Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Won The McCoy/Alonso Trade
Bills 11 64.71%
Eagles 6 35.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 07:36 AM

1,129 posts, read 1,346,899 times

Advertisements

The Bills are getting a top 3 back who will likely produce good numbers for the next 3-4 years. He is turning 27 before the NFL Season. With an upgrading O-Line, I think he can manage 5-6 yards per carry. He managed 5.1 yards two seasons ago behind a good O-Line, but his stats dropped because of poor O-Line play. On Thanksgiving, he was a beast because their O-Line played good.

The Eagles are getting Kiko Alonso. Chip Kelly knows him well, but is one injury away from ending his football career. 2 ACL tears. And he is really thag great? He managed 5 interceptions in the first 4 games but didn't get a single one after those 4 games. He was a terrible run stopper, and allowed one of two 75-80 touchdown runs. Also, he played behind the best defensive line in the NFL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 09:52 AM

5,920 posts, read 6,429,212 times
On paper, it looks like no contest. But, it's not a question easily answered until we see how things play out on Sunday. I'm not sure what Coach Kelly is expecting, but he's already gotten rid of Shady, D-Jax, and Trent Cole. These are some of Philadelphia's top guys.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:09 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,182,887 times
What evidence that he will produce "good numbers for the next 4 years"?

Old 03-05-2015, 10:55 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,936,368 times
This is a move for "now" for the Bills. They only win if either A) McCoy helps boost them to the playoffs, or B) Alonso doesn't return to form due to the knee injury.

I suspect long term, Philly will make out since Alonso, if healthy and if he stays so, has a lot more football ahead of him than McCoy.

That said, Buffalo has linebacker depth to afford to trade Alonso, a very good veteran defense, and a sense of urgency to put the best offense on the field now to take advantage of that defense.

Not sure what Kelly is ultimately doing, but it appears to me he is clearing a lot of cap space for something big.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:05 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,777,891 times
I hate to Shady go but this deal was more about cap space then anything

Shady makes like 12 million over the next two years, Alonso makes about 1.5

The Eagles are likely going heavy in free agency and all indicators point to trying to move of up to get Marioda (sp?) in the draft.

It may end up being beneficial to both teams really

Backs are becoming less and less valued but will miss Shady and hate to see him go. at 27 in the NFL you can be getting old at RB. To me Shady did lose a step last year bad O line and all but wow does he have some moves. He will be missed here and wish him the best of Luck in Buffalo

Old 03-05-2015, 06:41 PM

7,216 posts, read 11,902,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I hate to Shady go but this deal was more about cap space then anything

Shady makes like 12 million over the next two years, Alonso makes about 1.5

The Eagles are likely going heavy in free agency and all indicators point to trying to move of up to get Marioda (sp?) in the draft.

It may end up being beneficial to both teams really

Backs are becoming less and less valued but will miss Shady and hate to see him go. at 27 in the NFL you can be getting old at RB. To me Shady did lose a step last year bad O line and all but wow does he have some moves. He will be missed here and wish him the best of Luck in Buffalo
Mariota.

The Eagles better pick up some good pieces in FA or next year will really suck. I will miss Shady a ton. Another jersey bites the dust.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:06 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,346,899 times
The Philadelphia Ducks.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:44 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,592,700 times
I think the trade worked out for both teams. There really is no loser on paper at this point.

For the Bills, RB was probably a top three need going into the off-season behind QB (which is hopeless given the QB market) and guard. They were able to fill it with a very talented back. They also still have Fred Jackson who I imagine will still see a decent work load maybe 5 carries a game? As others have said, the Bills are extremely close with the defense they currently have (a defense that did not have Alonso at all last year too). They figure they need to do all they can on the offense to hopefully put them over the top. No point in going into a season with a terrible QB group AND a lackluster RB core. So they bring in McCoy. How many years does McCoy have left in him? We shall see, but I would like to think he could at least put up two quality seasons. And by year three, hopefully the QB position will be a lot better.

For the Eagles, you have to assume they will be a big player in Free Agency so that should help. As for Alonso, we will see how he pans out. He had 4 ints in 4 games his rookie year and has not recorded an int since those first 4 games of his career. But that hot start instantly made him a Legend in Buffalo. But even if Alonso is just another average starting LB in the NFL for the rest of his career that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing as long as the Eagles can also bring in some free agents.

Ultimately it will come down to which of the two teams make the playoffs over the next two seasons.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:20 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,589,232 times
As surprised as I (and everyone else on planet earth) was over the Shady McCoy trade, I have to believe that Chip Kelly just isn't that incredibly crazy without there being something more to this. Hopefully I'm right, because even Darren Sproles was a bit puzzled over this!

Old 03-09-2015, 10:32 PM

45,361 posts, read 26,955,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
The Eagles better pick up some good pieces in FA or next year will really suck. I will miss Shady a ton. Another jersey bites the dust.
Which is why I never buy jerseys... unless the player shares my last name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football