Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2018, 09:11 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
So what's the word on the Giants draft? As a Redskins fan I really hope they don't take Barkley but that to me is the clear move to make.
My guess is:

If the Browns take Darnold, the Giants will take DE Chubb out of NC State...
If the Browns pick anyone else, the Giants will take Darnold.

Something tells me they are not going to take Barkley...but that is my guess. And that assumes they dont trade down...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 09:19 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,616,289 times
Quote:
So what's the word on the Giants draft? As a Redskins fan I really hope they don't take Barkley but that to me is the clear move to make.
Taking a RB #2 overall and turning down a kings randsom in draft capital in a trade down with a QB needy team would be foolish.

If you really got to have Barkley then at least shake the Jets down for an extra third rounder and trade back one spot with them.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:51 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
I agree with the last 2 posts, the Giants are in a great position to trade back. And with the release of JPP they need an edge rusher too. But to me as a Redskins fan cutting a pass rusher and then drafting one is kind of a lateral move. I'm glad to hear Barkley is not a done deal, that guy scares me and it's a huge need for you. And I'm not a guy who is a big fan of drafting a RB early. I laughed at Dallas when they took Zeke, worked out pretty well for them.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I agree with the last 2 posts, the Giants are in a great position to trade back. And with the release of JPP they need an edge rusher too. But to me as a Redskins fan cutting a pass rusher and then drafting one is kind of a lateral move. I'm glad to hear Barkley is not a done deal, that guy scares me and it's a huge need for you. And I'm not a guy who is a big fan of drafting a RB early. I laughed at Dallas when they took Zeke, worked out pretty well for them.
I knew Zeke to Dallas would be a problem and help the Cowboys a lot. I know you shouldnt take a RB early, but I knew Elliott was the real deal. The big surprise in that draft for Dallas really ended up being Dak.

As for the Giants, I think they would trade down, but only so far. If they cant take one of the "big 3" non-QB prospects (Chubb, Barkley, Nelson the lineman from ND) they wont do it. Thus, I dont think the Giants will trade with Buffalo at this present time because if they pick at 12, they will miss one of those three. If the Giants could trade down, to say, six where they could reasonably still expect one of those 3 to still be on the board, I think they would strongly consider it. Otherwise, they are going to sit at 2, and pull the trigger.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
As for the Giants, I think they would trade down, but only so far. If they cant take one of the "big 3" non-QB prospects (Chubb, Barkley, Nelson the lineman from ND) they wont do it. Thus, I dont think the Giants will trade with Buffalo at this present time because if they pick at 12, they will miss one of those three. If the Giants could trade down, to say, six where they could reasonably still expect one of those 3 to still be on the board, I think they would strongly consider it. Otherwise, they are going to sit at 2, and pull the trigger.
Yep. Exactly the way I see it too. I think Beane (Bills GM) is trying hard to work a deal with either the Browns, Broncos or Colts to get to 4-6. With at least three QBs going in the top six picks at minimum that would guarantee the Giants one of those three players still available even as far down as pick #6.

I think part of the problem though is that even though the Broncos say they are willing to trade out of #5, I think they are also wanting to see in what order the QBs go off the board. My guess is Elway has at least one if not two QBs in this draft he would take at #5 if they are still on the board. But the problem with that is Broncos might not be willing to trade then until after the #2 or #3 pick. Too late to move up at that point.

Similarly, Colts may want to move out of #6 but it again may depend on whether or not Chubb is still available. A deal needs to be made before the draft starts ideally.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:40 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
If he is there you take Barkley he is that good .I all so think the Giants still might take a QB but not at #2 over all.The Giants have so many needs there isn't a lot they could do wrong and I would not be opposed to them trading back but again if Barkley is there you take him,I just don't think any of the QB's in this draft are worth the # 2 pick over all.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:31 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
So they did exactly as I feared, and it was clearly the right pick. You just don't pass when you get the chance to get a talent like this. Next they grab a top guard which was obviously another huge need. The G-men just completely changed their outlook.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
So they did exactly as I feared, and it was clearly the right pick. You just don't pass when you get the chance to get a talent like this. Next they grab a top guard which was obviously another huge need. The G-men just completely changed their outlook.
And they grabbed a top guard (Hernandez) with their next pick. I like what the Giants have done.

Everyone seems to agree that Barkley is a truly special talent. Yet, there is a lot of people who think it is a bad pick because of the position. I dont agree.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Everyone seems to agree that Barkley is a truly special talent. Yet, there is a lot of people who think it is a bad pick because of the position. I dont agree.
It's a very complicated situation. Whether Barkley was the correct pick or not may not be clear for 5-6 years unless a couple things happen right away.

1. Darnold busts quickly.

2. Eli plays well for a couple more seasons and Barkley plays at an all-pro level out of the gate with the Giants making the playoffs in either 2018 or 2019, if not both years.

Otherwise, so much depends on where the Giants go post Eli, which might not begin until the 2020 or 2021 season. Personally, I only see Eli playing two more seasons. So in 2020, will Darnold look like a franchise QB? Will the Giants have a legitimate QB to replace Eli? If Darnold looks like a legitimate franchise QB, then Barkley better not just be a pro-bowl RB. He better be having a LT or Marhsall Faulk type start to his career.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:52 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
I think NY made the right moves. They've shored up the OL, I think Eli still has some in the tank, and Barkley is a HR hitter. If the D performs they'll be real good. Eli dropping the ball to a back in space is his game and now that back is Barkley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football