Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 06:17 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times

Advertisements

Richard Sherman unsure if he'll skip Super Bowl for son's birth - NFL - SI.com

So Seattle Seahawks football player Richard Sherman's baby momma is about to deliver their first, and there is every possibility that it could coincide with the Super Bowl on Sunday. If so, should he abandon his job, fans, and teammates, or should he abandon his gf and child?

From what I'm hearing, most males seem to think that playing the game is a no-brainer (more on that later) while most females think that he should skip the game if necessary.

Although I am a male, I think the latter. In the first place, football is a dumb sport that inevitably results in brain damage. Thirty years down the road, what are you going to remember? That you bashed an opponents brains out, or that you were there for the birth of your child?

If the opponent bashed your brains out, you will probably not have a memory at all, so perhaps that is a potential counter-argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 06:25 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
I don't know that there is a "right" answer. I will say that both could be once in a lifetime events - so it's not necessarily a black and white situation. As a mother, I'm so grateful that my husband was there with me for the births of both of our children. It would have been really scary and lonely to go through that by myself. My husband has said that being there was truly amazing and that he wouldn't have missed it for anything. But he's also not a professional football player with a chance to play in the Superbowl. I mean - it's the SUPERBOWL!

Old 01-30-2015, 06:41 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I don't know that there is a "right" answer. I will say that both could be once in a lifetime events - so it's not necessarily a black and white situation. As a mother, I'm so grateful that my husband was there with me for the births of both of our children. It would have been really scary and lonely to go through that by myself. My husband has said that being there was truly amazing and that he wouldn't have missed it for anything. But he's also not a professional football player with a chance to play in the Superbowl. I mean - it's the SUPERBOWL!
Exactly my point. It's a sporting event vs. the devotion to wife (okay baby momma) and child. It would not be a difficult decision for me.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:49 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
I think Sherman should play the game. It is not just football, it is his job at the end of the day.

17,869 posts, read 20,987,260 times
There's no wrong answer, it should be discussed and a decision should be reached.

But yeah, I'd probably be playing in the Super Bowl. As a sports player, you work your entire life for this moment, especially if you are starting. If you aren't starting, and just a role-player, I'd probably go be with my SO.

Richard Sherman is one of the best Corners in the league right now, so he's a major part of that team's success.

1,979 posts, read 3,524,094 times
She's nine months pregnant, but there is no reason to believe that the baby is coming on Sunday. Sherman has even said the baby isn't due to come this weekend. It's a side story blown completely up by the media; no one even knew his girlfriend was pregnant until this past week.

It's a decision to be made between him and his girlfriend, based on what feels right for them. Pete Carroll has even said that it is Sherman's decision, and that "family comes first."

Old 01-30-2015, 06:52 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
I am a woman and I have 2 kids and I think foitball is for overpaid neanderthals but I like watching it sometimes and I say Superbowl.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:54 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think Sherman should play the game. It is not just football, it is his job at the end of the day.

His job, and he owes it to his entire team. The kid won't remember. I never did.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:16 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
His job, and he owes it to his entire team. The kid won't remember. I never did.
Just playing devil's advocate, but: Do most of the men here plan on going into the office while your wife is in labor? Because that's your job, after all.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:18 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
I don't think that it's understandable if he plays in the Superbowl because it's his "job." My husband missed work to be there when our second son born. But I think it's understandable if he plays in the Superbowl because it's the Superbowl. I think either choice he makes is valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football