U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 06:07 AM

5,364 posts, read 5,997,351 times

Advertisements

Quarterback Records When Their Team Allows 21+ Points
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 07:50 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,138,839 times
Interesting Expected Favre to be higher in % as more of a gun-slinger

Also Randall Cunningham surprised me - wonder if the few years with the Vikings took his percentage up - as an Eagle it seemed they won with a great defense and Randall just makeing a few big plays, lower scoring games...

Brady is pretty amazing on this stat at 50% - but i that system or QB or both

Seeing Rodgers higher than Farve - is that more GB defense for their respective times or the QB

the Two highest in Brady and Montana are just win QBs - man I miss watching Montana, while never a niners fan there was just something special about him and really hard to not like and respect him (to me like Jeter in baseball, while not a Yanks fan I cant find a reason to dislike him and totally respect his clutch play)

Also Warner is high but in some ways thought might be higher

Fouts is lower than I would have guesed and am surprised Marino is not on the top 25 list

just some initial thoughts

Old 03-27-2015, 09:14 AM

4,291 posts, read 1,855,533 times
Also thought it was interesting Marino was not in the top 25.

Further proof that Tom Brady is the GOAT.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:08 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,509,333 times
IIRC the Patriots have had many recent years where they build up a big lead (let's say 28-7 or something) at the half then let the team back into the game in the 2nd half to win 38-24. I think comeback records might be a little more telling. Of course, comeback stats can be a little deceptive too if they include coming back from down 3-0 in the first quarter.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:21 AM

6,438 posts, read 3,450,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Interesting Expected Favre to be higher in % as more of a gun-slinger

Also Randall Cunningham surprised me - wonder if the few years with the Vikings took his percentage up - as an Eagle it seemed they won with a great defense and Randall just makeing a few big plays, lower scoring games...

Brady is pretty amazing on this stat at 50% - but i that system or QB or both

Seeing Rodgers higher than Farve - is that more GB defense for their respective times or the QB

the Two highest in Brady and Montana are just win QBs - man I miss watching Montana, while never a niners fan there was just something special about him and really hard to not like and respect him (to me like Jeter in baseball, while not a Yanks fan I cant find a reason to dislike him and totally respect his clutch play)

Also Warner is high but in some ways thought might be higher

Fouts is lower than I would have guesed and am surprised Marino is not on the top 25 list

just some initial thoughts
I always find this comment....system QB...to be such a knock against talent regardless of whom you are speaking of. Every team has a system. What differentiates on field performance is a combination of great coaching and the ability for the player to adjust his play to the overall team approach. Belichick and Brady are arguably one of the best ever at their respective positions. And those who toss out Cassel's 11-5 record the year Brady was hurt to somehow state that it is proof Brady is a system QB is, well, naive.

Whoever is behind center has to execute - read the field and deliver the ball. All Brady needs is for the OL to hold a couple of seconds which is all it takes for Brady to go through his reads. That's the sign of a great QB. And then he puts the ball where it needs to be.

No such thing as a system QB - such a lame term derived by the media.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:44 AM

1,577 posts, read 981,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I always find this comment system QB...to be such a knock against talent regardless of whom you are speaking of. Whoever is behind center has to execute

..system QB - such a lame term derived by the media.
Metal, great assessment brother. The idea that Brady is solely, or even predominately, the benefactor of simply a great system is stupid. Brady stays cool under pressure and succeeds in the most critical times & games, year after year. Which is arguably the most difficult, & most valuable, accomplishment for a QB. In my opinion, there's an internal hardwiring that separates the greatest QBs from the rest.. their ability to operate from a collapsing pocket, rally when their team is down, excel in harsh weather, etc. A 'system' can't instill that, it's inborn, Brady seems to have it.

Also agree w/you, about the system QB slander being mostly a media invention.. which then is parroted by meatheads. The media and meatheads used to run down Bradshaw as well, but the dude was a 3 time Pro Bowler, and collected 4 rings. Understood, Bradshaw had a great D, but if it's easy for 'game managers' to win 4 Super Bowls, then why's the list of 4 time champs so short (?) c'mon.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:35 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,138,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I always find this comment....system QB...to be such a knock against talent regardless of whom you are speaking of. Every team has a system. What differentiates on field performance is a combination of great coaching and the ability for the player to adjust his play to the overall team approach. Belichick and Brady are arguably one of the best ever at their respective positions. And those who toss out Cassel's 11-5 record the year Brady was hurt to somehow state that it is proof Brady is a system QB is, well, naive.

Whoever is behind center has to execute - read the field and deliver the ball. All Brady needs is for the OL to hold a couple of seconds which is all it takes for Brady to go through his reads. That's the sign of a great QB. And then he puts the ball where it needs to be.

No such thing as a system QB - such a lame term derived by the media.
fair point. I think Brady is a stellar QB. I think the system and combination with a great coach makes him even better. I think my point was more to the styling of play under the coach where the Pats win a a lot of games where there is a lot of scoring for both teams moreso than suggesting Brady is only good because of the system. So I think my point is more around the number of games where the score is such rather than the QB. Many historic great teams also won with a great defense of which I don't see the Pat as ever being such a team - and could argue this aspect evidences he is even better if that makes sense

Old 03-29-2015, 12:12 PM

4,291 posts, read 1,855,533 times
System QBs exist in college only where the Qb fails to grasp the NFL game.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:13 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,510,289 times
QB records are a dumb stat. It is still a team game regardless of whether the QB is down by 50 or 5. The QB, RB, WR, LB, CB, etc are all down by 21+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or