U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 06:25 AM

8,340 posts, read 14,099,174 times

Advertisements

I would be very surprised if they opened against anyone other than the Steelers or Eagles. Maybe if someone else on the schedule makes a major splash in the off-season that could change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 06:46 AM

6,450 posts, read 3,456,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I would be very surprised if they opened against anyone other than the Steelers or Eagles. Maybe if someone else on the schedule makes a major splash in the off-season that could change.
You don't think the intrigue of Rex Ryan is enough to make the Patriots / Bills a compelling game?

It's all a guessing game, but I would think it would be better to hold off potentially bigger games between contenders (assuming here that the Cowboys and Eagles are deemed to have a better post season chance then the Bills at this time) so that you might get two undefeated teams at 4 or 5-0. Why not start with a story-line game, because it would be huge if in game 1 the Bills knock off the defending Super Bowl champs and AFC rivals (Ryan and the Bills).

Old 02-05-2015, 06:52 AM

8,340 posts, read 14,099,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
You don't think the intrigue of Rex Ryan is enough to make the Patriots / Bills a compelling game?

It's all a guessing game, but I would think it would be better to hold off potentially bigger games between contenders (assuming here that the Cowboys and Eagles are deemed to have a better post season chance then the Bills at this time) so that you might get two undefeated teams at 4 or 5-0. Why not start with a story-line game, because it would be huge if in game 1 the Bills knock off the defending Super Bowl champs and AFC rivals (Ryan and the Bills).
For starters, the Cowboy game is in Dallas. So that's a no.

Do I think Rex Ryan is intriguing enough nationally? Not with the roster he has now. Remember, the NFL has trended toward blockbuster openers for the champ to open with. Seattle opened with Green Bay. Baltimore opened with Denver. Green Bay opened with the Saints. The Bills, with Rex Ryan, do not come close to fitting in with those openers. I'm not saying it couldn't happen; but I would be surprised unless they made a splash this off-season. Same with Miami.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:31 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,546,947 times
I'm with Toxic on this because has the opening game ever been a division rival? Usually division games are a little later in the season not right out of the gate. Of course, I'm not checking any previous schedules so I could be wrong!

Old 02-05-2015, 07:43 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,957 times
I know they did Redskins vs. Giants at least one year after one of the Giants Super Bowl victories. With the exception of I think Colts vs. Saints after the Colts Super Bowl season, they have all tended to be in-conference opponents. That would really narrow it down to either Steelers or Bills if you figure they keep it that way.

To me it would make sense to save the Steeler game for later in the year because you know you will get big ratings opening night either way.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:07 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,510,747 times
I think it's usually against a team that has some sort of recent history with the SB winners, maybe even somewhat of a revenge factor. Seahawks were gifted that fail mary win vs. GB, Ravens knocked Denver out of the playoffs, Saints beat the Vikings on their way to the SB, etc. The Patriots haven't played Philly or Pitt in a while as far as I can recall.

If they want the best matchup for opening night, it will be the Eagles (Steelers are better than the Eagles long-term I think, but the Eagles tend to collapse late in the year, whereas the Steelers struggle early). If they want the highest ratings, probably the Steelers.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:11 AM

Also, I assume the answer to this is yes, but will Nick Foles be ready to start the season? If not, and it looks like they'll have to go with Sanchez, or whoever their backup will be, I'm sure the NFL will put the Steelers on.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:33 AM

3,722 posts, read 3,879,507 times
It will be Pittsburgh. New England has opened before against Pittsburgh after winning the Super Bowl.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:44 PM

6,541 posts, read 4,490,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I'm thinking Steelers first or Eagles second. I'd love to see Bills vs Patriots, but they always go with the popular teams.

Cowboys, Colts & Broncos are on the road according to this. I'd also love to see Patriots vs Cowboys.

2015 New England Patriots Football Schedule
That's a pretty crappy home schedule they have for next year. When the 3rd best choice to put on the list is Buffalo.............yah it's bad! Too bad they play Indy, Denver, Giants & Cowboys on the road because all 4 would be better choices than the Steelers who likely get the nod.
Looking at it again even Houston is probably better than Pittsburgh. Geez, that's awful!

Old 02-05-2015, 09:48 PM

Only Denver and Dallas would be (arguably) better choices than Pitt. Pitt is a good team, certainly better than Houston, NYG, and Indy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or