U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2015, 06:25 PM

6,429 posts, read 4,189,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
And yet to date there is no proof of any cover-up. Everyone is just assuming that at this point. Sure, as in my previous post I mentioned Lance Armstrong who took forever to come clean. But until Brady issues any sort of statement (if he does), all still maybes and assumptions.

I never said he would get off with no penalty. Just making an opinion that I don't see enough evidence of the crime nor the cover-up to penalize, as there is no proof of either.

The NFL is the problem here.
Isn't the lack of cooperation with the investigation defacto cover-up? If he wouldn't give up his phone or emails, he was afraid something would get out, hence a cover-up. Does not have to be that he had knowledge of or initiated the deflation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 06:28 PM

2,125 posts, read 4,322,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
What about the 9ers run during the 80's and 90's

That was before the salary cap which was imposed to help bring universal mediocracy onto the League.

I detest the New England team, and their coach, but he is by far the best coach in the League.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:37 PM

6,429 posts, read 4,189,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Well, to you or me there is no obvious advantage simply because the noted PSI differences were so small, but obviously Brady sees an advantage otherwise there would be no story. It could simply be one of those quirky things that some players do before a game like eating a certain meal or engaging in a specific routine.

IMO, Brady likes the ball to feel a certain way which in this case is a bit lighter (PSI wise) than the recommended number. I believe there is likely no advantage either way and this is just one of those quirky player rituals that gives Brady some pregame comfort and confidence. Once the game is under way, it probably makes no difference either way.

Coming up on the biggest game of the year, Brady probably got a little anxious about the feel and went a little overboard to make sure those balls had that feel. If so, he should simply own up to it and move on. Regardless, there are those that will forever call him a cheat and he needs to realize that will never change. But if he admits that yea, he asked those guys to remove some air in the ball at least then he will win back a few detractors and some dignity.

Personally, I don't see a decided advantage in 1 pound less of PSI in the ball but then again, I could spit on a baseball or rough it up with an emery board all day long and it still wouldn't allow me to throw a nasty breaking ball...
The rules were broken. If there was no advantage to breaking the rules, then why do it in the first place? You cannot argue yourself out of a speeding ticket by asking why every other speeder didn't also get a ticket. You were the one that got caught. Wrong place, wrong time. Luck of the draw, etc.

I'll bet the running backs would love it if the balls were at zero PSI. They could really get a grip on the ball then. What was the Pats' fumble rate last year? 2nd in the NFL for the best numbers I believe.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:05 PM

23,653 posts, read 33,472,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
You left out the $ Million Dollar $ team fine.
That is meaningless considering the revenue an NFL team generates every year.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:13 PM

12,793 posts, read 8,818,576 times
Quote:
The rules were broken.
So why then did the Referees continue to use/allow obvious deflated balls to be used throught the entire 1st half of the game? The fact that they did absolutely NOTHING to stop the use of deflated balls makes them at the very least culpable, and at the most complicit. Did the Wells report even bother to ask any of the refs at that game why they didnt notice the deflated balls the 50 to 60 times they HAD THEM IN THIER HANDS, and why they continued time after time to place the balls on the field to be used?

Old 05-11-2015, 08:10 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,739,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
NFL finds Patriots employees probably deflated balls

So, nothing but maybes. Everyone deserves more than that.
Yup. After three months, I was waiting for that A-HA moment. It never came. Three months for "probably". What a joke. This won't stop them for winning. This is what the haters wanted. Enjoy...

Old 05-11-2015, 08:19 PM

5,631 posts, read 4,229,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
The rules were broken. If there was no advantage to breaking the rules, then why do it in the first place? You cannot argue yourself out of a speeding ticket by asking why every other speeder didn't also get a ticket. You were the one that got caught. Wrong place, wrong time. Luck of the draw, etc.

I'll bet the running backs would love it if the balls were at zero PSI. They could really get a grip on the ball then. What was the Pats' fumble rate last year? 2nd in the NFL for the best numbers I believe.
I agree.. if there is no advantage then why do it..
My basic point was the balls were underflated very little.. but I think i concluded my point by saying that just because i could see no difference in the PSI, Pro ball players might be able to.. I think the punishment was levied because of the obvious Patriot coverup.. had they simply admitted guilt.. maybe a fine would have been enough..

Old 05-11-2015, 09:15 PM

6,981 posts, read 4,464,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
In real world terms, this is what we would call "being prepared."
So, what you're saying is that they're the only team that's prepared?

Old 05-11-2015, 09:30 PM

7,437 posts, read 12,964,787 times
I think Brady and the Patriots got off very easy! His suspension, without pay, should have been at least 2 years, and the Patriots should have had to give up the Super Bowl title.
4 games might hurt his billfold a little, but money he's making off endorsements will help recoup most of that. And a million dollars to the Patriots is nothing but a drop in the bucket to them. They'll make that back up in a couple games.

If you want to stop this crap, hand down a punishment with some teeth to it. Hit them where it hurts!

Old 05-11-2015, 09:35 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,885,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I think Brady and the Patriots got off very easy! His suspension, without pay, should have been at least 2 years, and the Patriots should have had to give up the Super Bowl title.
4 games might hurt his billfold a little, but money he's making off endorsements will help recoup most of that. And a million dollars to the Patriots is nothing but a drop in the bucket to them. They'll make that back up in a couple games.

If you want to stop this crap, hand down a punishment with some teeth to it. Hit them where it hurts!
A 2 year suspension? Seriously? What do you think people who use PEDs should get? 4 years?

The initial Ray Rice suspension, you know the one he received for beating his wife, was only 2 games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or