U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2015, 10:59 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,480,371 times

Advertisements

Not sure how long this has been the case but normally the night before the superbowl it's a long marathon leading all the way up to the actual SB for this season. But I checked the programming schedule for ESPN2 and tonight after 1am there is nothing on but NBA basketball and Sportscenter. Then I checked the programming schedule for the NFL Network and they are airing some new programming like superbowl saturday night and best superbowl commercials.

So this seems to be a first for the night before the superbowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 10:06 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,166,025 times
But few sports carry most of a day like the Super Bowl does now days. Its more like a event followed by the game. Often people are getting prepared for the day the night before now days.My wife for instance wentt o two huge super grocery stores when she decided to make wings also. Zero wings available at 10:30 am and Dallas nor Houston is in the game. The talk shows are most during the entire week before so spread out. I saw no shortage on my cable; altho I don't watch them. Of course those with basket ball contracts are going to carry that.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But few sports carry most of a day like the Super Bowl does now days. Its more like a event followed by the game. Often people are getting prepared for the day the night before now days.My wife for instance wentt o two huge super grocery stores when she decided to make wings also. Zero wings available at 10:30 am and Dallas nor Houston is in the game. The talk shows are most during the entire week before so spread out. I saw no shortage on my cable; altho I don't watch them. Of course those with basket ball contracts are going to carry that.
I was just shocked not see it on atleast ESPN2 overnight which was always the norm. I am not sure if there is still a ESPNClassic but it would have definitely fit on that channel the night before the superbowl.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:04 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,312,756 times
No network can air all of the Super Bowls - there are no broadcast tapes (ie, copies made by the broadcasters) of Super Bowl I. And that was the only Super Bowl to be televised by two networks - one that had the rights to televise NFL games and the other that had the rights for AFL games. Neither network bothered to preserve their copies.

There's a quad tape of part of one of the telecasts of the game (the third quarter is missing) made by a viewer, and broadcast footage of a few of the scoring plays has been preserved. But that's it - a partial home-recording and a few plays.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
No network can air all of the Super Bowls - there are no broadcast tapes (ie, copies made by the broadcasters) of Super Bowl I. And that was the only Super Bowl to be televised by two networks - one that had the rights to televise NFL games and the other that had the rights for AFL games. Neither network bothered to preserve their copies.

There's a quad tape of part of one of the telecasts of the game (the third quarter is missing) made by a viewer, and broadcast footage of a few of the scoring plays has been preserved. But that's it - a partial home-recording and a few plays.
I was referring to the NFL Films version of all the SB highlights narrated by John Facenda which used to air overnight every year the night before the superbowl.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:29 PM

589 posts, read 870,526 times
They were all on nfl network during the week before the sb. Check on demand, they are available there too.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
They were all on nfl network during the week before the sb. Check on demand, they are available there too.
The week before? Why?

Old 02-02-2015, 07:21 PM

11,737 posts, read 11,585,573 times
There were some on the NFL Network today, saw an hour show of 2010 Packers and then 2011 Giants.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:06 PM

589 posts, read 870,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
The week before? Why?
Because the sb was coming up? They do it every year that way. Not necessarily the night before. With 48 sb's to roll thru, it takes a while.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Because the sb was coming up? They do it every year that way. Not necessarily the night before. With 48 sb's to roll thru, it takes a while.
I thought they started it the saturday before the SB around 12pm and lead all the way up to SB Sunday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or