U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 06:30 AM

6,760 posts, read 10,443,519 times

Advertisements

Who will win?

As a long time Packer fan, I have to say this is one of the most exciting matchups I can remember anticipating.

The Packers are HOT right now. But so are the Giants. Both teams have FAR exceeded preseason expectations as NOBODY would have put them in the NFC championship game together.

What the Packers must do to win:
Play like they did against the Seahawks, minus the first 2 minutes. The running game needs to do well, although I think 120-130 yards by Grant would be sufficient, it would be back breaking to the Giants if he can get 150+ because that will mean the Packers are winning at the line of scrimmage, and their O-line is as healthy as its been all year. With the temps to be in the single digits, I wouldn't look for many long passes as the ball doesn't fly very well and it would be risky for either quarter back to unload. This IMO is a big advantage to the Packers because Donald Lee has made huge improvements as a tight end, and Donald Driver is one of the best in the business at catching a short pass and adding 5-10 more yards by breaking tackles. On defense, I think the Packers have the Giants wide receivers outmanned, so its a matter of playing a strong and well executed game plan. Miscommunications would allow Toomer or Burress to burn them, so they have to play tough the whole game. The D-line is also playing quiet well and has depth. I think they are capable of stopping the run for the most part.

The big wild card IMO is the fact that the Giants are just playing great football. I think GB has more talent and SHOULD win this game. But anytime a team comes in as hot as the Giants, I expect a great game that will likely be fought out til the fourth quarter before the winner is decided. I don't think it will be the blowout that Seattle was.

Packers 34 Giants 28
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 08:22 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,525,164 times
I'm a Panthers fan (yeah, I know, don't say it) but I'm really excited about this game! I'll be happy with either but I'd love to see the Packers take out Tom Brady. Or better yet, the Chargers and Packers in the Superbowl. That's what I'm hoping for!

Old 01-15-2008, 01:29 PM

613 posts, read 1,174,560 times
im trying to keep myself from being to cocky coming into this one. 38-21 packers

Old 01-16-2008, 06:57 AM

6,760 posts, read 10,443,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
im trying to keep myself from being to cocky coming into this one. 38-21 packers
Its hard as a Packers fan not to envision a blowout of the Giants after the thorough whipping Seattle received.

I have to keep reminding myself though that this Giants team played an undefeated Patriots team down to the wire to end the season and then hit the road to win 2 playoff road games against teams that were supposed to beat them.

So while I do have visions of a Packer blowout in my head, I haven't forgotten how the Giants punched their ticket to the NFC Championship and that makes me take them more seriously.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:11 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,574,684 times
You have to respect the Giants for what they've achieved. However, the Packers at home in the playoffs will be too much.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:37 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,677,690 times
I'm a huge Vikings fan. With that said, I really think the Packers are going to mop the floor with the Giants. All the Giants proved last week was the Cowboys were very overrated. The top team in the NFC all along was the Packers, and the top team in the NFL is, well we all know the answer to that one.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:37 AM

262 posts, read 225,843 times
i really hope that the Giants can pull this off, i dont like the Packers mostly because i dont like favre im not sure why i dont like him maybe it has something to do with superbowl xxxi

Old 01-18-2008, 05:41 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,363,821 times
it will be a good game, but the Packers will prevail and go on to play the CHARGERS in the Super Bowl!!!!

Old 01-18-2008, 02:45 PM

8,121 posts, read 17,351,305 times
I think Tom Coughlin is intently studying the two game films of the Packers against the Bears. Lovie Smith really seems to know how to fluster Favre. If he is made uncomfortable in the pocket, he sometimes makes unforced errors as the game goes on. Of course, Strahan, Osi, and Tuck are going to factor huge in this disruption. And they really have to, because the Giants are almost down to practice squad players in their secondary. The Giants secondary always seems to drop at least one sure interception per game. This can not happen in this game. With field and weather conditions being what they are, this might come down to trading field positions, so the punters will also play a large role. As a Giants fan, I don't trust Lawrence Tynes. Something tells me if he is put in a big spot to win it, he won't come through if the FG is beyond 30 yards. I wouldn't feel the same way if I were a Packers fan and Mason Crosby was my kicker.

Ultimately, with weather being this much a factor, first score is huge, and so is turnover differential. As I said, the key for the Giants getting either factor to go their way is to put enough defensive pressure on Favre early enough to frustrate him. If that happens, the Giants will be in the Super Bowl.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:37 PM

17,700 posts, read 35,654,981 times
Packers are gonna win ... did you see the weather forecast for Green Bay? Ah, football in the out of doors, the way god intended it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football