U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-02-2015, 11:03 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,394,120 times
Reputation: 9451

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
at 24-14 in 4th Qtr, that game should have been over….Brady marched the field twice to score TD's….that is where the game was won
You do know that a 10 pt lead in the NFL is nothing right? A team that is down 10 pts can either kick a FG or score a TD to reduce the lead to 3 or 7 pts. Then if they get the ball back they can tie the game or take the lead so I am not sure I understand what you mean when you said the game was over at 24-14.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2015, 11:06 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,394,120 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
against an "all time great defense" it should be
True because I was telling my brother that I'm not sure if the Pats can win because the Seahawks have a great defense and it's going to be tough. But the Pats somehow managed to comeback and take the lead to shock us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 11:19 AM
 
6,470 posts, read 3,472,918 times
Reputation: 10272
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Brady is a great QB with 4 rings and 3 SB MVP's but I still can't put him on the level of Joe Montana because of the facts below

1. Joe never threw a Int in any of the SB's he played in

2. Joe threw 11 TD passes in 4 SB's instead of 6

3. Joe is undefeated in all the SB games he played in

So that's why I can't compare him with Joe right now but I will say that Brady is the JOE of this era just not on the level of Joe when discussing the best of all time.
All valid arguments. But to say he is not on the same level I cannot agree with.

The mere fact that he's been to two more Super Bowls than Montana says a lot, and the fact that in the two losses, they had the lead almost at the end. No blow outs like last years Denver Super Bowl. I don't give as much stock to the 2 losses as I do to the 6 appearances. And with your argument, then Terry Bradshaw is Montana's equal.

Brady never had a Rice and Clark to throw at for many years - much continuity. Gronk has been injured quite a bit. Had Moss for only one year later in his career. Brady has had mid-level smaller receivers for his entire career. Playing in a salary cap era that pushes for parity, it makes Brady's accomplishments more striking. And I know the counter-point to that is the defenses in Montana's era were better, as was the fact the QB was open target to the defenses.

I have repeatedly stated there is probably no such thing as a greatest ever due to variables of playing in different eras with different rules, coaches, and supporting cast. But IMHO this victory puts Brady at the top of the small heap of those considered the greatest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 11:20 AM
 
1,069 posts, read 556,862 times
Reputation: 1456
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
You do know that a 10 pt lead in the NFL is nothing right? A team that is down 10 pts can either kick a FG or score a TD to reduce the lead to 3 or 7 pts. Then if they get the ball back they can tie the game or take the lead so I am not sure I understand what you mean when you said the game was over at 24-14.
i get with time on the clock the game is never actually over….my point is, all i heard all week from Seahawk fans is that the Pats would be lucky to put up 17 its….please tell me how many times a Steel Curtain defense, 85 Bear defense, 2001 Raven defense gave up a 10 pt lead in the 4th Qtr….if the Seahawks were truly an all-time great defense, that game should have been over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 11:23 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,394,120 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
i get with time on the clock the game is never actually over….my point is, all i heard all week from Seahawk fans is that the Pats would be lucky to put up 17 its….please tell me how many times a Steel Curtain defense, 85 Bear defense, 2001 Raven defense gave up a 10 pt lead in the 4th Qtr….if the Seahawks were truly an all-time great defense, that game should have been over
You maybe right the fact that they gave up that lead means that they can't be compared to the 2000 Ravens. If the 200 Ravens had a 24-14 lead in the 4th you were not coming back at all because they would have been even more aggressive after being up by 10 pts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 11:26 AM
 
20,924 posts, read 39,244,738 times
Reputation: 19227
I'm sure it's been commented to death, but that pass play from the 1-yard line is one I'll never forget. I was rooting for the Patriots and was cringing in fear that Lynch or Wilson would charge through from the 1-yard line like Alan Ameche did against the NY Giants in 1958.....wow, what a finish to the game, and then the encroachment by Bennett, who had a good dozen encroachment penalties during the season.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 11:31 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,394,120 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
All valid arguments. But to say he is not on the same level I cannot agree with.

The mere fact that he's been to two more Super Bowls than Montana says a lot, and the fact that in the two losses, they had the lead almost at the end. No blow outs like last years Denver Super Bowl. I don't give as much stock to the 2 losses as I do to the 6 appearances. And with your argument, then Terry Bradshaw is Montana's equal.

Brady never had a Rice and Clark to throw at for many years - much continuity. Gronk has been injured quite a bit. Had Moss for only one year later in his career. Brady has had mid-level smaller receivers for his entire career. Playing in a salary cap era that pushes for parity, it makes Brady's accomplishments more striking. And I know the counter-point to that is the defenses in Montana's era were better, as was the fact the QB was open target to the defenses.

I have repeatedly stated there is probably no such thing as a greatest ever due to variables of playing in different eras with different rules, coaches, and supporting cast. But IMHO this victory puts Brady at the top of the small heap of those considered the greatest.
I mean to not throw a INT in 4 superbowl games is just very impressive along with a 4-0 record. That's why I feel Brady would need atleast another SB win to be on the same level as Joe because of his flawless record in the big game.

BTW: I believe Tom Brady should be in a Papa's Commercial with Montana for now on not Petyon Manning lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 11:31 AM
 
1,069 posts, read 556,862 times
Reputation: 1456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I'm sure it's been commented to death, but that pass play from the 1-yard line is one I'll never forget. I was rooting for the Patriots and was cringing in fear that Lynch or Wilson would charge through from the 1-yard line like Alan Ameche did against the NY Giants in 1958.....wow, what a finish to the game, and then the encroachment by Bennett, who had a good dozen encroachment penalties during the season.
being fair, when Seattle broke the huddle, i said to myself "no way can they run the ball", the Pats were basically in full goal line with 3 CB's. Hindsight being 20/20, maybe you roll Wilson out with a run pass option
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 11:33 AM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 10,545,092 times
Reputation: 6606
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
The game wasn't over they still had time on the clock.
He is saying that in defense to the people saying that the Seahawks threw away the game. Brady marched down the field twice in the 4th quarter and that's why the Patriots won the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 11:37 AM
 
20,924 posts, read 39,244,738 times
Reputation: 19227
The WaPo has an article about how it's quite possible that by not using a timeout, N.E. forced Seattle to go with a pass play to conserve clock time.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top