Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 09:42 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Spygate was a big deal! The Patriots were caught video taping the opposing teams signals. They would then cross reference those signals with the plays that were run so that they would have AN ADVANTAGE the next time they played that team... so yea, it was a big deal and it was a huge advantage.. Knowing an opposing teams signals and being able to relay the opposing teams next play into your team is one of the biggest advantages you could have, IMO!

I think the Spygate gave the Patriots a much bigger advantage than any amount of PSI could have!
the thing is though that EVERY team does the same thing the patriots did, except they dont do it from the sidelines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 06:20 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Please expand

I mean, I'll take the penalty flag, but an explanation would be nice (other than the fact that taping was supposed to be in a location surrounded by walls, thus my 20' away statement is invalid).
I was explaining the Patriots intent and not their interpretation of the rules. The Patriots intent with Spygate was to gain an advantage and that is why they were fined and docked a draft pick. Like someone else mentioned, other teams were doing the same thing to gain an advantage which is what prompted the commish to send out the memo to all teams to STOP! The Patriots ignored the memo and were caught and punished.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I was explaining the Patriots intent and not their interpretation of the rules. The Patriots intent with Spygate was to gain an advantage and that is why they were fined and docked a draft pick. Like someone else mentioned, other teams were doing the same thing to gain an advantage which is what prompted the commish to send out the memo to all teams to STOP! The Patriots ignored the memo and were caught and punished.
the only thing the teams were told to stop doing was taping from the sidelines. anywhere else in the stadium is fine to tape the other teams signal callers.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:58 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,279,568 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the only thing the teams were told to stop doing was taping from the sidelines. anywhere else in the stadium is fine to tape the other teams signal callers.
As rbohm states, the only thing teams were told to stop was taping from the sidelines, not taping. So if one wants to argue taping from the sidelines gives one a competitive advantage over taping not from the sidelines, go ahead.

SpyGate was way overblown due to fans forcing the NFL to act, not the incident itself. I hate Mangini, and even he said his only intention of calling the Patriots out was to have them stop. Mangini says he never envisioned it to blow up like it did, and I believe him. Crying loud fans who hate winners pushed the NFL much harder than they would have otherwise.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
As rbohm states, the only thing teams were told to stop was taping from the sidelines, not taping. So if one wants to argue taping from the sidelines gives one a competitive advantage over taping not from the sidelines, go ahead.

SpyGate was way overblown due to fans forcing the NFL to act, not the incident itself. I hate Mangini, and even he said his only intention of calling the Patriots out was to have them stop. Mangini says he never envisioned it to blow up like it did, and I believe him. Crying loud fans who hate winners pushed the NFL much harder than they would have otherwise.
I don't remember the huge outcry but its been a long time so i will defer to your memory..

but what exactly where the Patriots taping??? It sounds like you are simply saying they had a camera getting in the way of the peanut vendor... vs what was really going on!

Old 05-13-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I don't remember the huge outcry but its been a long time so i will defer to your memory..

but what exactly where the Patriots taping??? It sounds like you are simply saying they had a camera getting in the way of the peanut vendor... vs what was really going on!
all the teams tape not only all the plays in each game, but the signal callers as well. the problem is that when you tape from the sidelines, you are adding personal on the field that can interfere with game officials. its bad enough with all the photographers on the sidelines, now add more camera personal ot the mix. where are you going to put them all?

also remember that just like college, teams have to turn over game film to opponents before upcoming games. thus in reality there are few secrets in the NFL, and those are generally exposed fairly quickly once the game film is released.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
all the teams tape not only all the plays in each game, but the signal callers as well. the problem is that when you tape from the sidelines, you are adding personal on the field that can interfere with game officials. its bad enough with all the photographers on the sidelines, now add more camera personal ot the mix. where are you going to put them all?

also remember that just like college, teams have to turn over game film to opponents before upcoming games. thus in reality there are few secrets in the NFL, and those are generally exposed fairly quickly once the game film is released.
Yes the Pats were taping signals, plays, whatever they could. So were other teams. The Pats just ignored the memo not to do it from the sidelines.

To me that's as simple as it gets. Yet that one variation of location turned the Pats into the biggest cheaters in NFL history.

Such a joke it was, as is DeflateGate. Public perception is by far the biggest reason all of this happens. And I and 99.99% sure (Ivory pure) that if it was any other team a lot of this discussion would not be happening. It is always true those at the top have a target on them. And the Pats have been riding the top for 14 years.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Yes the Pats were taping signals, plays, whatever they could. So were other teams. The Pats just ignored the memo not to do it from the sidelines.

To me that's as simple as it gets. Yet that one variation of location turned the Pats into the biggest cheaters in NFL history.

Such a joke it was, as is DeflateGate. Public perception is by far the biggest reason all of this happens. And I and 99.99% sure (Ivory pure) that if it was any other team a lot of this discussion would not be happening. It is always true those at the top have a target on them. And the Pats have been riding the top for 14 years.
I agree that public perception makes this a bigger mess than it should be but in fairness, you can't really blame anyone but the Patriots. Eventually, you have to pay the fiddler..

BTW, i don't think the Patriots are the biggest cheaters in NFL history but i do believe that their dynasty will never be held the same light as the 60s Packers, 70s Steelers and 80s 49ers because of the scandals that they simply can't seem to avoid...

Old 05-15-2015, 12:31 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,149,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
How come the Falcons are getting trouble for making fake noise?
Sometimes when the referees makes call that no sense?
How come Suh did not get suspended for stepping on Aaron Rodgers ' calf twice but Brady does for deflating some balls?
NFl rules need to be reformed because they don't make any sense.
what about those do not make sense?

The Falcons are getting trouble because they manufactured noise when the other team was on offense to make it harder for them to call plays and audible. The seahawks seem to do it fine in the open air stadium with just fans, the Falcons could not do it with fans so they cheated. Easy call.

Sometimes when the referees makes call that no sense? Well, refs in all sports make bad calls. It happens.

How come Suh did not get suspended for stepping on Aaron Rodgers ' calf twice but Brady does for deflating some balls? Suh did not get suspended because they could not prove intent to harm on teh video. Suh has shown he does not care about intending to harm, because he has flat out hit and kicked people. This was a backwards step. It is what it is.
Brady was not suspended just for the footballs, the lies and refusal to cooperate with the investigation played a large part.

I agree some rules are dumb, but not the ones you cited.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I agree that public perception makes this a bigger mess than it should be but in fairness, you can't really blame anyone but the Patriots. Eventually, you have to pay the fiddler..

BTW, i don't think the Patriots are the biggest cheaters in NFL history but i do believe that their dynasty will never be held the same light as the 60s Packers, 70s Steelers and 80s 49ers because of the scandals that they simply can't seem to avoid...
I think the tarnish on the Pats is permanent, whether I believe they are cheaters or not, and if they are, if the indiscretions made that much of a difference in their W-L and achievements. One can only assume that pre media blitz that those dynasties had underlying issues no one found, because I am not naive enough to believe only the Pats get involved in such things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football