U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 08:00 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,962,056 times

Advertisements

Hard to respect the Colts for tattling about something that likely happens all the time. They should have taken their beating like grown-ups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 08:38 PM

6,487 posts, read 3,478,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
I notice that the initial reaction to the report by the sports pundits was to condemn the Patriots. That is most likely because they only read the "executive summary." As they've slogged their way through the entire report, however, many people are calling into question some of the investigation and rational for the conclusions.
Definitely.

The deeper and more detailed you get into the 243-page report (which I downloaded as a keepsake to remind me what pathetic is), the holes in the report are cannonball sized.

Thing is, this whole report was nothing more then the preliminary round before what really matters - what the NFL does with it.

I think the NFL has two choices here.

If they are going to penalize, it has to be against Brady only, because the report basically clears those in the office. If the NFL listens to the fans (who pay the bills of this billion dollar industry), the naive fans who just want blood, they will have to come down heavy with a suspension, as money means nothing and will not satisfy the purpose of penalizing. The fans who think Kraft and Goodell are buddies wants blood. The fans who hate Brady wants blood.

The other choice is to say the report proves nothing, is inconclusive, and no penalties will be given. But, the NFL also has to admit they need to clean up their act. They need to address ball handling of course. The NFL has mucked up many things.

I have seen some totally ignorant responses to this. Some fans think this is worse than Bounty Gate. Yeah, paying people to hurt others is far less important than PSI's in a ball. Yet another example of the stupidity of humanity, from the response, to Wells and this ??? report, to Goodell and his inability to run a billion dollar company.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:46 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,155,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Did anyone read the entire report? I have not read the entire report but have downloaded and read excerpts so far. I have been listening to SirusXM NFL radio, reading FoxSports & ESPN etc. As I read more bits of this 243 page fiasco which to me equates to a huge waste of money and time, the whole thing becomes more of a sham.

Item#13 - the final in list of conclusions:

"13. In sum,[b] the data did not provide a basis for us to determine with absolute certainty whether
there was or was not tampering
So?

Why does there need to be "absolute certainty?"

That isn't even the standard of proof in criminal courts in our country, let alone civil courts.

According to the Wells Report, the preponderance of evidence standard is met and it is likely (though not absolute) that the Patriots cheated. That is enough evidence in court and it is certainly enough evidence under the CBA that is currently in place.

Of course, there is also no "absolute certainty" that O.J. killed Nicole. Have you been out helping look for "the real killer?"

Old 05-07-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The Colts were blown out by the Patriots. The balls did not matter. They did not cause Luck to go 12 of 33 for 126 yards, 0 TDs and 2 INTs.
So?

Is it OK to cheat as long as you win by a large margin?

Is that now the accepted standard?

Furthermore, does anyone REALLY believe that they only cheated in the game against the Colts?

The Patriots are PROVEN cheaters. That is beyond dispute.

Why should we think that they only get caught when they actually do cheat? What bad luck they must have if that is the case.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:03 PM

Regardless of the cheating, the reason Brady (and maybe the Patriots) will be disciplined by the league, is the failure to cooperate.

The CBA states failure to cooperate in an investigation constitutes conduct detrimental to the league. That is what the league will use as a basis for punishment, not necessarily any allegations of cheating.

Brady, who many claim is innocent of wrongdoing, refused to turn over text messages that were pertinent to the investigation. The Patriots refused to allow the ball boy to give a follow up interview.

This all happened after Bob Kraft said they would do everything necessary to aid in the investigation.

Quote:
The report said Patriots counsel apparently didn’t inform McNally of the request, and that the refusal “violated the club's obligations to cooperate with the investigation under the Policy on Integrity of the Game & Enforcement of League Rules and was inconsistent with public statements made by the Patriots pledging full cooperation with the investigation.”
That is what will be the basis for discipline, not the actual cheating.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:10 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,934,009 times
Lance Armstrong never cheated either lol

Old 05-08-2015, 05:38 AM

6,440 posts, read 4,200,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Remember when Kraft promised Goodel and the press that every one in the Pats organization would cooperate with the investigation?

Shouldn't Kraft be subject to a fine for failing to come through on his promise?
I repeat with emphasis, the above. Remember Richard Nixon? It wasn't the breaking that cost him his job. It was the cover-up. Does anybody really think the Pats organization will get off scott free in this? Other than Metalman, that is

Old 05-08-2015, 05:44 AM

386 posts, read 554,312 times
It seems to me if a ball is deflated somewhat, it would be "heavier" wouldn't it?

Old 05-08-2015, 06:03 AM

21,409 posts, read 21,974,288 times
people like Brady with butt chins are morally bankrupt

Old 05-08-2015, 07:41 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,141,495 times
Regardless of the outcome, this is a major setback for both the NFL and the NE Patriots. If Brady gets suspended, it will greatly hurt his team and his legacy, if it hasn't already.

Do I still respect what the Pats have done as a football team? Absolutely. However, the NFL definitely needs to be part of the solution if one of their elite teams has crossed the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or