U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-07-2018, 10:54 AM
 
Location: NYC
13,017 posts, read 8,821,841 times
Reputation: 14325

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Beckham is a top 3 receiver in the league, period. Are you kidding? And by Ingram, do you mean the Giants former WR? He of zero 1,000 yard seasons and zero Pro Bowls? Really? Oh, you mean the guy that OBJ is already within 300 yards of his career receiving yards? That guy? Really? No, I like Ingram, but he cant hold a candle to OBJ, and if you are asking me to study Eli, you need to study OBJ. Oh, yeah, the guy with the routine drops has only ONE this season. That is a routine, I suppose.

And Im sorry, there is no defending McAdoo. Learning? If anything, he was going backwards. And, again, if you are going to bench Eli, which I could understand, play Webb NOT Geno Smith. He wasnt even smart enough to handle the benching correctly.

As for Eli, the problem I am now seeing is that when he does get time, when he is getting a clean pocket, he is missing receivers--in some cases, he is missing badly. That is a cause for concern. One thing he used to be able to do was throw deep. In Gilbride's offense, the Giants routinely threw down the field, and Eli was good at that. But he has been abused over the past few seasons, and I wonder if he is just to shell-shocked to make competent throws consistently.
It doesn't matter if OBJ is a top receiver, he is not getting the ball. He said he invested everything into this contract and season. He could have signed with the Rams and it would've worked out better than being at the Giants which he most likely will never win a superbowl ring. Eli isn't improving he has been consistently bad even in 16' which they won 11 games because they had an easier schedule. The schedule this year is just way too tough for them and they haven't even play the Eagles and Redskins yet.

OBJ is unnecessary because they have Shepard and Engram (not Ingram) who doesn't drop passes like OBJ does often on routine catchable balls. Barkley is now Eli's favorite receiver since throwing for 5 yard to Barkley is his favorite play.

The most telling stat has been they haven't been able to score more than 20 pts for over 2 years now and that's a NFL record and something you don't want and Eli has been the centered of this stat while he's with his 3rd coach in 3 years. How many more coaches do we need? He's not a rookie, you make him sound like he's a rookie that can't handle pressure.

Ben Roethlisberger takes more hits and pressure than Eli in his whole career because he escapes the pocket is not afraid of throwing and running out of the pocket and he is still throwing TDs and putting up big numbers.

I am tired of Giants fans giving Eli the benefit of the doubt and accepting his mediocrity. Many teams have the same problem with their offensive line and they adapt and make adjustments. There's no excuse the Giants spent big money and get the same results season after season and they refuse to bench Eli.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2018, 11:02 AM
 
Location: NYC
13,017 posts, read 8,821,841 times
Reputation: 14325
My prediction for Panthers game is 35-17 Panthers. I think Eli will score maybe 1-2 passing touch downs once the Panthers made the game unreachable. Giants cannot establish the run and Eli being pressured will likely results in lots of punting. That Giants defense will get worn down by Newton, they've over worked the last 4 games because Eli's offense can't stay on the field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2018, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Here or There
3,965 posts, read 2,519,992 times
Reputation: 1658
Giants have started this game with some sloppy tackling...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2018, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Here or There
3,965 posts, read 2,519,992 times
Reputation: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It doesn't matter if OBJ is a top receiver, he is not getting the ball. He said he invested everything into this contract and season. He could have signed with the Rams and it would've worked out better than being at the Giants which he most likely will never win a superbowl ring. Eli isn't improving he has been consistently bad even in 16' which they won 11 games because they had an easier schedule. The schedule this year is just way too tough for them and they haven't even play the Eagles and Redskins yet.

OBJ is unnecessary because they have Shepard and Engram (not Ingram) who doesn't drop passes like OBJ does often on routine catchable balls. Barkley is now Eli's favorite receiver since throwing for 5 yard to Barkley is his favorite play.

The most telling stat has been they haven't been able to score more than 20 pts for over 2 years now and that's a NFL record and something you don't want and Eli has been the centered of this stat while he's with his 3rd coach in 3 years. How many more coaches do we need? He's not a rookie, you make him sound like he's a rookie that can't handle pressure.

