U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 01:13 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,540,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Everyone who has talked with him about the game has pretty much said he's a genius. Dude is a classic drop back passer who can make all the throws.

Also since when is confidence a negative for athletes?
This is true. He's definitely loaded with confidence and he should've be faulted for it.

Although I was surprised he wasn't that fast in the 40, the general consensus seems to be that he impressed at the Combine.

It will be interesting to see how he does at the next level. This is what makes the NFL so interesting year after year IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 01:52 AM

32,452 posts, read 26,317,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Heard a report that he is a better QB hands down than Mariota, but his maturity issues are a real issue.
really? then why didnt he win a second heisman? why wasnt he the one that took home an arm load of awards this season? if winston was so damn good, why did he fall apart in the face of oregons defense?

winston should be the mold for an NFL QB. he is intelligent, and a good arm, is mobile enough to avoid a hearty pass rush, and is durable. his problem however is that his attitude isnt team centered, and if you are going to be successful in the NFL you need to be team centered. you need to be a team leader. remember the rest of the offense takes its que from you the QB. if you dont lift the rest of the team, then you are essentially no good. i would rather have someone like mariota running my offense than someone like winston.

a few years ago i was asked who i would pick for a QB, andrew luck or RGlll. i picked luck because i knew that he was ready to run an NFL offense, and griffen wasnt. luck has been successful griffen hasnt. i see the same thing happening with mariota and winston.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:02 AM

5,364 posts, read 6,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
confidence is one thing, attitude is another thing altogether. winston always seems to make like he is the one that did the great things on his own. mariota on the other hand always credits the others around him for giving him the time to get things done.winston is all about "i am the star" mariota is all about "we the team make things happen together".

But that's not true

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/ne...ccess/4158733/

Jameis Winston credits teammates for Florida State's BCS National Title - Tomahawk Nation

Winston Credits Teammates, Coaching for Success - Florida State Seminoles Official Athletic Site

Also By all accounts his teammates love him and have admired his leadership skills.

Just say I don't like this guy and leave it at that lol

Old 02-23-2015, 08:05 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,414 times
I agree about Luck and RGIII. But when comparing Winston and Mariota, Winston looks like the one who is "NFL ready". I think Winston's character flaws are comparable somewhat to those we hear in reference to Newton. Newton also came in with question marks about his NFL readiness something that Winston does not have as much of. But in terms of Newton's character, I think Newton has shown that it was mostly blown too far out of proportion. Newton may not be Russell Wilson or Luck in terms of character but he's also not Leaf, Jamarcus Russell or Manziel.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:24 PM

5,364 posts, read 6,000,411 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t1hpBfQnmQ4

Old 02-28-2015, 08:29 AM

9,583 posts, read 4,594,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I agree about Luck and RGIII. But when comparing Winston and Mariota, Winston looks like the one who is "NFL ready". I think Winston's character flaws are comparable somewhat to those we hear in reference to Newton. Newton also came in with question marks about his NFL readiness something that Winston does not have as much of. But in terms of Newton's character, I think Newton has shown that it was mostly blown too far out of proportion. Newton may not be Russell Wilson or Luck in terms of character but he's also not Leaf, Jamarcus Russell or Manziel.
He's also not Wilson or Luck when it comes to skill.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:33 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,914,922 times
Winston will be a better version of JaMarcus Russell.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:09 AM

1,129 posts, read 1,074,128 times
Much better than Mariota

Winston can work from the pocket, Mariota can't throw, only run.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:49 PM

32,452 posts, read 26,317,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
Much better than Mariota

Winston can work from the pocket, Mariota can't throw, only run.
oh really? mariota cant throw? seems he did pretty good;

2012 attempts-336 completions-230 yards-2677 passing TDs-32
2013 attempts-386 completions-245 yards-3665 passing TDs-31
2014 attempts-445 completions-304 yards-4454 passing TDs-42

and for those three years he had a grand total of 14 interceptions.

Marcus Mariota Stats - Oregon Ducks - ESPN

for a guy that cant throw he seemed to have done pretty well in the passing game.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:58 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
oh really? mariota cant throw? seems he did pretty good;

2012 attempts-336 completions-230 yards-2677 passing TDs-32
2013 attempts-386 completions-245 yards-3665 passing TDs-31
2014 attempts-445 completions-304 yards-4454 passing TDs-42

and for those three years he had a grand total of 14 interceptions.

Marcus Mariota Stats - Oregon Ducks - ESPN

for a guy that cant throw he seemed to have done pretty well in the passing game.
Manziel put up similar stats in two seasons at A&M.

With that said, Mariota is definitely a better prospect than Manziel. But i do think the criticism of Mariota is fair. He will have to prove that he can make reads and throws from a traditional offense at the next level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or