U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 08:07 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,212,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Richard Sherman unsure if he'll skip Super Bowl for son's birth - NFL - SI.com

So Seattle Seahawks football player Richard Sherman's baby momma is about to deliver their first, and there is every possibility that it could coincide with the Super Bowl on Sunday. If so, should he abandon his job, fans, and teammates, or should he abandon his gf and child?

From what I'm hearing, most males seem to think that playing the game is a no-brainer (more on that later) while most females think that he should skip the game if necessary.

Although I am a male, I think the latter. In the first place, football is a dumb sport that inevitably results in brain damage. Thirty years down the road, what are you going to remember? That you bashed an opponents brains out, or that you were there for the birth of your child?

If the opponent bashed your brains out, you will probably not have a memory at all, so perhaps that is a potential counter-argument.

Whatever is the right choice for him and his girlfriend is what he should do no matter what armchair fans say about it. His decision affects him and his family alone and no one else should really give a second thought about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 08:11 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,158,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Whatever is the right choice for him and his girlfriend is what he should do no matter what armchair fans say about it. His decision affects him and his family alone and no one else should really give a second thought about it.
Actually it has a huge affect on his teammates and employer too.

6,742 posts, read 4,124,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
It's a stigma, so it's just an easy way out.

It's not all NFL football players went to college, majored in like general studies, and copied all of his answers off the resident nerd. There's a lot of players who graduated with a 3.0+ GPA. There's a lot of players who graduated with a 2.0 GPA. It actually takes a lot of intelligence to learn an entire play book and execute it in-game, but people don't want to hear about that. All they see is 22 guys hitting each other on the field, they don't actually know what happens before the game.

And yes, people who hate sports or just football will chime in with there biased opinions. The people who know what it takes to actually play sports will read it like they themselves are the neanderthals.
On bleepin point.

The amount of preparation that goes into any given week, the attention to detail, film study, etc, takes half a brain at least.

Not to mention a lot of coaches were former players.

I imagine the people who refer to football players as Neanderthals were either pummeled to death in dodgeball by the jocks in grade school and can't bench press the bar by itself at the gym (if they've been in one since high school).

5,121 posts, read 5,558,089 times
Well, it's his job and I think this is one of those cases where the job trumps things and he knows it (hence not being able to decide... otherwise it would be an easy decision for him). I really don't think you can compare an office worker, factory worker, or most people with a "regular" job with his job because it's not like he can "catch up" on work later and there is a lot at stake (a lot of money for a lot of people including his team, the owners of the team, etc).

It's part of the price you pay for being a highly paid sports star (or the girlfriend of a highly paid sports star). Being there for the birth is wonderful and it's great to support the mother of your child, but sometimes it just can't happen.

I think it's a bit sadder for men in the military who are overseas/deployed when their children are born. After all, they don't have a choice and on top of that, they aren't paid millions of dollars to make up for it. They can't be there because of their jobs too. It happens.

Although, if I were to bet money, his child won't be born during the game. He and his girlfriend are expecting "within the week" and labor lasts for hours. She could go into labor that morning and still not have the child before the game is over (especially if this is her first). The timing for the baby to be born during the small window of time during the game would have to be pretty phenomenal.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:17 PM

43,545 posts, read 52,637,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
On bleepin point.

The amount of preparation that goes into any given week, the attention to detail, film study, etc, takes half a brain at least.

Not to mention a lot of coaches were former players.

I imagine the people who refer to football players as Neanderthals were either pummeled to death in dodgeball by the jocks in grade school and can't bench press the bar by itself at the gym (if they've been in one since high school).
High school athlete.
College athlete.
MMA practitioner.
Current tennis league champ.
And I benched 240 x 5 reps as a 150 pound female.

I love my college football team, but overall think the sport and athletes are overhyped, brain-damaged hooligans.

Still think this guy belongs at the Superbowl bc his team is counting on him. Not like he'd be any use in the delivery room, and he doesn't even care enough to commit to this woman (surprise, surprise).

Old 01-30-2015, 09:10 PM

768 posts, read 919,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
It's a stigma, so it's just an easy way out.

It's not all NFL football players went to college, majored in like general studies, and copied all of his answers off the resident nerd. There's a lot of players who graduated with a 3.0+ GPA. There's a lot of players who graduated with a 2.0 GPA. It actually takes a lot of intelligence to learn an entire play book and execute it in-game, but people don't want to hear about that. All they see is 22 guys hitting each other on the field, they don't actually know what happens before the game.

And yes, people who hate sports or just football will chime in with there biased opinions. The people who know what it takes to actually play sports will read it like they themselves are the neanderthals.
Yes, those NFL playbooks are as big as the size of phonebooks and would require an insane amount of intelligence and study.

That being said, I think he should play in the Super Bowl.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:18 PM

9,071 posts, read 15,029,788 times
First I need to recognize that although this is his job, and people take leave from their job for a birth of a child all the time... a man who is paid $56 million over 4 years to be an elite athlete is not exactly in a normal job.

He is paid that much, an absolutely insane amount of money, to go out and be one of the best players on his team to win this very game.

It is an extreme situation which cannot be boiled down to what normal people do, and I think at these salaries and the importance of this particular game he has a rather strong obligation to show and perform.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:20 PM

6,742 posts, read 4,124,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
High school athlete.
College athlete.
MMA practitioner.
Current tennis league champ.
And I benched 240 x 5 reps as a 150 pound female.

I love my college football team, but overall think the sport and athletes are overhyped, brain-damaged hooligans.

Still think this guy belongs at the Superbowl bc his team is counting on him. Not like he'd be any use in the delivery room, and he doesn't even care enough to commit to this woman (surprise, surprise).
Good for you. Former athlete, too - football. And that's ironic that you would consider them "overhyped, brain-damaged hooligans", when you practice MMA (which I used to practice, too), when literally the object of the fight is to beat your opponent unconscious or into submission.

Still confused on how a Stanford grad with a 3.9 GPA is a brain-damaged hooligan. Among many other smart, well-respected men who are husbands and fathers that play the sport. Just flat out stupid.

The rest of your post is just an baseless assumption, which is something you seem to do at an All-American level.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:22 PM

21,188 posts, read 20,997,302 times
To be honest, the reason that I would understand him playing in the Superbowl instead of being at the birth of his child (although I doubt it is even going to be at the same time) has nothing to do with his teammates, his salary, his job, etc. As someone who has followed their passion in life, I would imagine that playing in the Superbowl is what he lives for. If I were his wife (or girlfriend, I suppose), I would want him to live his dream. It would still suck having to go through labor with out him - but I wouldn't want to deprive him of something so few people get to experience.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:27 PM

9,071 posts, read 15,029,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
To be honest, the reason that I would understand him playing in the Superbowl instead of being at the birth of his child (although I doubt it is even going to be at the same time) has nothing to do with his teammates, his salary, his job, etc. As someone who has followed their passion in life, I would imagine that playing in the Superbowl is what he lives for. If I were his wife (or girlfriend, I suppose), I would want him to live his dream. It would still suck having to go through labor with out him - but I wouldn't want to deprive him of something so few people get to experience.
Definitely understandable, but it may be something he later regrets too. It would be a TOUGH decision. Playing a super bowl is a football players dream, but so should be being present for the birth of their child! Really, a Super Bowl couldn't be more amazing than that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or