U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2015, 10:04 AM

1,069 posts, read 555,435 times

Advertisements

People are saying that pass was perfectly thrown….it absolutely was not….Wilson led Lockette on that pass, basically out in front of the receivers right shoulder. That allowed Butler to jump the route. that pass has to be essentially thrown on the left shoulder so the route cannot be jumped
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 10:04 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,276,802 times
A few more observations:

*An interesting aspect of the Patriots current 14-year run is just that - its length under one coach and one quarterback. No previous coach had ever won a Super Bowl 13 years after winning his first (the previous record was Joe Gibbs winning his last 9 years after winning his first) and no quarterback had ever won a Super Bowl 13 years after winning his first (the previous record was Joe Montana winning his last 8 years after his first).

Essentially, most coaches/quarterbacks who win multiple titles do it with the same core group of players. The 49ers won a Super Bowl 13 years after their first, but from the head coach down to the players, no one on the first team was around for the last title. And Gibbs was impressive in winning three Super Bowls with different quarterbacks (all of them less than average by Super Bowl standards) over ten seasons. But the longevity of the Belichick-Brady championship tandem is something new, at least in the Super Bowl era. The continuity is only the head coach and one player, and it extends over an unusually long period of time.

*The more disciplined team won this game: the team that took fewer penalties (especially dumb ones), the team that figured out how to work a great defense by negating its rush and throwing short, and the team that didn't make an inexplicable play call.

*The better defense did not win the game. But guess what? The DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS! believers will continue to cite last year's Super Bowl as a data point of evidence that their assertion is true even while they ignore the data point that was this year's game. In reality, history shows that some championship teams ride great defenses to their titles while others use great offenses - and when a great defense collides with a great offense, neither over the long term has an advantage.

*They "Did NE win or did SEA lose?" question misses the point that almost all wins are one team winning by executing and taking advantage of the other team's mistakes - so virtually any game can be broken down into winning plays by one team and losing plays by the other team.

*Q: What was Belichick thinking, not calling a time-out after Lynch's run down to the 1? Either it was an error (which I doubt, because Belichick executes on the fundamentals), or Belichick decided that the odds of getting the ball back with 20 seconds left and being able to score - and probably just tie it, because if they did score it would mostly be a field goal - were long enough (and even those long odds would likely have only resulted in a 50-50 chance to win in OT) that it was better to deny the Seahawks the three minutes to go over their play in the sidelines before running it by calling a time out.

Also, had Belichick called the time out then the Seahawks would have been assured of three normal chances to score. Instead, had they been stopped on second down, the Seahawks would have called a time-out about 20 seconds left in the game. This would have allowed them a third-down play, and then - had they not scored - a very rushed final play. That's my take on why he didn't call a time-out late.

*The Seahawks begin as the favorites to win the 2016 Super Bowl, followed closely by the Patriots.
Quote:
The Westgate SuperBook and the William Hill sports book installed the Seahawks as 5-1 favorites to win Super Bowl 50 heading into the offseason. Super Bowl 50 will take place Feb. 7, 2016, at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California.

The Patriots, who rallied from behind to beat the Seahawks 28-24 in Super Bowl XLIX on Sunday, are next at 6-1, followed by the Green Bay Packers (7-1) and Denver Broncos (8-1).

Other notable teams: Indianapolis Colts 12-1; Dallas Cowboys 14-1; Philadelphia Eagles 20-1, and Pittsburgh Steelers 20-1.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:16 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,511,083 times
So... any big-name players on either team that are either going to eat a big chunk of money or go sign a contract somewhere else? I know there's Wilson and Lynch in Seattle.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:18 AM

8,260 posts, read 9,558,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
at 24-14 in 4th Qtr, that game should have been over….Brady marched the field twice to score TD's….that is where the game was won
The game wasn't over they still had time on the clock.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:23 AM

6,450 posts, read 3,457,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

*The Seahawks begin as the favorites to win the 2016 Super Bowl, followed closely by the Patriots.
WAY too early for any assumptions on next season, especially in the Seahawks case. At this point, now that for the first time since Wilson came along, they are facing this huge salary cap issue and to most accounts they will look much different next year. I know all teams will look different, but Seattle runs the risk of changing the most.

I would, at this point 1 days after the Super Bowl, put the Patriots as favorites and Seattle second.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:29 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,223,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
WAY too early for any assumptions on next season, especially in the Seahawks case. At this point, now that for the first time since Wilson came along, they are facing this huge salary cap issue and to most accounts they will look much different next year. I know all teams will look different, but Seattle runs the risk of changing the most.

