U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-09-2015, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,747 posts, read 2,368,848 times
Reputation: 2607

Advertisements

I'm surprised Brady will be suspended with the Patriots playing in the season opener. NFL is all about money & viewership. Do the Patriots still have the backup who played well for a quarter or 2 @ KC last year? Maybe that'll draw enough interest in the opener?

Also, sounds like Brady was/is a jerk to the ball boys. Like a lot of people suspected, maybe Brady is not the happy go lucky guy when the cameras are off.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.2212663
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2015, 05:02 AM
 
6,981 posts, read 4,455,197 times
Reputation: 5141
Default Is deflategate a false flag

In the current landscape of the NFL, we have teams who are great one year and garbage the next. Check out that division with the Falcons, Saints, etc. Wasn't there a stretch of a few years where the division winner finished last (or was it the last place team finished first the following year?)

Anyway, all these teams in the NFL have good stretches and bad stretches, ups and downs, ebbs and flows. Except them. They're great every year no matter what, no matter how many great players they lose, they can lose Aaron Hernandez, Welker and a few key defensive players, but you plug in someone else and away they go, 11-5 or 12-4 like clockwork. This team is immune to a "bad season".

If they have done spygate and they have done Deflate gate, do we think these are the only things they're doing to get edges?

The winning play of the Super Bowl was a player who KNEW what play the Seahawks were running, the DB played possum, he dropped back to bait the receiver to think he was wide open and nobody was paying attention and then bam, as soon as wilson started to reach back to throw, this guy beelined right for the spot the ball was going to land, there's no way you can get there if its a reaction play, he knew that was coming or else he has no shot to get there. THIS is why these guys never have a bad season, no matter who the players are, plug in Joe Blow and away you go to a winning season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 09:39 AM
 
6,443 posts, read 3,451,927 times
Reputation: 10207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
I'm not totally sure if you're a "homer", Metalman, but...

What distinguishes a true homer to myself and others, is a person who never seems to see anything wrong with what their particular home team does.

A homer seems to claim that anyone who doesn't absolutely agree with everything about what their home team does is a hater. Or... a homer seems to claim that whatever their home team does is less bad than what any others' team has done.

Put another way: their home team either commits no sins, or always commits only lesser, forgivable (venial) sins. All others' teams commit mortal (very bad) sins.

Is that an "assumption"?
Am I a homer? Yes, huge Pats fan. BUT, I live within the grey area of right and wrong on this. If I say other teams try to gain a competitive advantage (in ways I do not know), I will be called a homer using it as an excuse like everybody does it. That's not how I feel.

The NFL this year I think is messing things up. I know Rice and Peterson are off-field issues with true legal ramifications, but the NFL was not smooth in handling these issues. Brady is an on the field issue. IMHO, whether he intentionally had balls deflated (to what PSI he said I don't think is anywhere, so who knows) isn't the issue. Since the NFL never has tested balls at halftime, and since there really isn't any protocol for handling footballs in accordance with their PSI rules (like always checking at halftime, or spot checking during a game, or whatever), coupled with a weak report of maybes - I think this is more of an indictment of the weakness of the NFL policing their own industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Why can't the NFL do both? I don't see why they can't penalize AND tighten up their procedures so that this cannot happen again.

Just because a rule is loose and has cracks does not mean there should not be ramifications for those who choose to break threw those cracks.
In this case, it's broken puzzle pieces with lots of assumptions to arrive at guilt. At least that's how it smells to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
When Brady is suspended(and he will be), expect a very swift appeal to be filed, and expect possible litigation to happen for his name being slandered and dragged through the dirt with 0 evidence. If nothing else, he is obligated to appeal as a member of the players union, if he accept punishment as a prominent player, for a crime that there is no proff he committed, he sets a bad precedent for his fellow players.
I agree. I think if any suspension is levied he should immediately seek defamation of character through the players union. If he truly believes he is not at fault, then why wouldn't he do this? If he knows he's innocent (meaning never said to deflate balls below 12.5 PSI, he has every right to make this ugly with the NFL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 01:18 PM
 
Location: SWFL
22,851 posts, read 19,290,501 times
Reputation: 21221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I repeat with emphasis, the above. Remember Richard Nixon? It wasn't the breaking that cost him his job. It was the cover-up. Does anybody really think the Pats organization will get off scott free in this? Other than Metalman, that is
Yohoo!! Over here!! You forgot about me! Just am too disgusted over this bull to argue again. There is no PROOF of any wrong doing by Brady. How can he be punished without PROOF??? If there were PROOF Brady cheated, I would say "hang 'im high!" NO PROOF...cut the crap.

Bye-bye now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 02:03 PM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,856,246 times
Reputation: 2350
The Colts/Broncos (Peyton Manning led teams) have pretty much always been great every year as well. While it is not common to be so dominant for so long, are we surprised that teams with the greatest QBs ever are able to stay on top?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times
Reputation: 4582
I do not understand your point? At least not as it pertains to the title??

What are you trying to say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times
Reputation: 4582
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Yohoo!! Over here!! You forgot about me! Just am too disgusted over this bull to argue again. There is no PROOF of any wrong doing by Brady. How can he be punished without PROOF??? If there were PROOF Brady cheated, I would say "hang 'im high!" NO PROOF...cut the crap.

Bye-bye now.
Hard core proof no, but plenty of circumstantial of evidence according to the report. Unless Brady comes out with counter evidence to prove he is innocent, the court of public opinion will continue to be against him, at least the court outside of Boston...

Many many folks have suffered far worse than missing a few football games due to circumstantial evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 04:24 PM
 
383 posts, read 550,171 times
Reputation: 353
If a football was underinflated enough to make a difference it seems to me it would then be obvious. The team with underinflated footballs would be at a disadvantage, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 04:54 PM
 
6,443 posts, read 3,451,927 times
Reputation: 10207
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Hard core proof no, but plenty of circumstantial of evidence according to the report. Unless Brady comes out with counter evidence to prove he is innocent, the court of public opinion will continue to be against him, at least the court outside of Boston...

Many many folks have suffered far worse than missing a few football games due to circumstantial evidence.
I believe this is his only recourse now. NFl protecting themselves. Court of public opinion.

If he's innocent, he needs to fight like he is. And the sad part is, people will equate this to Lance Armstrong or something idiotic like that, saying he cried no wrong doing until the very end. But this is PSI's in footballs that has no proven advantage overall, whereas Lance made himself stronger and faster illegally in a one-on--one race atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 04:57 PM
 
6,443 posts, read 3,451,927 times
Reputation: 10207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I repeat with emphasis, the above. Remember Richard Nixon? It wasn't the breaking that cost him his job. It was the cover-up. Does anybody really think the Pats organization will get off scott free in this? Other than Metalman, that is
And yet to date there is no proof of any cover-up. Everyone is just assuming that at this point. Sure, as in my previous post I mentioned Lance Armstrong who took forever to come clean. But until Brady issues any sort of statement (if he does), all still maybes and assumptions.

I never said he would get off with no penalty. Just making an opinion that I don't see enough evidence of the crime nor the cover-up to penalize, as there is no proof of either.

The NFL is the problem here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top