Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 01:25 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,418,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
For wide receivers and defensive backs it's a measure of performance. For ANY line position it's meaningless. For defensive lineman and even linebackers to some degree, cut that distance in half. For offensive lineman what's important is how quick you are in 10 yards. The emphasis is size and quickness. How fast you react after the ball is snapped will be one of the main determining factors.

Even running back's success isn't hinged on a great 40 yard dash time. The important thing is how quick can you hit the hole, are you quick enough to evade tacklers, and whether you're tenacious or not.

Quarterback position, totally meaningless. Last I checked no NFL team is running an option offense. Heck, the running back position has been downgraded in importance dramatically as more and more teams resort to the passing game even when only short yardage is needed. Not always a smart move as Seattle found out in the Super Bowl.
And that was a stupid call in the Super Bowl with the sea Hawks, what was he (peter carroll) thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 12:37 AM

947 posts, read 1,186,345 times
Not only just 40 time, but athletic measurables in general are over rated. Being an athletic freak of nature doesn't mean one can play football.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Man View Post
Not only just 40 time, but athletic measurables in general are over rated. Being an athletic freak of nature doesn't mean one can play football.
And most of these scouts act like the NFL is the Olympics which it's not.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
And most of these scouts act like the NFL is the Olympics which it's not.
I know right. Seeming that we go for the same team, I've seen plenty Saint draft picks who flame out but had some impressive NFL Combine measures. Martez Wilson being one of the most recent examples.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:58 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
for some it matters a great deal, others could go either way and some not at all

Old 05-03-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I know right. Seeming that we go for the same team, I've seen plenty Saint draft picks who flame out but had some impressive NFL Combine measures. Martez Wilson being one of the most recent examples.
I forgot to mention. Hines ward for Steelers who was drafted low but became a future . Hall of of and two time super bowl winner

Old 05-04-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Come to think of it, I wish Sean Payton would've kept Joe Horn and let him get a ring with the Saints

Old 05-04-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Come to think of it, I wish Sean Payton would've kept Joe Horn and let him get a ring with the Saints
I wish he did as well, but it sucked even more that he became a Falcon

I'm glad Deuce stayed and won one.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:50 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
The 40-yard dash most likely is not as big a deal as it used to be, when all positions are considered. I agree that QBs and certain offensive linemen do not need this as much as running backs, tight ends and receivers.

On defense, cornerbacks, safeties and linebackers would be more apt to need the 40 than others.

Overall though, the 40 should be reevaluated as to its need and use in the future.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:38 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
For wide receivers and defensive backs it's a measure of performance. For ANY line position it's meaningless. For defensive lineman and even linebackers to some degree, cut that distance in half. For offensive lineman what's important is how quick you are in 10 yards. The emphasis is size and quickness. How fast you react after the ball is snapped will be one of the main determining factors.

Even running back's success isn't hinged on a great 40 yard dash time. The important thing is how quick can you hit the hole, are you quick enough to evade tacklers, and whether you're tenacious or not.

Quarterback position, totally meaningless. Last I checked no NFL team is running an option offense. Heck, the running back position has been downgraded in importance dramatically as more and more teams resort to the passing game even when only short yardage is needed. Not always a smart move as Seattle found out in the Super Bowl.
Excellent post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football