U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 09:23 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You're first comment was quoted and readable by everyone, you and I included.
I know and I changed after looking at their week 1 history vs AFC teams on the road since 2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 09:52 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Since the Eagles became alive again in 2000, the only good AFC team they played on the road in week 1 was the Titans 12 years ago. So it's not something you see too often when the Eagles play their first game of the season.
has nothing to do with fall 2015, though. If it's ratings, it's either eagles, bills, or steelers.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:54 PM

6,544 posts, read 4,493,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
NFL schedulers have quite the challenge every year and I don't think there is any pattern that can pointed to for any team. The only thing I've noticed is some teams get more exposure, prime time games for whatever reason. Packers usually come out on the good end of that but generally players prefer the early games.

I mentioned this before do any teams start with division rivals right off the bat?

The Ravens started with all 3 North opponents right off the bat last year: Bengals & Steelers at home weeks 1 & 2 @ Cleveland in week 3. I know they were the only team in football that had played 3 divisional games the first 3 weeks, but I think there were 1 or 2 others that started with 2 straight divisional games, I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:00 PM

6,544 posts, read 4,493,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
The Ravens started with all 3 North opponents right off the bat last year: Bengals & Steelers at home weeks 1 & 2 @ Cleveland in week 3. I know they were the only team in football that had played 3 divisional games the first 3 weeks, but I think there were 1 or 2 others that started with 2 straight divisional games, I just can't think of them off the top of my head.
Divisional games week 1 last year: Bengals @ Ravens, Panthers @ Bucs, Browns @ Steelers, Saints @ Falcons, Patriots @ Dolphins. Of those 10 teams only the Steelers, Ravens (Steelers & ravens against each other) and the Dolphins (@ Bills) played a second divisional game week 2, and as mentioned of those 3 teams the Ravens were the only team that played a third divisional game in week 3.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:41 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,511,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
The Ravens started with all 3 North opponents right off the bat last year: Bengals & Steelers at home weeks 1 & 2 @ Cleveland in week 3.
lol I went back to 2008 for evidence of that happening for some reason when it happened just a few months ago
totally forgot

Old 02-11-2015, 06:57 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,550,474 times
Thanks! Interesting, and this is what you get when you make assumptions (me)! It stands to reason because with 4 teams in each division, 16 games each team, how could all division games be pushed to the end???

Old 02-12-2015, 05:06 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,154,749 times
The NFL season opener in recent years has been dictated by 1) the Super Bowl champion playing in that game at home (barring schedule conflicts) and 2) making sure the game is a marquee, highly attractive matchup. The Patriots play the following teams at home in 2015:

Buffalo (9-7)
Miami (8-8)
N.Y. Jets (4-12)
Jacksonville (3-13)
Tennessee (2-14)
Pittsburgh (11-5)
Philadelphia (10-6)
Washington (4-12)

None of the matchups are super-appealing IMO; three of the Patriots' 2015 road opponents (Denver - Payton Manning/Tom Brady, Dallas - "America's Team", and the N.Y. Giants - Super Bowls 42 and 46) would be more attractive opening game opponents. Having said that, I doubt the Patriots open on the road. With that being the case, I'd rank the prospective opening game opponents like this:

1) Pittsburgh - the clear favorite, though the Steelers were pounded by New England in 2014

2) Philadelphia - the other, most likely choice, especially with Chip Kelly as the Eagles' coach, though interconference games usually are not as attractive as season openers

3) Buffalo - the Rex Ryan angle and the Bills' solid 2014 season make this matchup a possibility, albeit a fairly slim one IMO

4) Miami - the Dolphins still have a decent number of fans nationally stemming from their long-term, 1970s to early 2000s success, and they did beat the Patriots once last season

5) N.Y. Jets - highly unlikely, but there is a Boston/New York angle

6) Washington - highly unlikely, though the Redskins do play in a larger market

7) Tennessee - pretty much no chance whatsoever

8) Jacksonville - pretty much less than no chance whatsoever

Old 02-12-2015, 10:24 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,511,430 times
Gee, thanks for that analysis. Everyone here already knew that. Just pick 1 game. Btw, NE and Pitt haven't played each other since 2013. NE won big, and the time before that, Pitt won big. It's a good match-up that's hard to predict, though the Steelers' defense is not what it once was without Lebeau and with #43 getting older.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:05 AM

3,451 posts, read 8,154,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Gee, thanks for that analysis. Everyone here already knew that. Just pick 1 game. Btw, NE and Pitt haven't played each other since 2013. NE won big, and the time before that, Pitt won big. It's a good match-up that's hard to predict, though the Steelers' defense is not what it once was without Lebeau and with #43 getting older.
1) If everyone on here already knew what I posted above, there wouldn't already be five pages of comments in this thread. Sometimes people need to see all the options laid out to get a clearer sense of what will happen.

2) Wow, I could have sworn that game where the Patriots hung 55 on Pittsburgh was this past season. I guess time flies even faster as you get older and don't pay attention to either team. The fact the teams didn't play in 2014 makes it even more likely they will play in the 2015 NFL season opener IMO.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:00 AM

6,449 posts, read 3,458,717 times
Based on the importance of past games, Pittsburgh makes the most sense. AFC rivals, have played in important games. If Buffalo or the Jets were more relevant maybe, but even with Buffalo on the rise and the fact they beat the Pats in the last game of the regular season at Gillette last year (regardless of the Pats having #1 seed in their pocket) and with Rex now coach, still isn't compelling enough yet as there really hasn't been competitive history of the Pats and AFC rivals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or