U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 03:13 PM

28,493 posts, read 15,453,012 times

Advertisements

Report: NFL to hire Sarah Thomas as first female game official

The NFL has hired its first female official, according to the Baltimore Sun's Aaron Wilson.

Sarah Thomas, who became the first female to officiate an NCAA football game in 2007, has previously been a finalist for the NFL job.

OK, note to players - do not pat this official on the butt for making a good call.

Congrats to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 04:55 AM

6,777 posts, read 10,177,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Report: NFL to hire Sarah Thomas as first female game official

The NFL has hired its first female official, according to the Baltimore Sun's Aaron Wilson.

Sarah Thomas, who became the first female to officiate an NCAA football game in 2007, has previously been a finalist for the NFL job.

OK, note to players - do not pat this official on the butt for making a good call.

Congrats to her.
This is great! Best of luck to her.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:16 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,126,454 times
Good for her. Wishing all the very best to Sarah Thomas.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:15 PM

3,177 posts, read 4,640,603 times
Equal pay for equal effort and abilities. I'm all for it without exception. I'm NOT for making exceptions whether gender, race or whatever just to "be fair" when that very action is NOT fair. (Refer to exceptions being talked about for Navy Seal training for women. Yea, let's put soldier's lives on the line because someone can't physically perform, but we can feel warm and fuzzy about it).

If this lady is qualified and does the job, I think it's a wonderful thing. This in my opinion is definitely a barrier that can be broken.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:37 PM

21,321 posts, read 21,895,576 times
I hope she succeeds but the players are going to test her resolve from the get go.

She needs to haul off and punch a big lineman right in his neck the first time one gives her any guff.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:36 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,233,177 times
Just a matter of time before we see the first female player in the NFL.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:40 AM

28,493 posts, read 15,453,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Just a matter of time before we see the first female player in the NFL.
Come on now - they were wondering this same thing in the baseball area. For some reason, it escaped them that no women were even in the minor leagues. Do that first - then we can talk.

Same thing here. There are no women in college football. Do that first and be productive - then we can talk NFL.

Same thing happened to Thomas - she was hired by Conference USA, and did well.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 04-09-2015 at 09:49 AM..

Old 04-10-2015, 08:21 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,233,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Come on now - they were wondering this same thing in the baseball area. For some reason, it escaped them that no women were even in the minor leagues. Do that first - then we can talk.

Same thing here. There are no women in college football. Do that first and be productive - then we can talk NFL.

Same thing happened to Thomas - she was hired by Conference USA, and did well.
It's kind of tongue in cheek (I probably should have posted that), but there are football leagues for women, so who knows? It wouldn't be positions like quarterback or anything like that. Although, if you have a team full of women like Ronda Rousey, I'd probably take my chances with that team than what the 'skins have produced, lol!

Old 04-10-2015, 04:39 PM

2,756 posts, read 2,371,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
She needs to haul off and punch a big lineman right in his neck the first time one gives her any guff.
I admit, the only reason I clicked on this thread was in hopes that Ghengis replied, & he didn't disappoint.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:53 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,526,206 times
This will be interesting. Is she capable of success? Sure if she's qualified. However, we saw how the NBA female ref did. She called a terrible technical on Chris Paul and he got fined for a comment that IMO wasn't meant in sexist way(which is of course how it was taken).

I'm sure it'll be interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or