U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2015, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa?
6,429 posts, read 4,189,383 times
Reputation: 5727

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Of course it's not over. I've been tired since the beginning because the whole issue to date has been based on nothing but leaks. I don't care if the leaks are for or against the Patriots - it's media fed rubbish at this point, just proving the point to me that the media has created the magnitude of this without any real substantiation.

I just want the truth, knowing that the Wells report would be the first official statement released on all of this.

And if the report comes out showing nothing against the Patriots, then I think Chris Mortenson should be fired.
There is a good possibility that the media is forcing the NFL to address the issue. How many time have you seen controversial calls by the refs and you never hear anything from the NFL? They tend to sweep controversy under the rug whenever possible.

Chris Mortenson? You would shoot the messenger? I don't think he concocted the story. He chose whether or not to report it is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2015, 12:52 PM
 
Location: 112 Ocean Avenue
5,706 posts, read 8,135,190 times
Reputation: 8886
Seattle now has the entire off season (like the Packers they defeated two weeks ago in the last few minutes) wondering just what to hell happened.

Green Bay's loss hurt, but Seattle's loss is going to hurt more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 01:04 PM
 
6,469 posts, read 3,467,398 times
Reputation: 10265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
There is a good possibility that the media is forcing the NFL to address the issue. How many time have you seen controversial calls by the refs and you never hear anything from the NFL? They tend to sweep controversy under the rug whenever possible.

Chris Mortenson? You would shoot the messenger? I don't think he concocted the story. He chose whether or not to report it is all.
Actually, according to Mortenson, he wasn't the first to leak the story, but was the most prominent member of the media to do so. And all I am alluding to is if you go out on a limb to toss out a story, you better make sure you have the right sources to back your story.

IF (still saying that), the Wells report does come out with no wrong doing by the Patriots, then messenger or not, Chris failed miserably and started an unnecessary sh*tstorm.

I suppose the media could be forcing the NFL's hand, but I don't believe so. The media want s a story with meat. The Patriots were already set up to be a great target, so why would you hold it back. I'm not even sure if it was the Colts who were called out that this wouldn't have just been a small article in the middle of the sports section somewhere.

Let's assume every leak to date has some truth to it. At this point then, the Patriots look not guilty and in fact you could point the finger at sabotage. The last leak I read was that only 1 ball was 2 PSI under (the magical ball the Colts turned it) and the rest of the balls were a tick under. So who says that ball wasn't tampered with. Again, all hearsay, but just another leak like the rest. Between that, the Colts receiver saying he never said anything about the ball when the original story said he did, to a guy taking a pee instead of deflating balls, to the refs not checking the balls - who the hell knows what to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 01:07 PM
 
6,469 posts, read 3,467,398 times
Reputation: 10265
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Seattle now has the entire off season (like the Packers they defeated two weeks ago in the last few minutes) wondering just what to hell happened.

Green Bay's loss hurt, but Seattle's loss is going to hurt more.
Especially since they will probably barely resemble the team they are right now once they figure on how to deal with Wilson and the salary cap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,577 posts, read 7,288,390 times
Reputation: 37479
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Brady is a great QB with 4 rings and 3 SB MVP's but I still can't put him on the level of Joe Montana because of the facts below

1. Joe never threw a Int in any of the SB's he played in

2. Joe threw 11 TD passes in 4 SB's instead of 6

3. Joe is undefeated in all the SB games he played in

So that's why I can't compare him with Joe right now but I will say that Brady is the JOE of this era just not on the level of Joe when discussing the best of all time.
I swear, I keep seeing this astonishingly laughable idea presented - that because Joe Montana went to fewer Super Bowls, he's better than Tom Brady.

Both players failed to win Super Bowls in the majority of their professional seasons - even when they were the best team in the league.

In 1987, San Francisco had the best record in the NFL. Then they went one-and-done, bounced by the #5-seed Vikings in a game where Montana played so poorly that he was yanked in the 3rd quarter with the 49ers down 27-10 and replaced with Steve Young.

In 2007, New England had the best record in the NFL. They won their Divisional Round game easily. In the AFC Championship, they dispatched the 14-2 Chargers when Brady led a game-tying touchdown drive (ending when he threw a TD pass) and then a game-winning drive ending in a field goal. Then came the Super Bowl loss, where Brady played mediocre - though he threw no interceptions, and he certainly played better than Montana in the season where the #1 49ers were bounced by a wild-card team.

And by your logic, playing badly and getting yanked in loss to a wild-card team is more impressive than soundly beating a wild-card & then leading a comeback against a 14-2 team ang going to the Super Bowl?

Do you have any idea how nonsensical that is?

That's the kind of logic that says Eli is better than Peyton - hey, he's 2-0 versus 1-2! Or that Dilfer is better than Marino, or that Jim Plunkett and Mark Rypien and Brad Johnson (among others) are all better than Kurt Warner because they were undefeated in Super Bowls.

That's the kind of logic which holds that Jim Kelly was the worst quarterback in the NFL from 1990 to 1993 because he lost four Super Bowls and, hey, every other quarterback either won their Super Bowl starts, or craftily failed to even make it that far.

