U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2015, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Northwest Peninsula
3,244 posts, read 1,613,045 times
Reputation: 1746

Advertisements

To clear up a small point..the ball were in the hands of the officials before the game. After they were supposedly checked by the officials as prescribed by rules of the NFL. They (the balls) were then given to the ball boys. According to reports I heard one if not both ball boys took the balls into a restroom. What happened to the balls at that point only the ball boys know for sure...maybe the balls had to take a leak..(pun intended). I assume that the ball boys were interviewed by the NFL (Wells in this case) and they must have told what happened to the balls in their possession and that must have had some influence on the finally decision. When and if this comes out then we will all know.

My only question is would the ball boys deflate the balls on their own....or was their some influence or instructions by Brady to make the balls inflation the way he wanted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2015, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis
2,295 posts, read 2,154,570 times
Reputation: 3109
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post

My only question is would the ball boys deflate the balls on their own....or was their some influence or instructions by Brady to make the balls inflation the way he wanted?
Seriously?

You need an answer to that question?

Why would the ball attendants ever just decide on their own that the balls should have less air?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2015, 08:21 AM
 
6,477 posts, read 3,474,605 times
Reputation: 10272
This whole story continues to unfold like a WWE script sprinkled with Days of Our Lives.

The What Ifs and contradictions in what I've read are ridiculous.

I'll focus on a few facts that make this entire story the Mt Rushmore of curiosity.

The Colts tip off the NFL about issues with the Patriots footballs. Therefore, going into the AFC Championship, the NFL warned their officials to be on the lookout (it would be ludicrous to think they were not). All eyes were on the Patriots. Forget the fact that McNally disappeared for 90 seconds in the bathroom to take a leak, or as all want to believe, he was able to make the footballs lose weight (The Deflator) in that time - all 12 of them. A league official in charge of footballs loses track of the footballs for over 8 minutes, the first time supposedly that ever happened in his career. He takes out 12 alternative footballs to put in play, but upon finally seeing McNally, takes those game balls instead.

So, if everyone knew to be on the watch, and a league official loses sight of the balls for 8 minutes, why were those balls once located either rechecked or just put the alternate balls in play? 8 minutes gone with the key equipment all were looking for yet nothing done.

Conspiracy theory against the Patriots all you want. I see WAY more evidence pointing to other issues and not Brady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2015, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Earth
1,307 posts, read 1,259,222 times
Reputation: 1436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Seriously?

You need an answer to that question?

Why would the ball attendants ever just decide on their own that the balls should have less air?
I thought of that too but there is a good reason why they might do it on their own. It seems that in earlier texts, Brady was unhappy that the balls were being overinflated by the refs. Maybe the ball boy figured that this was a regular situation so he took it upon himself to deflate the balls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2015, 08:18 PM
 
9,680 posts, read 4,631,977 times
Reputation: 5504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Why would I have to prove the PSI? I don't claim to know the exact PSI, you do. You stated the balls were measured at 12.5 PSI. Please tell us how you know that.
That's the problem. They don't know what the PSI was before or after because they don't keep track and the two gauges they may have used registered differently. How can they say the balls were illegal if they can't prove it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2015, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis
2,295 posts, read 2,154,570 times
Reputation: 3109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
That's the problem. They don't know what the PSI was before or after because they don't keep track and the two gauges they may have used registered differently. How can they say the balls were illegal if they can't prove it?
Uhh, yeah, that's what I've been saying this whole time.

That's why I responded to your post by saying:

Quote:
You don't know, and neither does anyone else, that the balls started off at 12.5, because the initial measurements were not recorded by the officials or anyone else from the league. All anyone knows is that the balls were approved by Walt Anderson, meaning they could have measured as high as 13.5 when they were first measured.
That's why I called BS on your post that said:

Quote:
the Patriots footballs which started at 12.5
You don't know that they started at 12.5. They could have started at 13.5 and your whole "ideal gas law" argument would be ruined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 06:12 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,683 posts, read 4,235,168 times
Reputation: 4626
I get Patriot fans standing behind their team and their QB, i get that! But outside of Patriot land, no one truly believes that the NFL and Roger Goodell are out to get the Patriots! That's just silly. No one believes the Patriots and Tom Brady are simply innocent by standers in all this mess, caught up in some elaborate sting perpetrated by the league and the Colts. No one honestly believes that crap!

I expected Brady to appeal, everyone did. I don't have an issue with that and wouldn't have an issue if the suspension were reduced. It seems like all suspensions are reduced these days. I would have a hulluva lot more respect for him as a man (not a player) if he would come clean. He was caught (not red handed) but no sensible thinking person (outside of Patriot land) thinks he is totally and unequivocally innocent of any wrong doings where deflate gate is concerned. The circumstantial evidence is just too damning in my opinion.

