U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 09:27 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,511,805 times

Advertisements

Overrated:

Kaepernick
Dalton
RG3? Or does no one like him anymore
Matt Ryan

Underrated:

Flacco
Romo

Not sure: Eli Manning. The Giants started to turn things around last year but then collapsed. If he can turn things around again, he'll surely go in the underrated pile.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:33 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,859,729 times
Not sure I would say Alex Smith is under rated. Maybe a year or two ago I would have. But last year I think pretty much planted him squarely in the "average to above average" QB range. He's great if you are the Bills or Jets and don't have a QB. But otherwise, you are basically looking at a less mistake prone Andy Dalton type QB. Good enough for some teams, but not a top 2-3 tier QB.

Flacco is underrated I guess when it comes to postseason play. Although, most now probably agree he is pretty elite in the postseason. But when it comes to regular season, he has really not given us any reason to think he is underrated.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:00 PM

19,986 posts, read 18,953,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Overrated:

Kaepernick
Dalton
RG3? Or does no one like him anymore
Matt Ryan

Underrated:

Flacco
Romo

Not sure: Eli Manning. The Giants started to turn things around last year but then collapsed. If he can turn things around again, he'll surely go in the underrated pile.
Tony Romo is underrated? The Cowboys played better in the 2014 season, but Romo has not changed. He is mediocre at best, and should be considered overrated.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:05 PM

32,470 posts, read 26,347,895 times
Quote:

Underrated:

Flacco
Romo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Tony Romo is underrated? The Cowboys played better in the 2014 season, but Romo has not changed. He is mediocre at best, and should be considered overrated.
i dont think romo is underrated or overrated. yes the cowboys played much better than previous seasons, but that was due to a big improvement in the running game, and a big improvement in defense. romo carried the team for sometime, and it was generally the defense that let the team down the majority of the time. had the cowboys had a better defense in previous years, they would have been to the playoffs a few more times.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
You say he's mediocre, I say he's underrated.

Edit: Everyone associates him with his mistakes, but as certain ESPN folks point out every week during football season, his 4th quarter numbers are actually quite strong.

Last edited by rarog; 04-25-2015 at 11:37 PM..

Old 04-25-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Flacco is underrated I guess when it comes to postseason play. Although, most now probably agree he is pretty elite in the postseason. But when it comes to regular season, he has really not given us any reason to think he is underrated.
Well I think this is pretty fair. The Ravens tend to have a philosophy of pass heavy offense early in the year to preserve their RBs for the playoff push (and cold weather games). They also have somewhat of a philosophy of "win your home games, split your road games." Although it's disappointing to see Flacco play below his potential during the regular season, it's "okay" for him to go through his slumps during the year because they're still likely a 10+ win team and he's as dangerous as anyone come playoff time.

He does play great during the regular season, too, just not consistently.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:33 AM

1,579 posts, read 984,359 times
Quote:
Flacco..he's as dangerous as anyone come playoff time..
Yeah, agreed, Flacco is generally underrated. I was lookin' at this career stats, he's consistently @ the top of the league in 'comeback drives'. And combining that w/his championship season, where he didn't throw a single postseason pick.. I would say Flacco's clutch play is underrated. My opinion, winning under pressure, is one of the strongest attributes of a great QB. Flacco doesn't seem to get enough love for that ability.

I'd also add Foles to my underrated list. And would say Tannehill's running ability is under appreciated. He was 5th in total QB rushing yards last season, & his yard per run was only .3 yard less than Kaepernick's average. Less than half a yard separates their average run, and Kaepernick receives a lot more press for his running prowess.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:16 AM

6,449 posts, read 3,459,939 times
Brett Favre - overrated (so he played a long time and was a polarizing figure and won a SB - too many INT's) - I had to throw one from the past as I always believed he got more accolades than deserved.
RGIII - overrated out of the gate.
Russell Wilson - overrated (I base this on longevity for which he has none yet, so people already calling him elite are a tad early - so I say overrated just right now - in a few more years I may change my thought).
Kapernick - was overrated, but I think people have now come to their senses.
Drew Brees - overrated (It's not all about stats).
Philip Rivers - overrated (he's just not as good as people want him to be).
Andrew Luck - overrated (like Russell Wilson, just too early in his career to place him so high, although to date each year the team around him gets better).
Aaron Rodgers - overrated (he wins MVP's, he has stats, but he just seems to be lacking the championship pedigree that Montana and Brady etc have).

My favorite is the Manning vs Brady comparison. In comparing the two - Manning is overrated and Brady underrated.

Tannehill - underrated, but experts do generally throw good words his way.
Flacco - I would say underrated, but this is a tough one. His playoff stats are stellar, but something about him I can't quite figure out.
Matt Ryan - underrated. I watched him at BC. I think the team around him has been so poor that he as the QB has taken a bulk of the heat. He's really good.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:17 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,127,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Overrated
Underrated

Alex Smith
Nick Foles
Kirk Cousins
Nick Foles: absolutely underrated & unmistakably underappreciated!

Old 04-26-2015, 09:21 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,859,729 times
Not sure I get the Foles love. If anything I would view him as overrated. Does he even have 16 games under his belt yet? Ton of question marks surrounding him. Plus, never good to be essentially beat out by Sanchez and Bradford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or