U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 08:11 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,468,576 times

Advertisements

Is it okay to, later in life, "become" a Green Bay Packers fan because you respect that the team is owned by the fans, and you kind of liked them growing up but happened to be born in a state of a divisional rival (Detroit Lions) and ended up going with them instead, even though you didn't really care that much because they were consistently bad?

This is not about being a fair-weather or bandwagon fan by the way. I generally don't like them and try to avoid rooting for the most popular teams in most cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 08:36 PM

2,772 posts, read 2,377,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Is it okay to, later in life, "become" a Green Bay Packers fan
It's never too late to join "The NFL's Best Fans."
The NFL's Best Fans - Forbes

Old 02-10-2015, 08:36 PM

21,368 posts, read 21,936,621 times
it helps to have a tolerance for grain alcohol

Old 02-10-2015, 10:38 PM

32,503 posts, read 26,398,194 times
be a fan of any team you wish. as long as you support them through thick and thin, you wont be considered a bandwagon fan. i personally have been a fan of the cowboys since 1972, and have supported them through 7 super bowls(i was a colts fan for their first super bowl), as well as two back to back 1-15 seasons.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:53 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,021,758 times
You can like for whatever reason you want. There was not long ago a map ; I believe on yahoo; of teams and their wide appeal other than state they play in.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:05 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,468,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
be a fan of any team you wish. as long as you support them through thick and thin, you wont be considered a bandwagon fan. i personally have been a fan of the cowboys since 1972, and have supported them through 7 super bowls(i was a colts fan for their first super bowl), as well as two back to back 1-15 seasons.
This ^^^^^

As rbohm stated it's about longevity and being a fan whether "your team wins or loses/, I've been a Patriots fan since Schaeffer Stadium opened in 1971. At that time I was a bigger Bruins fan, but when Steve Grogan came along I became a true fan. I've seen thew Patriots lose a lot, and have been rewarded these past 14 years.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:13 AM

11,724 posts, read 11,561,574 times
Fandom is a personal thing, just go with it. Bandwagon? I get that from my friends in Illinois sometimes, don't care, since I'm in Wisconsin. I'm "older", not what I consider a die hard fan, and admit it. If a team from the NFC North other than the Packers was successful and in the SB, I would be happy for them. I guess I'm just a Pollyanna sort!

In the 60s, my dad loved Lombardi, hated the Bears but as time went on we watched both teams and enjoyed following them.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:46 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,468,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Fandom is a personal thing, just go with it. Bandwagon? I get that from my friends in Illinois sometimes, don't care, since I'm in Wisconsin. I'm "older", not what I consider a die hard fan, and admit it. If a team from the NFC North other than the Packers was successful and in the SB, I would be happy for them. I guess I'm just a Pollyanna sort!

In the 60s, my dad loved Lombardi, hated the Bears but as time went on we watched both teams and enjoyed following them.
Nothing wrong with having a love for the game (don't they always say that about baseball?).

You're a football fan, just without a true allegiance to any one team. You are a geographical fan.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:49 AM

32,503 posts, read 26,398,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post

no, this just means that you are more a fan of the sport than a particular team. when i was younger i used to be fiercely loyal to one team, and just tolerated the rest as cannon fodder. as i aged though, i found myself liking more teams regardless of who they were, for instance i like the redskins and eagles even though there are fierce division rivals of the cowboys. i also like the steelers and the raiders despite the fact that both teams would like to wipe the other off the map.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:53 AM

5,631 posts, read 4,230,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
The Cowboys never had back to back 1-15 seasons!
much less 2 of them!

A true blue Cowboys fan would know that!
just ribbin ya!

I'm not sure how you can change loyalties, especially within the division.. but hey, do what you want.... but when the Lions miraculously win a Super Bowl in 5 years, don't pretend like you been pulling for them since you were 5...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football