U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 12:35 PM

5,188 posts, read 3,505,113 times

Advertisements

So not all of them die at 52 from concussion-related impairments.

Oldest one on the list that I remember is the guy who comes in at #30, Charley Trippi, age 93, a star offensive back for the Chicago Cardinals. He rushed, caught passes, ran kicks, which was typical in the early-mid 50s when players had to wear several different hats with only 33 guys on the roster.

Oldest Living Professional Football Players - Oldest Living Pro Football Players
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 07:32 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,153,310 times
Al Wistert was a standout player, I think a lineman, for the late 1940s Philadelphia Eagles that won back-to-back NFL titles.

Ben Agajanian played for a LONG time, and was a kicker in the AFL late in his career.

Ara Parseghian of course is best known as Notre Dame's head coach in the 1960s and early 1970s and then as a college football commentator. I think he went to Miami of Ohio and played under Sid Gillman for part of his college career.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Al Wistert was a standout player, I think a lineman, for the late 1940s Philadelphia Eagles that won back-to-back NFL titles.

Ben Agajanian played for a LONG time, and was a kicker in the AFL late in his career.

Ara Parseghian of course is best known as Notre Dame's head coach in the 1960s and early 1970s and then as a college football commentator. I think he went to Miami of Ohio and played under Sid Gillman for part of his college career.
Oh man, I overlooked Ben A. whom I well recall in the mid-50s for the NYG. Heard of Wistert but don't remember him and I wasn't even aware that Ara P. was a pro.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:02 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,222,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
So not all of them die at 52 from concussion-related impairments.

Oldest one on the list that I remember is the guy who comes in at #30, Charley Trippi, age 93, a star offensive back for the Chicago Cardinals. He rushed, caught passes, ran kicks, which was typical in the early-mid 50s when players had to wear several different hats with only 33 guys on the roster.

Oldest Living Professional Football Players - Oldest Living Pro Football Players
Back when Trippi was playing, players were not using their helmets as weapons like they did for the past 25 or more years. With the new rules in place, i suspect we will see a reduction in head related issues for current and future NFL stars.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Back when Trippi was playing, players were not using their helmets as weapons like they did for the past 25 or more years. With the new rules in place, i suspect we will see a reduction in head related issues for current and future NFL stars.
Yes. I have a number of highlights and even complete games 1944-61 that were copied onto DVDs and they clearly show that players didn't use their hats as weapons which is consistent with my memories of the times. However, as to your 2nd point, I'm not as optimistic as you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or