I would, at this point 1 days after the Super Bowl, put the Patriots as favorites and Seattle second.
Also note, the Seahawks are losing their defensive coordinator. that could have a big impact..

Old 02-02-2015, 10:53 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,368,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
So... any big-name players on either team that are either going to eat a big chunk of money or go sign a contract somewhere else? I know there's Wilson and Lynch in Seattle.
Darelle Revis... I think the Patriots have a one-year option at $20 million that they can lock him into and if not then he'll become a free agent.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:56 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,306,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The best thing about the outcome is not having to listen to Sherman and his mouth afterwards. Thanks Brady.

Regarding the game - the interception at the end takes the spotlight off of what Brady and the Pats' offense did against the Seahawks defense in the 4thQ.

Also - the interception was more about Butler reading the play properly - otherwise, it's a touchdown. Should they have ran Lynch - probably - but I won't fault Carroll for the play call.

Butler now on ESPN2 Mike and Mike show - said defense was more oriented towards defending the pass on that play... Butler wondered why that formation was called since they should be running the ball... they practiced that play beforehand during the week and he got beat and learned from that.
I was very surprised that he was boasting over a 24-14 lead in the 4th qtr because the last time I checked a 10 pt lead with over 10 mins to go is not that huge. lol

Old 02-02-2015, 10:59 AM

1,069 posts, read 555,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I was very surprised that he was boasting over a 24-14 lead in the 4th qtr because the last time I checked a 10 pt lead with over 10 mins to go is not that huge. lol
against an "all time great defense" it should be

Old 02-02-2015, 11:00 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,306,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Now that the alcohol has worn off...

I have to say congrats to Tom Brady and Bill Belichik. They are clearly the best coach-QB tandem in NFL history. If we're going to try and have the conversation and if we have to decide on *the* best QB of the Super Bowl era, I think it probably begins with #12. I grew up a huge Joe Montana fan and as a Cowboys fan remained forever grateful that George Seifert decided not to start him in the 1992 NFC Championship Game - he has for many years been regarded by me as the best QB I've ever seen, with Elway maybe being a close 2nd. But now, I have to say, Brady has probably surpassed them both in my mind.

We can talk all we want about the changes of the game that favor the QB - all of that might be true. But the QBs of the 1980s had some advantages that Brady hasn't enjoyed. Montana played in a largely non-free agent era, with dominant defenses and offensive lines that remained in tact for several seasons at a time. There was much less parity in terms of talent and in terms of coaching. Free agency has curbed the edge that teams can have in talent and technology and sophisticated metrics have become so widespread that coaching and scheming is a lot more even now as well. The athleticism and speed of individual defenders is also a greater challenge for the modern QB. It's so tough to throw the deep route against elite defenses now. And linebackers and safeties are doing a pretty good job of taking away short plays as well. That's not to say that the game wasn't complex back when Montana or Elway were playing, but I think it's more complex now.

The bigger point that needs to be taken into consideration though is that Brady has almost always kept his teams competitive. Never mind that he has four rings -- two miraculous passing plays are the only thing that separate him from six. And let's not forget he's had multiple trips to the AFC title game in addition to the Super Bowls.

People will naturally be drawn to Brady's record in big games, and that's certainly impressive. But to me, what's more impressive is how he has responded to big defeats. How does this guy get to the end of the season, after 17 or 18 weeks of brutal punishment and after weeks of a soaking hot training camp and motivate himself to keep going after being vanquished? He reminds me of Mariano Rivera, the great closer of the NY Yankees, who also blew games on the big stage. Somehow, Brady (like Rivera) found ways to put those aside mentally as momentary disruptions, impediments to inevitable and ultimate success. His desire to compete is relentless. It's Brady's ability to come back from collapses that has impressed me the most, just as much as his late game heroics under pressure.

Brady is a great QB with 4 rings and 3 SB MVP's but I still can't put him on the level of Joe Montana because of the facts below

1. Joe never threw a Int in any of the SB's he played in

2. Joe threw 11 TD passes in 4 SB's instead of 6

3. Joe is undefeated in all the SB games he played in

So that's why I can't compare him with Joe right now but I will say that Brady is the JOE of this era just not on the level of Joe when discussing the best of all time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or