Ben Roethlisberger takes more hits and pressure than Eli in his whole career because he escapes the pocket is not afraid of throwing and running out of the pocket and he is still throwing TDs and putting up big numbers.

I am tired of Giants fans giving Eli the benefit of the doubt and accepting his mediocrity. Many teams have the same problem with their offensive line and they adapt and make adjustments. There's no excuse the Giants spent big money and get the same results season after season and they refuse to bench Eli.
Unnecessary? Why would you give away a weapon such as OBJ? That is ludicrous. You dont want Eli, fine. But you get rid of OBJ and bring in another QB with less weapons? And Engram has been horrible with dropped passes. Talking about dropping routine passes.

I do agree this streak of not scoring 30 points is ridiculous. However, I just dont put all of it on Manning. The O-line has been terrible. The running game non-existent. Big Ben? The guy that can throw darts with defenders holding on to him? The same guy who has had Le'Veon Bell as his RB? And, no, his offensive line has been better than Eli's the past 3 years.

You are acting like the whole mess is Manning's and it isnt. He is part of the mess, yes. Is he the whole mess, no. And you continue to defend McAdoo as if he was an even average coach. Yeah, if you screwed up hiring a coach (which they did) then yes, you need another coach. They probably should not have canned Coughlin; but it has now been 2 coaches in 3 years.

I am tired of people acting like it is all Eli's fault, and it isnt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2018, 11:31 AM
 
Location: NYC
13,017 posts, read 8,821,841 times
Reputation: 14325
You see why OBJ is not a good teammate? He's calling out his teammates. And he was responsible with giving up a TD instead of doing his job. Had OBJ signed with other teams the Giants received a pick and cap space. He's got great talent but it's not like Giants are short on receivers.

With Eli, you must have a stud o-line and pro defense. The Giants have none because Mara elected to overpay for 3 players vs having enough money to protect Eli. Eli had limited mobility and can't extend the play. Barkley can't run without good blocks.

Giants put $17mil in OBJ and other teams can shut you down easily. We can't establish the run and Eli cant extend a down and get sacked easily.

How do you fix this? You cant just built a o-line in one offseason. They've had so many losing seasons and the last great line Eli had ended in 2012.

They should've picked Zack Martin over OBJ and Eli would be better off. Now Eli is not viable along with OBJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2018, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Here or There
3,965 posts, read 2,519,992 times
Reputation: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You see why OBJ is not a good teammate? He's calling out his teammates. And he was responsible with giving up a TD instead of doing his job. Had OBJ signed with other teams the Giants received a pick and cap space. He's got great talent but it's not like Giants are short on receivers.

With Eli, you must have a stud o-line and pro defense. The Giants have none because Mara elected to overpay for 3 players vs having enough money to protect Eli. Eli had limited mobility and can't extend the play. Barkley can't run without good blocks.

Giants put $17mil in OBJ and other teams can shut you down easily. We can't establish the run and Eli cant extend a down and get sacked easily.

How do you fix this? You cant just built a o-line in one offseason. They've had so many losing seasons and the last great line Eli had ended in 2012.

They should've picked Zack Martin over OBJ and Eli would be better off. Now Eli is not viable along with OBJ.
Cap space, true. But you would have never got true trade draft pick value out of OBJ. Yep, I saw OBJ's display of being a terrible teammate. Did you see him go over 130 yards receiving and throw the TD pass to Barkley? You know that play worked because the entire defense was worried about what OBJ would do. You know defenses are going to follow Shephard or Engram like that, right?

And did Mara overpay three players? Or, did Reese just draft average (Pugh) to terrible (Flowers) offensive lineman--when he did pick them--over the past few seasons? You know that signing other teams' lineman always leads to overpaying players? You are mad that Mara, in your opinion, overpaid for 3 players, but you want him/GM to go to the FA market and fix the line? How would that work? Talk about overpaying...

