would be that big of an issue to deflate the balls and he is surprised that it is that big of an issue.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:13 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,389,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I will say repeatedly that I am not being a homer fan...
Repeatedly may be an understatement. Hmmm.. what's that famous quote from Shakespeare?

Old 01-23-2015, 07:05 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I am starting to think that Brady never thought it would be that big of an issue to deflate the balls and he is surprised that it is that big of an issue.
so now you are assuming that brady was the one that gave teh order to deflate the balls? assuming that the balls were in fact deflated below nfl rules. were they? did you personally check each and every ball to make sure they were with in the rules regarding the inflation of the balls? if not then you are relying on outside sources for your information, and that makes such information suspect by nature.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:34 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
A former player says that the refs don't always check the pressure before games. Sometimes, they just squeeze the balls.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so now you are assuming that brady was the one that gave teh order to deflate the balls? assuming that the balls were in fact deflated below nfl rules. were they? did you personally check each and every ball to make sure they were with in the rules regarding the inflation of the balls? if not then you are relying on outside sources for your information, and that makes such information suspect by nature.
I did not make a statement of fact. I was just saying what I am thinking, based on the statements by Brady in the press conferences, as well as the facts in the NFL statement today that the balls were in fact under inflated.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Yeah, it's hard to believe some ball boy took it upon himself to mess with the balls without being told to.

There was no advantage to it anyway. The Pats played better the 2nd half with "regular" balls.
Is the Indy game the only game they used underinflated balls? It was just the last game they played and they got caught playing with them.

It is said that the QB can gain an edge in bad weather, but if that is true then there is most likely an edge to be gained in any kind of weather. What is the edge worth as far as points in a game. No one can quantify that. It does become interesting, though when you look at how many close wins NE had during the regular season, as well as the game just before Deflate Gate game. Four wins with 7 or less points in the regular season.

There is no way anybody can prove that NE used underinflated balls in previous games. For anybody to deny the possibility, when they have been found out in the last game, is a real stretch.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:29 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
As the cheating scandal (yeah, THE one at this present time) unfolds as yet without any report from the investigation, I'll add another twisted scenario as everyone that is talking on the subject is currently doing, since the facts behind the deflated balls is still unknown. There are several camps in this particular scandal - belief in deliberate infraction of the rules, belief in some sort of mistake, belief that this is a set-up. There may be more, but from my readings these are the three largest at this time while the investigation continues and where no one including the media has all the facts.

The NFL today announced this great team of investigators that will look through every second of film from every camera, and every still picture. I assume they are looking for someone doctoring a ball on the sidelines. Either they'll find evidence or not. But this business of the NFL is in a quandary. It's been a rough PR year for the NFL, and now this right before the Super Bowl.

My BS thought (and please, part of me says this in jest -

I'm just jumping on that assumption bandwagon everyone else is from a Patriots fan standpoint): The NFL is dragging this out for their own PR. Sure, maybe it's hard to find evidence in this case so time is needed. Having tapes in Spy Gate was easy - evidence. But just having under inflated balls without cause is nothing. They have to come up with some news by Monday, as they cannot afford to have this drag into the normal media week of the Super Bowl. Obviously if they find evidence, that's an easy announcement, and whoever is responsible will shoulder the blame and punishment. And if they do find evidence, I would point my finger at McDaniels first, he knowing everything about the offense because that's his job.

But to appease the public, they cannot rush to an announcement of finding nothing, because many will point at them for a shoddy investigation, still believing there's cheating (in light of people already thinking Goodell and the NFL brass are idiots). The longer this drags out, the perception of a detailed investigation may help their cause. At this point in the frenzy, everyone wants a head. IF Brady & Belichick were telling the truth, then they have a potentially bigger problem. One could say if nothing is found that Brady & Belichick were subject to defamation of character.

The NFL has a lot at stake here. And Kraft is a major player, so they have to get this right, and if blame is cast they require irrefutable evidence. Anything less, and they're stuck with the fallout of continued disbelief.

Man.....even just the possibility of cheating is ugly, especially in a form of entertainment as huge as the NFL.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:34 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Just when I thought the week could not get any more crazy, I wake up to the back page of the NY Post and see this
Attached Thumbnails
Cheating (a discussion spurred by the Patriots)-a level headed discussion instead of the hate in other threads-ny.jpg  

Old 01-23-2015, 08:38 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,565 times
It's sad that the NFL is more hell bent on investigating Deflate-gate than they were when Ray Rice knocked the crap out of his wife.

As a Bostonian, I'm tickled pink over that NY Post cover. Nobody does sour grapes quite like New York sports fans.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:41 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
It's sad that the NFL is more hell bent on investigating Deflate-gate than they were when Ray Rice knocked the crap out of his wife.

As a Bostonian, I'm tickled pink over that NY Post cover. Nobody does sour grapes quite like New York sports fans.

yeah that back page was so wild they were talking about it on a local philly news cast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football