Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 09:31 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Eli Manning will be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Right just saying that and giving no reason does not really prove a point it is just your opinion

Old 05-28-2015, 02:48 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,329 times
lol

Old 05-28-2015, 06:37 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Default Eli Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Right just saying that and giving no reason does not really prove a point it is just your opinion
Eli Manning's achievements:
  • Five playoff appearances: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011
  • Three National Football Conference East division championships: 2005, 2008, 2011
  • Two National Football Conference championships: 2007, 2008
  • Two Super Bowl championships: XLII, XLVI
  • Two Super Bowl Most Valuable Player: XLII, XLVI
  • Three Pro Bowl appearances: 2008, 2011, 2012
  • New York Giants all-time leaded in pass attempts, pass completions, passing touchdowns, and passing yards
Quote:
Eli is a good QB but he is nowhere near a HOF player. He has 3 Pro Bowls and has never lead the league in any important catagory and is really a second tier player behind Brady, Peyton, Rodgers and Brees.
Quote:
Depends on how he plays from now if he plays well and wins a MVP or another Super Bowl yes but so far it does not look good for him but we have to wait and see.
What do you have to support your opinion?

I know Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees have not had as much success as Eli has.

Eli not belonging to the Pro Football Hall of Fame is like saying Tony Romo is underrated when he has not reached and performed up to a standard set by Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:46 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
i'd say Russell Wilson is overrated. For three years in a row, out of 32 starting QBs, he is no higher than 30th in pass attempts per game. He is not asked to throw the ball very much. Wilson's primary job is to hike the ball and hand it off to Marshawn Lynch.

He also benefits greatly from having fantastic field position. Matter of fact, due to the #1 defense in the NFL during their superbowl year in 2013, the Seahawks had the best starting field position of any offense in the league. Not to mention that the seahawks defense led the NFL in turnovers that year, so that means Wilson probably had more possessions than any other offense, giving them more chances to score.

Wilson is not asked to "put his team on his back" and go out there and win games the way Brees, Brady, Rivers, etc are. Wilson is the very definition of a game manager. main job is to feed Lynch, secondary job is to make smart, safe throws. Wilson is not a gunslinger like most big name QBs, yet people praise Wilson as if he's a top 5 QB sometimes. I just don't see it.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:06 PM

14,323 posts, read 14,620,586 times
A little early to proclaim Eli a lock for the HOF, I think! Don't put Pro Bowl as a reason, popularity contest with major fan input. His stats for the Giants might look good but will they hold up big picture in comparison to other QBs?

I can start listing things for Rodgers, too. You will say he doesn't have 2 Super Bowls, true, but every thing else you list, especially the stats, no comparison. Listing division wins and playoff appearances, 4 division and 6 playoffs for Rodgers, all in a row, more than Eli. You mention his stats, what about interceptions? Has he been league MVP yet???

The bottom line, HOF is way down the road and saying any player is in while they're still playing, a little premature.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:34 AM

I don't see Wilson as a game manager. Sure he may not put his team on his back the way Brady or Manning does, but he's had plenty of clutch drives very critical to victory the past couple years. If the Patriots landed Lynch and they started running the ball a lot more, would Brady be considered a game manager?

Old 05-29-2015, 06:08 AM

14,323 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I hate the term game manager, which is tossed around way too much these days when talking about quarterbacks.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:44 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
I don't see Wilson as a game manager. Sure he may not put his team on his back the way Brady or Manning does, but he's had plenty of clutch drives very critical to victory the past couple years. If the Patriots landed Lynch and they started running the ball a lot more, would Brady be considered a game manager?
If you look at this link, you will see that Seattle is DEAD LAST in the league in pass attempts per game. No QB in the NFL throws the ball less than Russell Wilson. fact. https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/sta...empts-per-game

Now, in my opinion, some (not all) folks don't like the term "game manager" because they might feel as though its a negative term, like it "takes away" from what Wilson does on Sundays. I'm not trying to do that at all. I mean, there's probably a better way to phrase it, but a QB like Wilson is asked by his offensive coordinator to "manage the game," which means don't make any dumb mistakes, and don't take any risks. It is not Wilson's fault that he is in a run-heavy offense, that's the coaching staff. So again, "Game Manager" seems to have a negative connotation associated with it, but I don't see it that way. It just means that Wilson isn't asked to be a play maker on a weekly basis by throwing the ball 45 times like some of the other QBs in this league.

And again, that gosh darn defense. Seattle leads the NFL in pretty much every significant stat. Fewest yards per game, fewest points per game, fewest 1st downs per game, most turnovers per game. When your defense only gives up 13 points per game (league best), it isn't very hard to score 14 points to get the win. You could probably plug and play half of the QBs into Seattle's offense, with the same playbook, and they too probably would've won the superbowl.

Is Russell Wilson a good, above average QB? Yes, without a doubt. But does he benefit greatly from literally having the best defense in 30 years since the 85 bears? You bet your butt he does. If Wilson played for the Packers in 2014, who have an average defense (16th to be exact), he would not win as many games as Aaron Rodgers did.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:46 AM

Best defense in 30 years? lol

Old 06-03-2015, 02:00 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Eli Manning will be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Based on??????????????

2 rings? Plunkett has 2 rings and he isn't in

Eli has never been a top 5 QB in any season he has played, let alone the best at his position
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football