And we agree right here. You also cant fix an anemic pass rush in one year when you have refused to draft linebackers in this century...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 10:40 AM
 
Location: VA
689 posts, read 339,941 times
Reputation: 267
Just read y'all cut Flowers. Not really a surprise but thought he was gonna last until end of season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,668 posts, read 33,522,553 times
Reputation: 32435
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
Just read y'all cut Flowers. Not really a surprise but thought he was gonna last until end of season.
In fairness to Ereck, the 2015 first round was not great for O linemen. Scherff has been good in DC. Peat has been solid but not spectacular in New Orleans. Otherwise you have other busts like Tomlinson, Erving, Ogbuhehi, and Humphries. I think if Ereck moves inside and gets another chance elsewhere he can be redeemed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 02:57 PM
 
Location: NYC
13,017 posts, read 8,821,841 times
Reputation: 14325
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Cap space, true. But you would have never got true trade draft pick value out of OBJ. Yep, I saw OBJ's display of being a terrible teammate. Did you see him go over 130 yards receiving and throw the TD pass to Barkley? You know that play worked because the entire defense was worried about what OBJ would do. You know defenses are going to follow Shephard or Engram like that, right?

And did Mara overpay three players? Or, did Reese just draft average (Pugh) to terrible (Flowers) offensive lineman--when he did pick them--over the past few seasons? You know that signing other teams' lineman always leads to overpaying players? You are mad that Mara, in your opinion, overpaid for 3 players, but you want him/GM to go to the FA market and fix the line? How would that work? Talk about overpaying...

And we agree right here. You also cant fix an anemic pass rush in one year when you have refused to draft linebackers in this century...
I loved that play OBJ threw to Barkley, that was good entertainment. But him trying to outsmart the opponent on the punt return was dumb move. He's trying to be an entertainer all the time but forget that he needs to do his job right. Countless times he tries to be overly flashy and cost the team time and points. Giants doesn't need a flashy player that wants the ball every down. Barkley should be the player. Eli needs 3 decent receivers and use the extra money on pass protection.

Reese had been terrible at the draft last 6 years. He's only hit the bullseye on OBJ. But he could've helped Eli alot had Zack Martin been drafted over OBJ. He thought with Flowers and Pugh they got enough, 2 players they no longer have. Now you've got a gun shy Eli and OBJ not being utilized. Even Barkley is being wasted with such a mediocre line. He has to break 1-2 tackles every run while you watch other RBs go untouched for 10+ yards.

Mara and Reese have been terrible because they tried to fix the team through FA and they've overpaid on key positions instead of having a bunch of decent guys.

Look how quickly Coughlin is able to fix the Jags yet Reese and Mara never gave him any input on how to rebuild the team. Eli was better under Coughlin and Gilbride. If they don't fix the defense and the o-line then start looking for a new QB. Eli is il-equipped for a leaky pass protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 07:07 AM
 
Location: Here or There
3,965 posts, read 2,519,992 times
Reputation: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I loved that play OBJ threw to Barkley, that was good entertainment. But him trying to outsmart the opponent on the punt return was dumb move. He's trying to be an entertainer all the time but forget that he needs to do his job right. Countless times he tries to be overly flashy and cost the team time and points. Giants doesn't need a flashy player that wants the ball every down. Barkley should be the player. Eli needs 3 decent receivers and use the extra money on pass protection.

Reese had been terrible at the draft last 6 years. He's only hit the bullseye on OBJ. But he could've helped Eli alot had Zack Martin been drafted over OBJ. He thought with Flowers and Pugh they got enough, 2 players they no longer have. Now you've got a gun shy Eli and OBJ not being utilized. Even Barkley is being wasted with such a mediocre line. He has to break 1-2 tackles every run while you watch other RBs go untouched for 10+ yards.

Mara and Reese have been terrible because they tried to fix the team through FA and they've overpaid on key positions instead of having a bunch of decent guys.

Look how quickly Coughlin is able to fix the Jags yet Reese and Mara never gave him any input on how to rebuild the team. Eli was better under Coughlin and Gilbride. If they don't fix the defense and the o-line then start looking for a new QB. Eli is il-equipped for a leaky pass protection.
For the most part, I dont disagree with your take here.

I will give Reese credit on Landon Collins, who for a second there was really looking great. He seems to have regressed some this season, or is that just me?

And remember when people hated Gilbride? He doesnt really look so bad now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top