The Patriots made some valid points in their rebuttal but the excuses they make where the locker room attendants texts are concerned (which is the most damning evidence) is simply laughable. If the Patriots expect fans to believe their take on the texts, then they are even more arrogant than initially thought!

IMO, the Patriots are digging a bigger PR hole for themselves by pushing this issue with the league. Perhaps they simply want a reduction in penalty's but the attack on the NFL office and the Wells reports makes me think this is personal. It seems to me like they could appeal and get a reduction without all the mudslinging.. it only makes them look even more guilty, IMO. The Patriots need to take a big dose or reality pill. Nothing short of total exoneration by the league is going to clear their name where their legacy is concerned and the evidence is simply not in their favor in that respect.

Last edited by mco65; 05-17-2015 at 06:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 12:12 PM
 
6,477 posts, read 3,474,605 times
Reputation: 10272
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I get Patriot fans standing behind their team and their QB, i get that! But outside of Patriot land, no one truly believes that the NFL and Roger Goodell are out to get the Patriots! That's just silly. No one believes the Patriots and Tom Brady are simply innocent by standers in all this mess, caught up in some elaborate sting perpetrated by the league and the Colts. No one honestly believes that crap!

I expected Brady to appeal, everyone did. I don't have an issue with that and wouldn't have an issue if the suspension were reduced. It seems like all suspensions are reduced these days. I would have a hulluva lot more respect for him as a man (not a player) if he would come clean. He was caught (not red handed) but no sensible thinking person (outside of Patriot land) thinks he is totally and unequivocally innocent of any wrong doings where deflate gate is concerned. The circumstantial evidence is just too damning in my opinion.

The Patriots made some valid points in their rebuttal but the excuses they make where the locker room attendants texts are concerned (which is the most damning evidence) is simply laughable. If the Patriots expect fans to believe their take on the texts, then they are even more arrogant than initially thought!

IMO, the Patriots are digging a bigger PR hole for themselves by pushing this issue with the league. Perhaps they simply want a reduction in penalty's but the attack on the NFL office and the Wells reports makes me think this is personal. It seems to me like they could appeal and get a reduction without all the mudslinging.. it only makes them look even more guilty, IMO. The Patriots need to take a big dose or reality pill. Nothing short of total exoneration by the league is going to clear their name where their legacy is concerned and the evidence is simply not in their favor in that respect.
One major point I take from your post is this - both sides have made this a debacle from the beginning and throughout. The investigation was a farce. The Wells report was garbage. The rebuttal was piling on more garbage on top of garbage.

Whichever side of the fence you see yourself, both sides IMO have created a PR nightmare. The longer this plays out as a quasi-legal battle pasted over the media worldwide, the more idiotic the whole thing is. You know I'm a Pats and Brady fan in saying this.

The court of public opinion is out, and the Patriots and Brady are guilty in that court. This appeal can play out and the sentence reduced, but that won't solve anything as it's all a policy play. This thing is more magnification of how poorly the NFL is being run despite of the money it makes.

Right wrong or indifferent, I believe the only way to stop this madness is for Brady to call a conference and man up instead of hiding behind the agent. Tell it like it is, whatever it is inside of his head. His viewpoint, his take on this. If it was most any other player I wouldn't expect that, but we're talking about the face of the NFL, a QB for the ages (and please, don't say cheating was the only reason he's won because if you do you don't know football).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
1,757 posts, read 1,939,609 times
Reputation: 1903
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,683 posts, read 4,235,168 times
Reputation: 4626
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
One major point I take from your post is this - both sides have made this a debacle from the beginning and throughout. The investigation was a farce. The Wells report was garbage. The rebuttal was piling on more garbage on top of garbage.

Whichever side of the fence you see yourself, both sides IMO have created a PR nightmare. The longer this plays out as a quasi-legal battle pasted over the media worldwide, the more idiotic the whole thing is. You know I'm a Pats and Brady fan in saying this.

The court of public opinion is out, and the Patriots and Brady are guilty in that court. This appeal can play out and the sentence reduced, but that won't solve anything as it's all a policy play. This thing is more magnification of how poorly the NFL is being run despite of the money it makes.

Right wrong or indifferent, I believe the only way to stop this madness is for Brady to call a conference and man up instead of hiding behind the agent. Tell it like it is, whatever it is inside of his head. His viewpoint, his take on this. If it was most any other player I wouldn't expect that, but we're talking about the face of the NFL, a QB for the ages (and please, don't say cheating was the only reason he's won because if you do you don't know football).
I agree with everything you say, but i will add that only the Patriots can put an end to this mess because in all fairness, they can only blame themselves for whats' going. Yes, the NFL has screwed this up but the buck still starts and stops with the Patriots. They started the ball rolling so only they can stop it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top