U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 01:05 PM

32,504 posts, read 26,398,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
I would love to see mandatory running plays. I'm not sure how you can do that without the defense having the advantage of knowing one of four downs will be a run play. But if they made rules to strengthen the run game it'd be good, plus longer possessions and fewer scores.
actually it makes it harder to defend since even though there are mandatory running plays at least once every series, if a team decides to build a solid running offense, they can run on first down, and then the defense might sit back and go after the passing game, but because the offense has a really good running game, they pop another run on second down, and keep the defense honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 11:11 AM

2,015 posts, read 2,016,655 times
Regain its popularity??? When was it popular?? The only reason I know it existed was because Kurt Warner played for some team in Iowa (I think).

Old 06-24-2015, 03:20 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,134,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Regain its popularity??? When was it popular?? The only reason I know it existed was because Kurt Warner played for some team in Iowa (I think).
The Iowa Barnstormers (aka: the Goggle Heads)! Kurt Warner was the QB when this team was very popular. They burst on the Arena Football scene in 1995 wearing helmets featuring old-fashioned pilot goggles!

Old 06-24-2015, 09:34 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,282,570 times
Arena football is embarrassing. Just stop.

It's set up to be lame... A 50-yard field? An arena just isn't big enough for football. The walls right on the sidelines kills a lot of tiptoe catching opportunities that are so exciting on a standard field as well... Too many flaws with the design of the game itself.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Arena football is embarrassing. Just stop.

It's set up to be lame... A 50-yard field? An arena just isn't big enough for football. The walls right on the sidelines kills a lot of tiptoe catching opportunities that are so exciting on a standard field as well... Too many flaws with the design of the game itself.
My guess is that Arena was meant to be some kind of option for those who needed it when regular football wasn't available.

Or for those who prefer an indoor venue due to miserable weather. Whatever the case may be, it does seem to have some kind of a cult following, but has never been all that it was hoped to be.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:02 AM

939 posts, read 649,424 times
It's not real football- there's no defense.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:03 PM

32,504 posts, read 26,398,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
My guess is that Arena was meant to be some kind of option for those who needed it when regular football wasn't available.

Or for those who prefer an indoor venue due to miserable weather. Whatever the case may be, it does seem to have some kind of a cult following, but has never been all that it was hoped to be.
at least arena football has continued on while the XFL folded.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
That's true, isn't it?

Old 06-26-2015, 11:43 PM

224 posts, read 218,715 times
Quote:
whether they have an adequate running game or not, it would force the teams to run the ball at least once per series of downs, and of course that would force the teams to develop a running game.
We are almost at the point of being able to say the same about the NFL.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:33 PM

1,743 posts, read 961,349 times
Quote:
I was really trying to root for the United Football League (2009-12) and its Omaha franchise had a solid fanbase that sold out most of its games in its inaugural season. (24,000-seat Rosenblatt Stadium) But the league never had more than five teams in a season and its financial debt was killer. It had a chance to take advantage of a possible NFL lockout but never got itself in position to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or