U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:03 PM

19,983 posts, read 18,915,825 times

Advertisements

I posted Eli Manning's achievements and accomplishments several posts ago. It is worth reading.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:27 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,509,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
Based on??????????????

2 rings? Plunkett has 2 rings and he isn't in

Eli has never been a top 5 QB in any season he has played, let alone the best at his position
Yes he has.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:10 AM

10,459 posts, read 5,920,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
Based on??????????????

2 rings? Plunkett has 2 rings and he isn't in

Eli has never been a top 5 QB in any season he has played, let alone the best at his position
Yeah I agree with this. Eli is one of the hardest players to assess. Very rarely does an OK QB win not one but 2 SBs. And let's be honest, he had a lot to do with those titles. But you just can't put a guy into the Hall based on a few hot playoff runs, in that case Joe Flacco is a lock.

185 interceptions in only 169 games with a career passer rating of 82.4 in today's NFL is downright embarrassing for a guy some are pimping as a sure fire Hall of Famer.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 06-04-2015 at 11:24 AM..

Old 06-04-2015, 11:39 AM

My list:

Overrated:

Stafford. He is just good enough to get you beat in the big games

Daulton. See above

Underrated:

Big Ben. I hate him but he is a stud, way better than guys like Stafford and has proven it at the biggest moments. But for reason he is never listed in the top group. He's not Brady or Aaron but he's solidly in the next tier.

Romo: As a Redskins fan and a guy who measures QBs by what they do in January this may be a weird pick. But he's so damn good during the regular season that fans over look that as they put him in the Ryan Fitzpatrick category and that's nonsense.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:42 AM

3,431 posts, read 5,776,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
i'd say Russell Wilson is overrated. For three years in a row, out of 32 starting QBs, he is no higher than 30th in pass attempts per game. He is not asked to throw the ball very much. Wilson's primary job is to hike the ball and hand it off to Marshawn Lynch.

He also benefits greatly from having fantastic field position. Matter of fact, due to the #1 defense in the NFL during their superbowl year in 2013, the Seahawks had the best starting field position of any offense in the league. Not to mention that the seahawks defense led the NFL in turnovers that year, so that means Wilson probably had more possessions than any other offense, giving them more chances to score.

Wilson is not asked to "put his team on his back" and go out there and win games the way Brees, Brady, Rivers, etc are. Wilson is the very definition of a game manager. main job is to feed Lynch, secondary job is to make smart, safe throws. Wilson is not a gunslinger like most big name QBs, yet people praise Wilson as if he's a top 5 QB sometimes. I just don't see it.
With the garbage that Seattle has had catching the ball, I can see that.

Besides, if being a "game manager" was such an easy job, why do so many QBs manage to not hang on to a job doing just that? Even Ryan Fitzpatrick couldn't keep his job with the Texans of all teams...or Brian Hoyer in Cleveland. They certainly weren't around to chuck the ball 40+ times a game.

IMO, Wilson "is what he is" and he does what is asked of him. That doesn't overrate him any more than Ricky Dobbs running for a billion TDs at Navy did.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:05 AM

Russell Wilson may not take his team on his back all game every game like Rodgers does. But he has show the ability to take his team on his back and win games in the final minutes so many times by now that it's no accident. He most definitely has "it" and that is crucial.

If I were a Hawks fan there are only 2-3 QBs on the planet that I would want over the guy they have now.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:50 AM

2,800 posts, read 1,768,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Eli Manning's achievements:
  • Five playoff appearances: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011
  • Three National Football Conference East division championships: 2005, 2008, 2011
  • Two National Football Conference championships: 2007, 2008
  • Two Super Bowl championships: XLII, XLVI
  • Two Super Bowl Most Valuable Player: XLII, XLVI
  • Three Pro Bowl appearances: 2008, 2011, 2012
  • New York Giants all-time leaded in pass attempts, pass completions, passing touchdowns, and passing yards

What do you have to support your opinion?

I know Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees have not had as much success as Eli has.

Eli not belonging to the Pro Football Hall of Fame is like saying Tony Romo is underrated when he has not reached and performed up to a standard set by Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman.
All those things you listed are low for someone who has been in the NFL 11 years. Of course he won Superbowl MVP they almost always give it to the QB. in 2008 Eli only had 255 yards and he had 2 TD 1 int and his team scored 17 points and in 2011 Eli had 1 TD he was a weak Superbowl MVP both years.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:55 PM

214 posts, read 152,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
With the garbage that Seattle has had catching the ball, I can see that.

Besides, if being a "game manager" was such an easy job, why do so many QBs manage to not hang on to a job doing just that? Even Ryan Fitzpatrick couldn't keep his job with the Texans of all teams...or Brian Hoyer in Cleveland. They certainly weren't around to chuck the ball 40+ times a game.

IMO, Wilson "is what he is" and he does what is asked of him. That doesn't overrate him any more than Ricky Dobbs running for a billion TDs at Navy did.
"Game mangers" don't stick with every team because these kind of QB's are very dependent on the team surrounding them. Wilson has played on a team with a historically dominant defense the past two seasons so much less is asked of him. It's not that difficult to figure out.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:00 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Overrated

Rg3
Cutler
Kapernick

Underrated

Tony Romo
Joe Flacco
Russell wilson

Old 06-24-2015, 11:24 PM

19,983 posts, read 18,915,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post

Underrated:

Romo: As a Redskins fan and a guy who measures QBs by what they do in January this may be a weird pick. But he's so damn good during the regular season that fans over look that as they put him in the Ryan Fitzpatrick category and that's nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Underrated

Tony Romo
What has Romo done to be better than Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman?

Last edited by Carolina Knight; 06-24-2015 at 11:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or