U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 02:41 PM

5,644 posts, read 4,233,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
iHas been re-opened.

We've had this discussion before and that thread went nutsy after a few days. Will keep this going for a while and see how it goes.
Yea, i was gonna say this is old news..

As a parent, allowing my son to play football is a hard choice to make. I evaluate that choice every season and am sure that the moment he gets a concussion, i will evaluate even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 08:50 PM

13,227 posts, read 17,991,900 times
I've suffered seven concussions in my lifetime, including three which were severe enough that I was hospitalized. If I die tonight and surgeons examine a slice of my brain tomorrow, they'll more than likely find signs of CTE. But you know what's funny? I live a relatively normal life, and I'm sharp enough to function on my own. Furthermore, none of my concussions were the result of playing football. If people want to say that football is dangerous, well guess what? Life is dangerous, and all my non-football-related concussions are proof of that.

I'm all in favor of being proactive to reduce the risk of concussions in football, and the most obvious places to start are by reinforcing proper tackling skills and improving equipment technology. But you'll have to pardon me if I'm not ready to sound an alarm simply because a couple dozen people out of tens of thousands who have played the sport at the professional level are suffering long-term effects in the aftermath of concussions. Steve Young and Troy Aikman both suffered multiple concussions and had their careers ended by them, and they're still alive and kicking at the ages of 53 and 48, respectively. In fact, I distinctly remember Aikman lamenting during a game broadcast last season that the rule changes in the NFL have been an overreaction.

I trust that the game of football will adapt to new equipment technology like they have in the past, improve their treatment of injuries like they've continued to do, and ultimately make football a safer sport by reducing the risk of concussions. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen in the not-too-distant future. One thing I still think they need to do, though, is reinforce tackling fundamentals. Most concussions are the result of poor tackling skills, and the idea that "they're pros, so they should already know how to tackle" isn't always true, so there needs to be reinforcement of tackling fundamentals even at the pro level.

The problem of concussions in football is fixable, especially if we don't give into the hysteria. Will they ever be eliminated? No, they happen in every sport. But the risk absolutely can be reduced with some effort and common sense.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:04 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,614,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Oh bull****. I knew the risks when I played high school and college ball back in the late 70's and early 80's.

These players know the risks and make millions.
With all due respect, I think you probably thought you knew the risks, but maybe you didn't really know the risks in their entirety. I doubt many people understood just how serious and likely the threat of CTE was before the recent research started being publicized.

I suspect that in the years to come, there will be a much better regulated and relatively safer version of the sport than what has existed up to this point. The concussion protocols are a major start and those ought to be mandatory at all levels of the football - including high school.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:05 AM

6,868 posts, read 3,953,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Oh bull****. I knew the risks when I played high school and college ball back in the late 70's and early 80's.

These players know the risks and make millions.
Watch the first half hour and I bet you change your tune. I doubt you knew concussion after concussion would result in permanent brain damage possibly leaving you as a drooling idiot. Besides, what good is all of that money if you cant even take care of yourself?

Old 01-31-2015, 07:23 AM

6,868 posts, read 3,953,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Exactly none of the players of the game of football are "victims" because all players are participating voluntarily. From Pee Wee to Pop Warner to the NFL...football is a voluntary exercise, caveat emptor.

Forget the NFL millionaires and the folks going to really good colleges for free or any other benefit from playing ball....even if nothing came of it besides just playing the sport for the fun of it...IT IS PURELY VOLUNTARY.

Brain damage from repeated concussions may be a bummer, it might even be unfortunate, but it isn't tragic and it certainly isn't something the NFL invented or swept under the rug. The term "got his bell rung" and being checked for concussions was happening when I played high school in the early 80s, and I know guys who played college ball in the 50s and 60s who said the same thing.

The reason it's a big deal now is the welfare state makes everyone into a victim in order to cut holes in the bottom of deep pockets. Maybe 30-35k people have played NFL football, and so far we have what...a dozen or so "tragic" cases like Mike Webster and Junior Seau? Statistically, the pool is very small, and the hysteria very big...and once more, the fact that football is PURELY VOLUNTARY is always the missing detail behind the truth of it all.
You are right, it is a voluntary decision, but what I would like to see is the players educated to the possible long term damage of playing for years in the NFL. I doubt the NFL emphasizes this. Police, firefighters know the dangers of the job, why shouldn't football players? And BTW, it is not a small pool of players. Some are effected more seriously than others, many have admitted to serious memory problems. Google Justin Strzelczyk or Terry Long to name two and I think you will find it is many more than you think. Here, read this.
List of NFL players with chronic traumatic encephalohttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_players_with_chronic_traumatic_encepha lopathypathy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Remember, the list of players with CTE is not complete, the list only includes players who's brains were donated and examined, I have a feeling the list will grow.

Last edited by Ghostrider275452; 01-31-2015 at 07:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or