Personally, I think a case can be made for either Montana or Brady, and I don't think either is clearly greater than the other - but the notion that one player is better because he failed to get to as many Super Bowls as another player who got there, and then lost, is absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
You do know that a 10 pt lead in the NFL is nothing right? A team that is down 10 pts can either kick a FG or score a TD to reduce the lead to 3 or 7 pts. Then if they get the ball back they can tie the game or take the lead so I am not sure I understand what you mean when you said the game was over at 24-14.
You do know that when an NFL team has a 10-point lead in the fourth quarter, that team wins the vast majority of those games, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 02:02 PM
 
2,286 posts, read 1,513,671 times
Reputation: 1143
It was the 2006 Pats that beat the 14-2 Chargers. 2007 Chargers were 11-5.

There's also something to be said for playing your best on the biggest stage. For example, Joe Flacco was terrible against the Colts in 2009 when Baltimore went 9-7 and had no real shot at the Super Bowl. But he was terrific in 2012, including the Super Bowl, when his team had a real shot. I think most people would agree he's a great postseason QB, in spite of that terrible game in Indy. That wouldn't be the case if he had lost to SF, or even if he had won but played poorly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 03:28 PM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
17,619 posts, read 19,061,699 times
Reputation: 18963
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Why does everyone say this? I think all pop music is terrible so pretty much any SB halftime show sucks for me. But this one was far more family-appropriate, shall we say, than Beyonce's show a couple years ago. With the show last year, there was a big thing about how everything was pre-recorded and the musicians were faking it all on-stage.

Perry seems like a total d-bag though. I saw an interview with her pre-game. The interviewer mentioned that she's friends with Russell Wilson, and she confirmed this. When asked what she thought of him, she did say he's a nice guy or a hard worker or whatever. But she could have easily just said he's a great player or has had tremendous success or something like that. Instead, she said "I haven't really followed his career so closely." Total disrespect.
Katy Perry wishes that she had Beyoncé's stage presence. Katy gets praise from a certain segment of the population for her bland mediocrity.

But the follow performance was the best Super Bowl half time in recent memory.......



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2i0Bc3f7jk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 03:37 PM
 
614 posts, read 1,048,922 times
Reputation: 706
Best article I've read about the play.

Questions Surround Seahawks Coach After Super Bowl-Losing Play Call - TIME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 03:51 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,361,358 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I swear, I keep seeing this astonishingly laughable idea presented - that because Joe Montana went to fewer Super Bowls, he's better than Tom Brady.

Both players failed to win Super Bowls in the majority of their professional seasons - even when they were the best team in the league.

In 1987, San Francisco had the best record in the NFL. Then they went one-and-done, bounced by the #5-seed Vikings in a game where Montana played so poorly that he was yanked in the 3rd quarter with the 49ers down 27-10 and replaced with Steve Young.

In 2007, New England had the best record in the NFL. They won their Divisional Round game easily. In the AFC Championship, they dispatched the 14-2 Chargers when Brady led a game-tying touchdown drive (ending when he threw a TD pass) and then a game-winning drive ending in a field goal. Then came the Super Bowl loss, where Brady played mediocre - though he threw no interceptions, and he certainly played better than Montana in the season where the #1 49ers were bounced by a wild-card team.

And by your logic, playing badly and getting yanked in loss to a wild-card team is more impressive than soundly beating a wild-card & then leading a comeback against a 14-2 team ang going to the Super Bowl?

Do you have any idea how nonsensical that is?

That's the kind of logic that says Eli is better than Peyton - hey, he's 2-0 versus 1-2! Or that Dilfer is better than Marino, or that Jim Plunkett and Mark Rypien and Brad Johnson (among others) are all better than Kurt Warner because they were undefeated in Super Bowls.

That's the kind of logic which holds that Jim Kelly was the worst quarterback in the NFL from 1990 to 1993 because he lost four Super Bowls and, hey, every other quarterback either won their Super Bowl starts, or craftily failed to even make it that far.

Personally, I think a case can be made for either Montana or Brady, and I don't think either is clearly greater than the other - but the notion that one player is better because he failed to get to as many Super Bowls as another player who got there, and then lost, is absurd.



You do know that when an NFL team has a 10-point lead in the fourth quarter, that team wins the vast majority of those games, right?


How bout a 10 pt lead with 10 mins or more left in the game? See double digit leads in the NFL can be very misleading because the team that is down can cut the lead a lot of quicker because of the ability to score in bunches. Teams who are down ten can kick two FG's or one TD and a 2 pt conversion to cut the lead to 2 or 4 pts. So leading by 10 in a NFL game with almost a quarter left does not mean the game is over and done with. And I am surprised Richard Sherman was so excited knowing that a 10 pt lead is not big of a lead especially when you are dealing with Tom Brady.

BTW: Seattle lead 24-14 in the 3rd qtr so it was way too much time left for any seahawks fan to think the game was over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 04:22 PM
 
2,286 posts, read 1,513,671 times
Reputation: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Katy Perry wishes that she had Beyoncé's stage presence. Katy gets praise from a certain segment of the population for her bland mediocrity.

But the follow performance was the best Super Bowl half time in recent memory.......



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2i0Bc3f7jk
It's pop music. It's all terrible. They have tons of fans, and it's not because of the music.

That was the best? really? With the fake rocking out on stage? Boring bands anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top