Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 01:02 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times

Advertisements

The founder of NFL Films has passed at 98.

I always loved the NFL Films blocks on the ESPN channels. Absolutely fantastic.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...223014484.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 06:08 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
As a Gen X'r, I am very blessed to experience the greatness of what Ed (and Steve) Sabol brought to the NFL. His films (w the voice of John Facenda) sp? Were waaay ahead of their time bringing the sights and sounds of the game to the average fan like me.

I still get chills when I hear the music and Lombardi talk about "we are trying to create a seam here! And a seam here!"...also the comment by Lombardi about "everyone is grabbing! No one is tackling!"" Grab! Grab! Grab!"...

If you don't know what I'm talking about, you need to google some of the legendary Ed Sabol.

Last edited by CouponJack; 02-10-2015 at 06:55 AM..

Old 02-10-2015, 07:17 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
One of my favorite Lombardi moments! When the 2 part Lombardi film is on NFL Network, I always watch it!

The music they put with the film clips is awesome, NFL films is first rate and he really pioneered it.

Rest in peace.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:47 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post

The music they put with the film clips is awesome, NFL films is first rate and he really pioneered it.
Ed Sabol and his son Steve had a lot to do with the success of the NFL. I've said this several times about how Vince Lombardi, Johnny Unitas, and Jim Brown were primarily responsible for turning America from a baseball watching nation to a football watching nation. You can put the Sabol's in that group through their efforts, their vision, and knowing how to promote the league. There was never a second thought for the NFL to have anybody else do the work, it basically was awarded to the Sabol's by perpetuity.

After all the years of their classy work they never ran out of ideas, they always had something new to bring, such as the "America's Game" series which they created several years ago. Another is NFL's "A Football Life" series, created just a couple years ago. There is absolutely nothing done by NFL Films that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed.

RIP, Mr. Sabol.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:01 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
NFL Films is sheer genius.
As a cowboy fan, I thank them!!!
In a stroke of brilliance they labeled the Cowboys as 'America's Team' way back in '78 I think.. most fans today think the Cowboys branded them selves and although they publicly shy away from the moniker, you know Jerry LOVES it and do Cowboy fans!!! Most fans try to mock the Cowboys 'America's team label, but its OURS and we wear it proudly!.. thanks ED and Steve!!!!

RIP - Ed Sabol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football