U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 10:57 AM

6,446 posts, read 3,453,370 times

Advertisements

Kind of pointless to discuss this issue as there are two camps in the argument.

Those who call the Patriots cheaters just have more ammo to continue saying so. Those who discount the allegations (Spygate, Deflategate) will continue to do so and enjoy the only gate that matters, Tailgate.

Football fans who think whatever it is the Patriots have done made a huge difference in wins and losses will continue to believe so. Fans who think it made very little difference will continue to believe so.

Those who think the Wells report is damning to Brady and the Patriots are those who want it to be so and jump for joy. Those who think the Wells report is so vague with no hard evidence will shake their head at the stupidity of this whole entire issue.

Those who think only the Patriots go for the advantage while other teams are more on the up and up will continue to do so. Those who think all teams in one form or another look for a competitive advantage will continue to do so.

So on that note, tata to this silliness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 11:12 AM

3,722 posts, read 3,878,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
They need to fine and suspend Brady. The Colts really got screwed here. They should've went to Super Bowl or at least had a re-match.
The Colts were blown out by the Patriots. The balls did not matter. They did not cause Luck to go 12 of 33 for 126 yards, 0 TDs and 2 INTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Then there was the previous game against the Ravens. It could have made a difference in that game and the. The Colts would have faced a non-cheating team in the AFC Championship.
Get over it - the Patriots beat the Ravens. Baltimore blew not one, but two 14 points leads.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:05 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,174,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The Colts were blown out by the Patriots. The balls did not matter. They did not cause Luck to go 12 of 33 for 126 yards, 0 TDs and 2 INTs.

Get over it - the Patriots beat the Ravens. Baltimore blew not one, but two 14 points leads.
Yeah they did. How? That is the big question. The score differential was what? 3 points. I forget.

Never have seen anyone answer a question I proposed after the Superbowl. If the Pats had a real good turnover ratio in all the games prior to the Superbowl, why did the ratio swing the opposite way in the Superbowl? Could it be the properly inflated balls?

Old 05-07-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

But, on the other hand, reports state Brady was not 100% cooperative. He didn't release emails or texts asked for. Hmmm.
Remember when Kraft promised Goodel and the press that every one in the Pats organization would cooperate with the investigation?

Shouldn't Kraft be subject to a fine for failing to come through on his promise?

Old 05-07-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Listening to NFL players who have the balls to own up and say this edge is no different than other edges utilized by teams to gain an advantage (and forget about two wrongs don't make a right), no team was victimized. The better team won, period. The Pats were singled out, and called out by an email prior to the game. Aaron Rodgers said he over inflates his footballs, so what about that? And what makes this whole thing pathetic is the Wells report that took so long to come out - nothing concrete, substantial, or any proof. Just conjecture. It's garbage.
Rodgers said that in support of Brady, because they are friends. They never tested the Packers footballs. For all we know their footballs could have been under-inflated.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:12 PM

6,446 posts, read 3,453,370 times
Did anyone read the entire report? I have not read the entire report but have downloaded and read excerpts so far. I have been listening to SirusXM NFL radio, reading FoxSports & ESPN etc. As I read more bits of this 243 page fiasco which to me equates to a huge waste of money and time, the whole thing becomes more of a sham.

Item#13 - the final in list of conclusions:

"13. In sum, the data did not provide a basis for us to determine with absolute certainty whether
there was or was not tampering as the analysis of such data ultimately is dependent upon
assumptions and information that is not certain
. However, based on all of the information
provided to us, particularly regarding the timing and sequencing of the measurements
conducted by the game officials at halftime, and on our testing and analyses, we conclude
that within the range of game characteristics most likely to have occurred on Game Day, we
have identified no set of credible environmental or physical factors that completely accounts
for the additional loss
in air pressure exhibited by the Patriots game balls as compared to the
loss in air pressure exhibited by the Colts game balls measured during halftime of the AFC
Championship Game."

Almost, maybe, could be, possible, not sure. So on that, let's suspend Brady for a year and teach the Patriots a lesson.

Wells Report = Fuel for the haters and doubters. That's it.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:48 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,968 times
There is this old adage, 'where there is smoke, there is fire!'

Whether or not deflated balls had an impact on the game is irrelevant. They have a regulated PSI number for a reason... I don't think you have to be a rocket scientist (or a biased fan) to conclude that Brady bribed those two Patriots employees to remove some air from those balls. The real question is, how long has this been going on? Plus, was this a one time thing or is this a standard operating procedure in New England?

There is no question there will be punishment for the Patriots, what that will be I am not sure but nothing surprises me these days. I keep reading that Brady could be facing a 2-4 game suspension and the Pats will be fined $500,000 plus a draft pick or two. Small price to pay I suppose.

I only have one question, will Robert Kraft apologize to the NFL and their fans? ! He has to be eating some crow right now and once again is embarrassed by his employees actions!

Old 05-07-2015, 06:15 PM

5,879 posts, read 2,379,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
There is this old adage, 'where there is smoke, there is fire!'

Whether or not deflated balls had an impact on the game is irrelevant. They have a regulated PSI number for a reason... I don't think you have to be a rocket scientist (or a biased fan) to conclude that Brady bribed those two Patriots employees to remove some air from those balls. The real question is, how long has this been going on? Plus, was this a one time thing or is this a standard operating procedure in New England?

There is no question there will be punishment for the Patriots, what that will be I am not sure but nothing surprises me these days. I keep reading that Brady could be facing a 2-4 game suspension and the Pats will be fined $500,000 plus a draft pick or two. Small price to pay I suppose.

I only have one question, will Robert Kraft apologize to the NFL and their fans? ! He has to be eating some crow right now and once again is embarrassed by his employees actions!
I'm watching Brady's Media extravaganza in a room full of Patriot lover's..He no longer is wearing his signature hat/toque...LOL Such a shame..He cheated..denied any knowledge and yet circumstantially has been found likely in the loop of knowledge and his ball handlers too..This is NOT a criminal Case..It's just another case of Brady and his coach who ( cheat) goes to any length to win.....

I do hope NFL hold Him and the team accountable..BUT, as most things in life $$$ always trumps accountability ..whether it's politics, sports, judicial system and in everyday life!! OKAY..Off my soapy box.....

Old 05-07-2015, 07:14 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,254,868 times
I notice that the initial reaction to the report by the sports pundits was to condemn the Patriots. That is most likely because they only read the "executive summary." As they've slogged their way through the entire report, however, many people are calling into question some of the investigation and rational for the conclusions.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:28 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,912,172 times
Why else would they have video of guys who talked about it then one took ball bag to showers? They need to change ball policy since they have a cheating problem pretty much on camera. and not the first on that team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or