U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 11:39 AM

13,929 posts, read 19,146,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
If Davis gets in (7607 yds), you would almost have to put Larry Johnson(6223 yds) and Priest Holmes(8173 yds) in. Very similar careers. And I don't see how that could happen. In Holmes first 6 years he had almost the exact same yds that Davis had in his 6 years. And I don't think that Johnson or Holmes should be in. The Hall is getting watered down.
Johnson had two very good years, and then basically nothing after that. That won't get him into the hall. The argument against Holmes will be that he was a scheme player.

For the record, I wouldn't mind seeing Holmes in there. He got a late start to his career but was about as complete of a back as you could want. He proved himself to be elite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 01:50 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,608,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
There's too much politics involved in the HOF voting. TO is going to have to years because the media hates him
TO was extremely difficult to cover and was a headache for defenses, and his performance in the Super Bowl was memorable. But he was an awful teammate.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:31 PM

16,523 posts, read 20,969,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post

For the record, I wouldn't mind seeing Holmes in there. He got a late start to his career but was about as complete of a back as you could want. He proved himself to be elite.
Priest Holmes only claim to fame was getting a Super Bowl ring when he was with Baltimore. I remember Eric Rhett being the featured back in '99. When Jamal Lewis came on the scene, Priest HAD to go somewhere else where he could start. He proved himself when Vermeil got him and went on to have several great seasons with the Chiefs, regarding rushing stats I'm guessing were somewhere in the 1300 to 1500 yard range. He could push that pile, for sure. Plus IIRC he was getting 60 pass receptions (or so) per season during that time frame.

If he would have been able to spend his whole career with KC he could have gotten over 10,000 yards for his career. I'm w/ Bosco55David, he was elite!

If nothing else, he could be in that "what if" club. There are certainly several players who are in that category.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-04-2015 at 06:36 PM..

Old 02-04-2015, 08:40 PM

9,582 posts, read 4,594,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
you are leaving out 2 SB rings, a SB MVP and an NFL MVP.Johnson and Holmes don't have those accolades
Denver proved that almost anyone could get 1000 yds behind their o line. I think the line is a better reason that they made the Super Bowl than Davis.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:40 AM

2,800 posts, read 1,768,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Bill Cowher deserves to be in the Hall - I don't know where that argument came from. I'm just saying that Dungy deserves to be in the Hall, not that Cowher doesn't deserve to be in the Hall. Both extremely good coaches who built foundations upon which teams established consistent excellence. I wouldn't put either of them in the category of Bill Walsh, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll, or Bill Belichick, but they're probably just a little short of Bill Parcells or Joe Gibbs.
I do not see what Cowher did to be in the Hall. Are we gonna now induct every coach who wins at least 1 Championship and coaches for a while? Why Cowher and not

Mike McCarthy
Sean Payton
Tom Coughlin
Mike Holmgren
Pete Carroll

It took Cowher 14 years to win a Championship he was lucky the Steelers were so patient with him.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:41 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I do not see what Cowher did to be in the Hall. Are we gonna now induct every coach who wins at least 1 Championship and coaches for a while? Why Cowher and not

Mike McCarthy
Sean Payton
Tom Coughlin
Mike Holmgren
Pete Carroll

It took Cowher 14 years to win a Championship he was lucky the Steelers were so patient with him.
Mike Holmgren is getting in.. the rest need to retire first.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:55 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Denver proved that almost anyone could get 1000 yds behind their o line. I think the line is a better reason that they made the Super Bowl than Davis.
Maybe anyone could get a 1000 behind them, but Davis was going for 2000 and 1800+. And he always had huge numbers in the playoffs too.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:21 PM

535 posts, read 471,350 times
Nothing against Bettis, but no way he should have gotten in over Marvin Harrison. Harrision is one of the all-time great WRs and just got shafted for the 2nd year, likely because of unproven off-field allegations(which are not supposed to be part of the consideration). Bettis was great, but never dominant like Harrison was. He had what, 143 catches one year? That's just sick, put him in the Hall already.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:41 AM

214 posts, read 152,752 times
I'm a Rams fan so I'm biased, but I don't understand how Orlando Pace didn't get in. He was an elite tackle for nearly a decade. I'm torn on Kurt Warner, he had such a strange career.

Bettis shouldn't be in the HOF. Guy didn't even average above 4.0 YPC for his career. I'd be willing to argue that Fred Taylor, Edgerrin James, Corey Dillon, Frank Gore and Steven Jackson all had better careers. Like I've always said, it helps to have friends in the media.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:29 PM

328 posts, read 328,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
And those people are:

Junior Seau
Will Shields
Tim Brown
Jerome Bettis
Charles Haley

From the veterans committee-Mick Tingelhoff

And from administration--- Bill Polian and Ron Wolf

Not making it this year>>>>>Kurt Warner, Orlando Pace, Marvin Harrison, Kevin Greene, Terrel Davis, John Lynch, and Tony Dungy.

Finally see Tim Brown get in.

Haley is questionable for me other then the only player with 5 rings.

Warner does not deserve to be in the HOF with so many far better older QBs not in.

Pace, Lynch and Harrison should be locks.

Greene, nope.

Davis, nope. 4 good seasons is not enough to be put among the best ever. Injury did it him but that is the way it goes.

Glad to see Seau get in as well. Sad ending for a super player.

Tinglehoff should have been in 20 years ago.

They are making a joke of this. ELITE means ELITE, no criteria for some players like Warner, Davis and Greene would have me vote for any of these guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or